2016-17 Minnesota Wild General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
For all their shots, the Oanthers didn't look too dangerous last night, and less than fierce on defense.
Felt like the refs were all from Florida... Most one sided game all year.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Zucker also has 4 goals and 10 points in 10 games since being put on the Granlund/Koivu line. Obviously don't expect him to hold that pace, but he's been on a serious roll.

The thing about Zucker too is making sure he's building his confidence. If he believes he is a goal-scorer and point-producer, then he'll keep playing like one. He's just had so many roller-coaster seasons so far in his career and I attribute some of that to him and Yeo not being on the same page. He'd go on a tear and then have a down game and get sent to the 4th line where you could tell he'd lost that goal-scoring bravado. Expecting him to keep up his current pace is beyond overzealous, but keeping him on this line and building him up as a legitimate scoring threat is one of the best things that can happen to Zucker (and the Wild) at this stage in his career.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Some stuff on the Wild in Elliotte Friedmans 30 thoughts.

The relevant passages:

...One trade rumour that was denied to me: Spooner to Minnesota for Matt Dumba.

17. Eric Staal’s been a great fit in Minnesota. The Wild have, at times, looked like an Eastern team in the Western conference. Quick and skilled, but lacking the kind of grinder down the middle to ease the load on Mikko Koivu. Staal addresses that need.

I’d heard he was really disappointed in himself after last season, and changed his regimen to deal with that. Staal is very proud and played down the “disappointed†aspect, but admitted he started skating earlier than he used to in the off-season. He’d go on the ice with brothers Jared, Jordan and Marc, “to fool around with the puck,†as much as anything.

19. Tyler Graovac had some good lines about gaining coach Bruce Boudreau’s trust.

“In training camp, [Bruce] made it very clear he didn’t know who I was,†Graovac said last week. “I knew I had some work to do.â€

As we move into December, the winger has moved the needle.

How did he know he’d moved up in Boudreau’s world?

“When he called me by my nickname,†was the reply.

When was that?

“Calgary. He said, ‘Grayo, that’s the way we need you to play.’ When your coaches call you by your nickname, you’re in a good spot.â€

20. One of the Boudreau quotes we couldn’t fit into our driving tour of Toronto was about the 1975 NHL draft, where he went 42nd to the Maple Leafs.

“We won the Memorial Cup and the late [Toronto assistant GM] John McLellan…said to me, ‘We draft seventh and we’re gonna take you, but we don’t think you’re gonna be there.’ And I was all pretty gung-ho about that. Then the infamous streaking incident occurred, and I got drafted 42nd, so I don’t know what went on there. That same week I had a meeting with Oakland and my agent was Bill Watters, he told me that I was No. 1 on Oakland’s list and they picked third and I thought ‘Geez, well everything’s gonna come up roses’…I don’t know what happened, but I went second pick in the third round…I wouldn’t say the shock, but the disappointment, frankly, of going that low, I was proud as a peacock of being a Leaf.â€

You mentioned the infamous streaking incident. There’s a whole generation of fans that don’t know that story. Without getting us all fired, can you tell us what happened?

“In 1976, the streaking thing from the song, it was a big deal. Everyone was doing it. And it seemed our team, which was a really tight team, we streaked everywhere. Except me. I never did it once. When we won the Memorial Cup, we were out, I said, ‘C’mon guys, I’ve never done it, let’s go do it.’ And we did it in a bar, and evidently two plain-cloths police officers were there and they caught us. Charges were eventually dropped. It was not a good thing on my resume at the time, two weeks before the draft.â€

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
From Boudreau's interview this morning

- Bruce is very impressed with Spurgeon, couldn't believe he was as good as he was told, didn't play against him much so he didn't have experience seeing him play - raved about his play/skill.

- Bruce says Gabriel allows the other players to be more aggressive and confident. Responsible defensively, finishes checks, protects players. Doesn't think it's a coincidence we've gone 5-0 with him in the line-up.

- Staal gives us 2 big, strong, centers that can both play against any line in the league. Staal is a very positive guy, still the Staal he knew and went against in Washington

- Parise's also been fighting a Flu-bug.

- Russo, wondering if Bruce misses California weather/the pool "I'm never by the pool. This body does not shed Clothing" :laugh::laugh:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
From Boudreau's interview this morning

- Bruce is very impressed with Spurgeon, couldn't believe he was as good as he was told, didn't play against him much so he didn't have experience seeing him play - raved about his play/skill.

- Bruce says Gabriel allows the other players to be more aggressive and confident. Responsible defensively, finishes checks, protects players. Doesn't think it's a coincidence we've gone 5-0 with him in the line-up.

- Staal gives us 2 big, strong, centers that can both play against any line in the league. Staal is a very positive guy, still the Staal he knew and went against in Washington

- Parise's also been fighting a Flu-bug.

- Russo, wondering if Bruce misses California weather/the pool "I'm never by the pool. This body does not shed Clothing" :laugh::laugh:

I'm telling you, everyone involved with this team loves Spurgeon. Underrated and not going anywhere.

Also got a good chuckle out of the pool quote when he said that. :laugh:

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I'm not a fan of +/- really at all anymore, but it's still pretty cool to have some players near the top of the league right now. Suter/Zucker +17 tied for second. Spurgeon +14.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm not a fan of +/- really at all anymore, but it's still pretty cool to have some players near the top of the league right now. Suter/Zucker +17 tied for second. Spurgeon +14.

I don't mind the stat. It's a nice rough estimate of how players/lines are in a 2-way sense, without digging into adv stats. I like it better for d-men than FWDs. :)

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I find +/- to be more useful at the extremes. Really high or really low shows more trend than fluke. But within the vast middle where most players are its hard to use.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
I know some people around here don't like p/60, but Zucker is 3rd in the league for p/60 with over 300 minutes played (behind Crosby and Saad) and 9th in the league for 5-on-5 points..

If everyone keeps up their play Fletcher is going to have some tough decisions for expansion! I really hope he can persuade at least Pommer to waive his NTC.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker is playing great. His speed to the outside is a constant threat...a lofted pass to the neutral zone becomes dangerous when he's on the ice. He will also make Dmen back into the D zone so as not to get beaten... Which is great for for carrying, as opposed to dumping the puck in.
Speed does so much.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Zucker is playing great. His speed to the outside is a constant threat...a lofted pass to the neutral zone becomes dangerous when he's on the ice. He will also make Dmen back into the D zone so as not to get beaten... Which is great for for carrying, as opposed to dumping the puck in.
Speed does so much.
It helps that our D pairs are looking great on puck retrievals and the forwards are breaking up plays through the neutral zones. It creates better opportunities for counterattacks the other way.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It helps that our D pairs are looking great on puck retrievals and the forwards are breaking up plays through the neutral zones. It creates better opportunities for counterattacks the other way.

Yup. Brodin, Spurgeon, and Suter are either elite or near elite at fetching and moving the puck. Scandella and Folin looked oddly good the other night, too, but I want to see them play a better team before I get too enthused. Certainly can bring bit of thump.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Interesting stat:

Stewart 5v5 primary points 4+1

Nylander 5v5 primary points 2+3

Zucker 14pts. Tied NHL 7th with Paccioretty, JVR, Grabner, Marchand.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It Suter averages about 25min. TOI this year it will leave a lot more in the tank for the playoffs.

BTW, has Suter ever been injured? I know he had the mumps, but that's the only time I can remember him missing.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
But, I thought that Suter ran to Uncle Craig to cry on his shoulder when he didn't get enough playing time? Suter must be absolutely miserable on this team!

Hahaha, love it. Can't believe that narrative was around here at some point, I'll just leave it at that.

It Suter averages about 25min. TOI this year it will leave a lot more in the tank for the playoffs.

BTW, has Suter ever been injured? I know he had the mumps, but that's the only time I can remember him missing.

I was also thinking about this recently. I think he was shortly one other time, but his "healthiness" has been fantastic so far. Which yes, does correlate to how he actually plays the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad