Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #4

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Same here. Rubstov offers two way play at C. Morin offers defense and size. In today's league, I think I prefer the former slightly more than the later. Until I see Morin's offense translating more professionally, I am under the assumption that he's going to be a lot more Hatcher than Charra.

Morin most likely won't be put in a situation to become a Chara. At least not here anyway.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I like the Rubtsov selection, but there's simply too many risks and unknowns for me to slot him above Morin and Myers at this point. He'll be #6 for me, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was #2 next year (assuming Provorov graduates).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I went with Rubstov. The guy is getting a lot of praise. It is admittedly based more on what I have read/heard than what I've seen, but everyone seems to be a lot higher on Rubstov than they ever were on Morin.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Went with Rubtsov here, Morin would be next in line for me. Morin I think has a very high ceiling but I'm not absolutely sure that he will reach that ceiling, meanwhile Rubtsov seems to be a good bet for a future #2C with a lower variance on either side of this projection. Admittedly, since HS went down, I haven't seen as much of the Phantoms/Morin as I'd like.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Morin most likely won't be put in a situation to become a Chara. At least not here anyway.

He'll get the chances, if he deserves them. Our prospects aren't going to be healthy all the time as they age nor are we going to be able to resign all of them in 5-6 years if they all pan out.

Its an extreme long shot that our top 4 prospects are our top 4 Dmen in 7-8 years. A few will still be here, others will not.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He'll get the chances, if he deserves them. Our prospects aren't going to be healthy all the time as they age nor are we going to be able to resign all of them in 5-6 years if they all pan out.

Its an extreme long shot that our top 4 prospects are our top 4 Dmen in 7-8 years. A few will still be here, others will not.
I was talking more about an offensive/PP role. Barring a drastic change in personnel, I don't see how he is ever given that role in the NHL. I think his first season in LHV pretty much indicated what he his role will be in the NHL. It's a lot more common to go from playing "easy" offensive minutes to playing "hard" defensive minutes than the other way around. If you're talking 5+ years down the road, it's possible guys like Friedman and Myers are given those offensive minutes when/if they break into the league.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I opted for Rubtsov over Morin by taking into account the greater position of need. I know it stretches the definition of "better prospect", but there is a greater need to have Rubtsov excel as a centre so his bar could be seen as being set lower to making the team in a more important role.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I was talking more about an offensive/PP role. Barring a drastic change in personnel, I don't see how he is ever given that role in the NHL. I think his first season in LHV pretty much indicated what he his role will be in the NHL. It's a lot more common to go from playing "easy" offensive minutes to playing "hard" defensive minutes than the other way around. If you're talking 5+ years down the road, it's possible guys like Friedman and Myers are given those offensive minutes when/if they break into the league.

I think Morin starts as the defensive equivalent to rookie Couturier playing heavily defensive minutes, but I simply do not agree that there won't ever be an opportunity to be more than that.

I generally don't agree that opportunity has to precede demonstration of a skillset. That is, Morin can show offensive upside while in a defensive role, then be offered more offensive opportunities. It doesn't always have to be that a player is given a role, then demonstrates development in that area.

I personally don't believe Morin will show the offensive upside to warrant extensive power play time. I could be wrong and would happy to be so. I just don't think its fair to assert that we know based on what happened last year how Morin will be used in 5 years. A LOT can happen in 5 years.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Morin starts as the defensive equivalent to rookie Couturier playing heavily defensive minutes, but I simply do not agree that there won't ever be an opportunity to be more than that.

I generally don't agree that opportunity has to precede demonstration of a skillset. That is, Morin can show offensive upside while in a defensive role, then be offered more offensive opportunities. It doesn't always have to be that a player is given a role, then demonstrates development in that area.

I personally don't believe Morin will show the offensive upside to warrant extensive power play time. I could be wrong and would happy to be so. I just don't think its fair to assert that we know based on what happened last year how Morin will be used in 5 years. A LOT can happen in 5 years.
It's a prediction. A player can show offensive upside, but if there are 3 or 4 defenseman better suited for that role, who do you think is going to play in that role? Look at Anton Stralman. Didn't sniff the powerplay in NY. Goes to TB and suddenly he's approaching 40 points. Did he improve his skillset or was he given more of an opportunity to contribute offensively?

I want Sam to get an opportunity to produce, but at the same time I don't think it's outrageous to suggest there will be 3 better options when he is on the team. It's a good problem to have.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
The Canucks board are up to their fourth Prospect and Jake Virtanen is winning as he has "only played 55 games in the NHL" so far. Looks pretty bleak after that. Much like we were not too long ago!

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
The Canucks board are up to their fourth Prospect and Jake Virtanen is winning as he has "only played 55 games in the NHL" so far. Looks pretty bleak after that. Much like we were not too long ago!

55 games in the NHL and still linked as prospect? Canucks prospects pool have to be pretty terrible, well yes, it is. There's not much behind Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, and Stecher, more like nothing. Maybe Tryamkin could be solid for them. The big club still in terrible shape and with Benning in charge. 1st line with average age of 33.3. Ouch.

7 players who are either 30 or over 30, great way to rebuild the team.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
55 games in the NHL and still linked as prospect? Canucks prospects pool have to be pretty terrible, well yes, it is. There's not much behind Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, and Stecher, more like nothing. Maybe Tryamkin could be solid for them. The big club still in terrible shape and with Benning in charge. 1st line with average age of 33.3. Ouch.

7 players who are either 30 or over 30, great way to rebuild the team.

It's all quite sad. I really like that organization, and they were great fun when they had Trevor Linden and Bure. They should bottom out soon and hopefully Benning and Wild Willie are sent packing. Maybe they can find their own Chayka.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Times have changed so much for the flyers in s hurt period of time. To have so many prospects that has the ability to play in the nhl is amazing compared to what we are all used to. I'm ready for round 5

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Morin has 94 votes, and Myers only has 9 votes. I thought this would be, at the very least, a competitive poll between the 2 big defensemen. :dunno:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Morin has 94 votes, and Myers only has 9 votes. I thought this would be, at the very least, a competitive poll between the 2 big defensemen. :dunno:

Morin has much better pedigree, higher ceiling, track record, and solid year in the AHL, whereas all what Myers accomplished is 1 great season in the QMJHL. Votes speaks for itself, these are pretty reasonable results when you take all into consideration.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Morin has much better pedigree, higher ceiling, track record, and solid year in the AHL, whereas all what Myers accomplished is 1 great season in the QMJHL. Votes speaks for itself, these are pretty reasonable results when you take all into consideration.

Morin probably deserves to be ranked higher, given his linear improvement and him already being in the AHL, whereas Myers, as you said has 1 year of top prospect play.

That said, that 1 year post-draft was significantly better than Morin's. He scored more goals this season than Morin did in his entire QMJHL career. He has raw offensive abilities that Morin simply doesn't, and while not being quite as "nasty," doesn't lack for defensive ability either. He's also a more fluid skater. He's still a bit of a mystery and needs to prove himself beyond being a 1 year wonder, but I actually think his ceiling is potentially higher than Big Sam's. As for pedigree, that means little to me. Morin, though he's been one of the rare raw big dmen to actually consistently improve, was a slight reach at draft day. Myers, had he not been signed, most likely would've been a 1st round pick himself.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I couldn't disagree more. Myers has big time.upside. I've watched him a good amount and can't find a weakness in his game that won't smooth out with time and experience. You won't be able to convince me Morin has a higher ceiling than Myers.

Myers puck skills and confidence with the puck are way above Morin. Myers skating is also right with Morin. There's seriously no holes in his game. Just let him fill out and gain experience. Myers is pretty much the total package... and right-handed!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

If you look at both guys draft+ 1 season, the points difference would be 31-39 in favour of Myers if you used the same games played.

But then Morin followed that up with a .84 PPG season in his draft+2 season and worked his way to a top pairing in the AHL in his draft+3 seasons.

Myers still needs 2 more back to back good seasons to do what Myers has done. Not easy to do that. Certainly I hope he does, but Morin already has.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Morin is still buoyed by a lot of hype that Myers never had.

Morin also has been in the org longer, and fans seem to prefer players who have been in the system longer (see: Stolarz in the goalie voting).

Morin has a lot of holes & is still a giant set of tools with a great personality. But I'd say of Myers & Morin, Myers is more likely to become a 2nd pairing blue liner, & Morin a 3rd, because of Myers' better puck skills in today's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad