Recalled/Assigned: 2016-17 Recalls

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nesterov, Paquette and Bishop all starting tomorrow night. Cooper says he doesn't want to change a lineup that's working.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
So looks like Drou might be out a while with a concussion, what do we do now? I don't think Conacher is a good fit, and Nesterov hasn't looked at all good either. Would be nice to have Marchy in a spot like this, lol.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So looks like Drou might be out a while with a concussion, what do we do now? I don't think Conacher is a good fit, and Nesterov hasn't looked at all good either. Would be nice to have Marchy in a spot like this, lol.

Conacher did fine... and we have more than enough firepower without Drouin, nothing to sweat.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Keep Koekkoek up for good. He had a great game. The kids just oozes potential. Skating, instinct and passing ability, he can be a top 4 guy if we would actually give him a chance

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Koekkoek will likely have a lot of growing pains, but this feels like a good time to get those out of the way. So hopefully Coop doesn't Coop and this kid plays every game he's available for.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Koekkoek will likely have a lot of growing pains, but this feels like a good time to get those out of the way. So hopefully Coop doesn't Coop and this kid plays every game he's available for.

Cant be worse than Nesterov.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cant be worse than Nesterov.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go through stretches where he's our worst defenseman. We were all very high on Nesterov in his first handful of NHL games too. These guys tend to come back to earth after an initial high. We'll see what that looks like for Slater. ...Hopefully.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go through stretches where he's our worst defenseman. We were all very high on Nesterov in his first handful of NHL games too. These guys tend to come back to earth after an initial high. We'll see what that looks like for Slater. ...Hopefully.

With Garrison on the team I doubt there's a night where Koekkoek is the worst defenseman.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

Did Nesterov ever look as good as KK did in the POs last year (in terms of just raw talent)?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Did Nesterov ever look as good as KK did in the POs last year (in terms of just raw talent)?

Probably, but it was in the regular season. There was a ten game stretch where he was getting a lot of pucks on net and rarely getting exposed. We all wanted him playing over Carle or Sustr (both of whom were playing like trash). In the playoffs, he came back down to earth, and has been getting worse ever since.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not comparing Koekkoek to Nesterov. I'm just using Nesterov as an example of what we often see with prospects (Gudas, Drouin). They come in on a high, play really well for a while, but then the schedule (or something) begins to overwhelm them. I doubt Koekkoek will get as bad as Nes has been over the last ten games, but, unless he's the most poised prospect we've seen in years, he's going to have some rough patches.

My whole point in saying all this is that I hope Cooper lets him play through those rough patches, which is something he hasn't done with other players (at least until they've gained a certain amount of experience).

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Probably, but it was in the regular season. There was a ten game stretch where he was getting a lot of pucks on net and rarely getting exposed. We all wanted him playing over Carle or Sustr (both of whom were playing like trash). In the playoffs, he came back down to earth, and has been getting worse ever since.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not comparing Koekkoek to Nesterov. I'm just using Nesterov as an example of what we often see with prospects (Gudas, Drouin). They come in on a high, play really well for a while, but then the schedule (or something) begins to overwhelm them. I doubt Koekkoek will get as bad as Nes has been over the last ten games, but, unless he's the most poised prospect we've seen in years, he's going to have some rough patches.

My whole point in saying all this is that I hope Cooper lets him play through those rough patches, which is something he hasn't done with other players (at least until they've gained a certain amount of experience).

I hear you. Speaking of Gudas, man, has he improved.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
When it comes to Nesterov, can't ignore the fact that he was coddled in the 44 NHL games (27 of which came in the regular season) he spent breaking into the league in 2014-2015 to an extent that, whether by design or circumstance, others--see: Barberio, Mark--did not.

Once transitioned last season from the closely-managed minutes he was initially getting (a substantial chunk of which came alongside Stralman), the sledding got tougher for Nesterov and the team's results with him on the ice has become mixed. Thus, I think, a general sense his play has declined. And it very well may have, though, going from a heavy dose of Stralman to generous mix of Coburn, Garrison and Sustr was always going to take some of the shine off.

To my (very flawed) eyes, Nesterov still strikes me much as he always has--aggressive to the occasional fault in the attacking third of the ice where he's at his best while most vulnerable having to battle along the boards or the net-front in his own end. I don't think, given his skill-set and size much can be done regarding my assessment, if is accurate, though I would stress I think he provides a net-positive most nights.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
As long as it allows them to roll 4 lines and not go with 7/11. It hasn't been working. Too many D getting too many minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00