Prospect Info: 2016-17 Flyers Prospects - Top 20 SKATERS, #4

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This year we are splitting the polls into a top 20 for skaters, and a top 5 for goalies. This is the fourth poll for SKATERS.

1. Provorov, Ivan (88%)
2. Sanheim, Travis (75%)
3. Konecny, Travis (85%)

Alt, Mark
Allison, Wade
Amorosa, Terrance
Aube-Kubel, Nicolas
Bardreau, Cole
Bernhardt, David
Bunnaman, Connor
Dove-McFalls, Samuel
Drake, David
Fazleev, Radel
Friedman, Mark
Goulbourne, Tyrell
Hagg, Robert
Hogberg, Linus
Kase, David
Laberge, Pascal
Laczynski, Tanner
Leier, Taylor
Lindblom, Oskar
Martel, Danick
Marody, Cooper
Morin, Sam
Myers, Phil
Pettersson, Jesper
Rubtsov, German
Salinitri, Anthony
Straka, Petr
Twarynski, Carson
Vorobyov, Mikhail
Weal, Jordan
Willcox, Reece
Vasiliev, Valeri

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Big Sam for me. Looking forward to our days of seriously competing, I can see his bruising hits and shutdown defending going down in Flyers lore. He may be sort of the fourth choice among our defenders, but I have a feeling he is going to be very beloved by us all very soon.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Sam Morin for me. He's still on perfect development path, I would say... His combination of size, defensive awareness, competitivness, skating, he has really huge ceiling. Plus I think he is the type of player who has big impact on the team simply due to his presence - this is bit of prediction from my side, but I do think he may have this kind of impact to the team. He could develop into 2-way monster on our blue line or strictly defensive defenseman. I just hope that it is at least one of these options with him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I went Lindblom, kid is doing things over there and he's just turning 20 in a month

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
My next three are Myers, Lindblom and Rubtstov. Morin at#7. Don't care where someone was drafted.

Myers was really impressive last year and the fact that he is right handed defenseman makes him even more valuable. Lindblom is physically much larger than Rubtsov and produced offensively in a pro league as a 19 year old (was impressive in his brief AHL play). Also, Lindblom skating has come a long way. Rubtsov I really like I just like Myers and Lindblom more. Morin has improved alot, but I think the other players are ahead of him in terms of their potential.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
4-7 is a pretty clear tier at this point and you can make persuasive arguments for any order.

If Morin, Myers, Lindblom, and Rubtsov all realistically have 2nd pair/2nd line potential, but Morin is closest to being ready, I'm going to pick that option for now even if he might be my least favorite of the bunch.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Philippe Myers

I voted for him last thread and wrote a little about why. As for putting him up specifically vs Morin, I think Myers just offers more. He's really confident with the puck and has real offensive upside. You can tell he really wants to be a playmaker. Defensively, I don't see how Morin would have a significant edge, and add to that Myers will be better in transition.

Additionally, the advantage of being right-handed is a really big deal. It just naturally inflates a defenseman's value for almost every team in the league. Look no further than the Hall/Larsson trade. The Islanders even could have had Hall last week for Hamonic and reportedly turned it down. It's nuts how valuable these guys are.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Went German. I think the kid has top line potenial. His skills in everything is fantastic

pucksandpups

Feb 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
Voted for Sam the man. He's a beast and while he might take longer to develop he is consistently getting better and has really high upside. Even if he doesn't hit his ceiling, he's a 6'7 defensively responsible guy who can actually skate and should be able to help on the PK. He's going to be a really important player for us. Rubtsov and Laberge are next for me.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Rubstov. I can't see Morin topping out as a number one defender, but I could see Rubstov topping out as a number one center in the same vein that Bergeron and Toews could be considered number one centers. Probably won't be, but I could see it. They're both pretty safe players in terms of floors so that's the difference for me.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have Rubtsov at 4.

As for the Morin argument, I'm not sure Morin is a better prospect than Myers. In fact, between the two I might go Myers, as what I saw of him this year in the Q he looked more skilled than Morin at the same age.

Morin is still an imposing package of size and tools, but he still has a lot of sharpening to do. Rubtsov, however, seems to already have a lot of polish to go with high-level skills. If there were a prospect draft today, I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking Rubtsov over Morin. Lower risk, still high ceiling.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Tiers for me:

Provorov
Sanheim
Konecny

Morin
Rubtsov
Laberge
Myers

Lindblom
Aube-Kubel
Allison
Vorobyov
Friedman

Fazleev
Hagg
Leier
Marody

Bardreau
Dove-McFalls
Kase
Goulbourne
Martel
Weal

The rest I either havent seen enough of to judge or dont think they have NHL upside

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Went with Morin but it was close between him and Rubstov.

I just feel like he has the potential to be one of the most dominant defenders in the game.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Morin gets pushed to the back-burner around here by the shiny new toys, but I think he will pleasantly surprise people.

He has the right developmental attitude, he can skate, he is mean, and he can play defence. I'm not sure he will ever be putting up 30+ points, but he does have a nice slapshot and a decent outlet pass, so I can see him still put up 20-25 points while taking a lot of the tough defensive minutes. I think he projects to be an angry Coburn, or even a Hatcher who can skate. And considering our (and even the league's) lack of similar players, it lends me to believe he will be a large part of this team going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad