8. Friedman
9. Myers
10. Allison
11. Hagg
12. Aube-Kubel

After them, you can take your pick.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I love the idea of what Morin can bring even if he doesn't max out his potential. I like the idea that German can replace Giroux in two years if he reaches his potential so this was the toughest call so far. I need to see Myers have another season before I put him ahead of Morin or German.

Even if Morin ends up only being a second pairing guy he will still be a stalwart on the PK with his reach, size and strength. If they can match him up with other teams top lines plus protect his top players he will be a beast. Teams don't pencil enforcers or Guys that just intimidate into their line up anymore. Having a guy that can take regulars shifts let alone be a match up nightmare while offering the protection for his teammates will be a huge asset.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I love Myers and I've been a big Morin supporter since before the Flyers even drafted him. I have them on the same tier. I give the slight edge to Morin (I have Morin 5 and Myers 6) mostly due to the fact that I can see him fulfilling his role a little better than Myers in the NHL and he's closer to the show. I think if this system didn't have Gostisbehere, Provorov, and Sanheim, Myers would be a lot more appealing because he has better two-way potential. As such, Myers is most likely going to have to cut his teeth on the defensive side of the puck when he turns pro. Morin is bigger, faster, stronger, and tougher and probably better equipped to be an impact defender.

They are also closer in age than it may seem. They are separated by about 18 months. Morin was one of the youngest regulars in the AHL this year and Myers will be one of the oldest players in the CHL this year. When Myers turns pro next year, Morin will have 2 years of pro hockey under his belt. While I would agree Myers has fewer holes in his game, sometimes a 20 year old defenseman with holes in his game can be a good thing, especially when that player is known to be a hard worker. Despite being older, I think Morin has more room to improve and he's probably a guy that reaches his peak a lot later than the norm.

Myers is a great prospect and if people prefer him to Morin I can understand it. These two giants could be a pair someday!

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I couldn't disagree more. Myers has big time.upside. I've watched him a good amount and can't find a weakness in his game that won't smooth out with time and experience. You won't be able to convince me Morin has a higher ceiling than Myers.

Myers puck skills and confidence with the puck are way above Morin. Myers skating is also right with Morin. There's seriously no holes in his game. Just let him fill out and gain experience. Myers is pretty much the total package... and right-handed!

Alright, I am happy to hear that. I am excited that you think so highly of him. That's great, and I hope you are right. I have nothing against Myers, I like him a lot, obviously, and I am very happy to have him in our prospect pool but at this point I simply prefer Morin due to things that I pointed out in my previous post... I don't care where Morin was drafted, but I see his potential and it's important for me that he has great track record, in each season he showed some kind of progress, and this season he played in the AHL, where he looked pretty good.

All I want for Myers is to prove it. And be even better in the next season, or at least as good as he was in this season. I am really looking forward to see what he can do at the beginning of the season and whether he can get himself on Team Canada for the WJC.

It would be pretty great story. Undrafted player who was absolutely unknown (about 1.5 years ago) earns spot for himself on Team Canada for WJC which is also going to be played in Canada.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Alright, I am happy to hear that. I am excited that you think so highly of him. That's great, and I hope you are right. I have nothing against Myers, I like him a lot, obviously, and I am very happy to have him in our prospect pool but at this point I simply prefer Morin due to things that I pointed out in my previous post... I don't care where Morin was drafted, but I see his potential and it's important for me that he has great track record, in each season he showed some kind of progress, and this season he played in the AHL, where he looked pretty good.

All I want for Myers is to prove it. And be even better in the next season, or at least as good as he was in this season. I am really looking forward to see what he can do at the beginning of the season and whether he can get himself on Team Canada for the WJC.

It would be pretty great story. Undrafted player who was absolutely unknown (about 1.5 years ago) earns spot for himself on Team Canada for WJC which is also going to be played in Canada.

He is trying to be the next Joey Hicketts.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers likely stand to lose some guys this year to graduation so guys will move up just on that alone. However I think Labarge can make a big jump with this upcoming year. Outside of dealing with his personal issues he also was dealing with a wrist injury last year so you could very well see a big jump in his development this year.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Laberge also has an entirely different level of natural offensive talent than the vast majority of today's pool. I would think he'd be the consensus most likely to make a full tier plus jump.

I would have been happy with him at 18 if Rubtsov/Kunin/Bean/Bellows were gone, but I know I was in the minority there.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Tiers for me:

Provorov
Sanheim
Konecny

Morin
Rubtsov
Laberge
Myers

Lindblom
Aube-Kubel
Allison
Vorobyov
Friedman

Fazleev
Hagg
Leier
Marody

Bardreau
Dove-McFalls
Kase
Goulbourne
Martel
Weal

The rest I either havent seen enough of to judge or dont think they have NHL upside

I don't disagree with that list. I would maybe add Reece and alt to the bottom group too

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not saying he'll jump up to the top tier or anything but Bunnaman's a lesser guy now that I could see being viewed differently by the end of the year.

He should be making the jump from a checking role to a scoring role this upcoming year & his ES numbers were good last year despite that. So you could see another dimension into his game this year with an expanded role.

His name surfacing as potential piece going the other way when Konecny was being rumored to go to Kitchener last year.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently Bardreau is turning some heads. Some people think he could be a sleeper.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Morin is bigger, faster, stronger, and tougher and probably better equipped to be an impact defender.

Would you agree that Myers is the better skater? Obviously, you said faster but Myers seems like the better overall skater to me. Myers has that almost breathtaking Sanheim-like skating. He does that crazy edge 10-2 move when he carries the puck deep into the zone I don't see many people do. When Myers gets up on his skates it's unreal. No slight on Sammy here, I'm just wondering your opinion.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Apparently Bardreau is turning some heads. Some people think he could be a sleeper.

From people I've spoken to that played with Bardreau at Cornell, he was also a beloved player in the locker room. Seems like the kind of guy you want to see succeed.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Would you agree that Myers is the better skater? Obviously, you said faster but Myers seems like the better overall skater to me. Myers has that almost breathtaking Sanheim-like skating. He does that crazy edge 10-2 move when he carries the puck deep into the zone I don't see many people do. When Myers gets up on his skates it's unreal. No slight on Sammy here, I'm just wondering your opinion.

I think Myers is a better skater with the puck and in short areas. I like Morin's stride better. Obviously he's taller and that helps but it's a little smoother and more powerful. I've seen Myers play a lot, but I still don't know quite how fast he is. In the Q he stands out, but when Morin was in the Q he made some plays with his legs that were RIDICULOUS. The only high level competitions Myers has played in was the Super Series and the Memorial Cup. He moved well in the SS but compared to others I'd classify his speed as average and he was hurt in the Mem Cup. He's 19, so he can still improve and with a little more lower body strength and ironing out of his stride he could be a true plus skater.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
From people I've spoken to that played with Bardreau at Cornell, he was also a beloved player in the locker room. Seems like the kind of guy you want to see succeed.

+ He was essential part of the USA team at the 2013 WJC which won the Gold Medal. He played important role in the bottom 6 and PK unit, very good on face-offs.

He created great shutdown line with Ryan Hartman (CHI 1st round pick) and Blake Pietila (NJD pick) that faced opponent's top lines.

Pietila-Bardreau-Hartman

It was stacked US team which featured Gaudreau, Trouba, J.T. Miller, Galchenyuk. S. Jones, Trocheck, McCabe, Vesey, Gostisbehere, Murphy, Gibson. Outside of 2 games, other teams did not stand the chance.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But where would Bardreau fit in?

The bottom 6 will probably consist of:

Gordon
Weise
Bellemare
Read
Laughton
Cousins

Even if Read gets traded I'd assume Konecny will make the team first.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
But where would Bardreau fit in?

The bottom 6 will probably consist of:

Gordon
Weise
Bellemare
Read
Laughton
Cousins

Even if Read gets traded I'd assume Konecny will make the team first.

When everyone is healthy then he's not on the team. He will start the season in LV. I would be very surprised if he makes the team out of camp.

If someone in our bottom 6 gets injured, then he could be the 1st call-up, either Bardreau or Leier, I would imagine. Depends... a lot of variability and a lot of things to consider at given time.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When everyone is healthy then he's not on the team. He will start the season in LV. I would be very surprised if he makes the team out of camp.

If someone in our bottom 6 gets injured, then he could be the 1st call-up, either Bardreau or Leier, I would imagine. Depends... a lot of variability and a lot of things to consider at given time.

That's what I assumed but it sounded like people were saying he'd have a chance straight out of camp when everyone is healthy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Hexy was happy to let White leave, maybe he'll be happy to send VdV back to the Phantoms and replace him with Leier or Bardreau if one of them stand out in camp? They are young guys, but not that young - 22 and 23.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
That's what I assumed but it sounded like people were saying he'd have a chance straight out of camp when everyone is healthy.

He would need heck of a camp to make it all the way to opening roster. We have a lot of players who could be in our bottom 6, there will be a lot of competition.

Bardreau is already 22 years old and making impression on development camp. I am not surprised, there is a lot players who are still just kids on dev. camp. People are overestimating this impact, I would think.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Hexy was happy to let White leave, maybe he'll be happy to send VdV back to the Phantoms and replace him with Leier or Bardreau if one of them stand out in camp? They are young guys, but not that young - 22 and 23.

But VV has already been replaced.

We've subtracted him and White and they've been replaced by Weise and Gordon. If we want to add anyone else there needs to be another subtraction.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Schenn ain't playing the first three games, so someone like VdV or Weal or Bardreau will be.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But VV has already been replaced.

We've subtracted him and White and they've been replaced by Weise and Gordon. If we want to add anyone else there needs to be another subtraction.

Unless Read is traded, I do see VandeVelde starting the season as a healthy scratch. Barring a terrible camp from either Laughton or Cousins and assuming full health.

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Raffl - Couturier - Voracek
Laughton - Cousins - Weise
Read - Gordon - Bellemare

VandeVelde

I'd really prefer to see Read moved and Leier take his spot on the 4th line. Not only would he do a better job in that role, but he would do it at like 1/3 the price.

Edit: Forgot about Schenn's bogus suspension. Looks like VandeVelde still has a shot but hopefully Leier has a terrific camp and preseason so we can keep that stiff out of the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad