2016-17 Minnesota Wild General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
It's super annoying reading everyone on the main boards saying Carey Price is running away with the Vezina when Dubnyk has had better stats this year except for wins. Someone even posted that Price has won more games with 2+ goal leads when Dubnyk has lost many games this year because the Wild haven't been abled to score 2 goals or more. I know it is a long way to go but Dubnyk deserves credit for what he has done so far this year :rant:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just think how boring the Central is going to be next year. Wild, Nashville, Blues all playing the same tight defensive game. Feel bad for the Jets (or other open systems) fans, they could have weeks of watching basically the same game over and over and over. :popcorn:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It's super annoying reading everyone on the main boards saying Carey Price is running away with the Vezina when Dubnyk has had better stats this year except for wins. Someone even posted that Price has won more games with 2+ goal leads when Dubnyk has lost many games this year because the Wild haven't been abled to score 2 goals or more. I know it is a long way to go but Dubnyk deserves credit for what he has done so far this year :rant:
I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, I'd prefer that Dubs fly under the radar and that not a lot of fuss is made about him. Because the first minute that he makes a mistake, everyone will be all over him. Habs' fans take it pretty damn seriously whenever anyone questions Price, because he's their lifeline. If he's out, it's over. So let them. Who cares. It always comes back to bite them in the tail anyway. Wait until the season is over, see how far both guys go, and then battle it out with them. There's a lot of hockey left, so discussing the Vezina is pointless. Both goalies could get hurt, both could hit major slumps, both could play crazy good.....it could be them or 3 other completely different crease monkeys that get up for that award in June. Point is, we know how well Dubs is playing, and he knows that we appreciate it. If other fans don't care to recognize it, then #@$! them. They aren't worth our time.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A running theme this year.

Wonder if he pushed himself too hard to get back into shape. Back injuries are no joke. Sadly, this might be a benefit for Minnesota if they can get him on LTIR and his contract out of the way.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wonder if he pushed himself too hard to get back into shape. Back injuries are no joke. Sadly, this might be a benefit for Minnesota if they can get him on LTIR and his contract out of the way.

If it's his back (and not just player decline). it might be best if he opted for a surgery to try and fix it this year (out for the rest of the season). Get an upcoming UFA rental or two for the rest of the year. Hope Parise is fixed for next season.

He's too big of a contract to work around unless he's permanent LTIR, if it's questionable then the Wild have to account for his cap hit during UFA signings or trades.

He looks off the way Pommer did last year, not injured just off. It seems to be injuries accelerated natural decline.

Maybe he came back (no pun intended) too soon with the WCH? Maybe injury this year isn't fully healed, or aggravated his back? Maybe he's 100% healthy and this is the player he is now?

All I know is the Wild can't afford $13m in Pommer/Parise as 3rd line players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Back surgery seldom " fixes" things., just makes the best of a bad situation. And that's for normal people, not elite athletes where slight differences in body function can result in a big loss in effectiveness. Until we actually know what the problem is, or even if there is a physical problem, we're just speculating.

I'm still pissed that Parise went to the WHC, rather than stay here and take care of his body.

Parise's poor play is the only fly in the Wild ointment at the moment. Coyle, Granlund, Nino, and Zucker are all on pace for career highs. Staal has been more than expected, allowing Koivu to fulfill the role of a #2C/1B, which he does very well. I don't know if I just have low expectations of Pominville now, but he actually looks to be playing better now. Yeah, he's overpaid, but he is a decent middle sixer. If it wasn't for the expansion draft I Wouldn't think of buying him out.

Haula is treading water somewhat, but he is playing acceptably, and Stewart seems to be showing signs of life, as does the whole 4 th line.

Now that Scandella and Dumba ( warts and all)seem to be back on track our D is just fine, with Suter logging a few less minutes than previous years, Spurgeon looking good, and Brodin playing some of his best hockey ever.

Throw in that our best player is Dubnyk and we are about the best we can reasonably expect, except for Parise. If he was playing like he normally does ( i.e. 60 pt. season)I think we might be a top 5 team.

My assumptions for performance are that Granlund, Coyle, and Nino will max out as a 50 point players, and Zucker as a 35-40 pt. player.

I don't think we have a rabbit to pull out of a hat to help the team from the system somewhere. Our leading scorers are Schroeder and Pulkinnen in Iowa, two players that have proven that they cannot transfer their production to the NHL. Tuch isn't setting the AHL on fire, and looks to need more time down there before he can be expected to be a contributor in the NHL. Players like Downing and Lucia seem to be offering no compelling reason to bring them up. Olofsson seems to be doing well, but at a position that we are really deep at.

Bottom line, Parise aside, this team is playing reasonably well. I would suspect that Fletcher will stand pat with what we have , and hope that Parise gets back to form. While he might window shop before the trade line, I don't see him doing anything unless a sweetheart deal presents itself. That might come about if, say, Dumba goes on a tear, which raises his value so;

- we decide to keep him (and his 2.5M salary), which would help slove some salary cap problems later on. This would allow us to consider moving, say, a Spurgeon and his 5.2M/ NTC salary.

- we decide to move him for a nice haul.

Done right, the deal might help us this year, but more importantly, if we get young players back it would help us down the line, ensuring that this team is competitive in the future. I'm just using Dumba and Spurgeon's name for example. It could be Brodin and Scandella, or whomever. Probably a Dman, though.

Easy for me to say. Trading Dumba is a risky thing for a Gm to do. He's the one guy who you could send away for an averagish middle sixer, then it can come back and bite you in the ass a la Burns/Leddy.

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I agree with everything above.^

What comes to Parise I actually think it's just a slump. He's doing everything the way he's done before. Except for scoring.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree with everything above.^

What comes to Parise I actually think it's just a slump. He's doing everything the way he's done before. Except for scoring.

I hope you're right, but fear you are wrong. I just hope it's a knee, not a back injury.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
I feel like the next three weeks are the key to the season. Recent history tells us the midwinter collapse begins in the second half of December. If we can avoid that, this is going to be a good year.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
#1 for goals against per game and #9 for goals for per game. Love the way BB has this team playing right now.

Edit: And just think if our power play could score every once in a while...

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Zucker now has 17 points in 28 games so far this season. Also, Brodin with 12 points in 28 games.

Both numbers kind of surprised me at first but made sense after thinking about them a bit more. Both guys are playing well to start the season and hopefully they keep momentum going throughout the season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker now has 17 points in 28 games so far this season. Also, Brodin with 12 points in 28 games.

Both numbers kind of surprised me at first but made sense after thinking about them a bit more. Both guys are playing well to start the season and hopefully they keep momentum going throughout the season.

I attribute both to the new coaching staff. Brodin has been given significant PP time, and his more aggressive offensive offensive play in general suggests to me that he has been encouraged by BB/Stevens to contribute more in that area. He tends towards passivity, and has to be jollied out of that.

Zucker, Zucker, Nino arguably, were the most scapegoated players on the Wild by Yeo. Goal scoring is a tough thing ....it needs to be coaxed out and flattered from a player. Some simply can't do it, and excel in other areas. If you do find a player who has that ability, you nurture him. They are a precious resource, and one that can run dry on you with a slight maladjustment.

I think that Zucker has simply been told that his job is to score, and he is going out and doing it. Doesn't hurt that he is playing with a defensive stalwart/ passer in Koivu, and a very good passer in Granlund.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Zucker also has 4 goals and 10 points in 10 games since being put on the Granlund/Koivu line. Obviously don't expect him to hold that pace, but he's been on a serious roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad