Injury Report: 2016-17 Blues Injury Report (Stastny back)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonzerochance

May 16, 2016
According to Rutherford, Stastny is skating today. Looks like he's in for Game 4. Hope it's the right decision for the long-term and not just this next game.

Additionally, Stastny's centering Sobotka and Sanford in practice. This could mean Paajarvi's out, but Steen also isn't practicing so maybe not.

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
If Stastny is ready, hopefully Sanford is out. Not that he's played particularly bad but we can't keep having him lose board battles. Paajarvi hasn't really stood out either but his speed has been useful on the forecheck.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Agreed, sanford sitting for a returning Stastny isnt a mark against him. He's shown a good deal of promise. Pääjärvi is just more effective right now.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Paul Stastny, the Blues center who has been since March 21, was on the ice for the Blues' practice on Tuesday at Scottrade Center.

While it's unclear how soon Stastny could return to action, his skating is the first clear sign that his return could be near. Coach Mike Yeo has said throughout the series that Stastny was day-to-day, but has said with regards to other injuries that getting the player back on the ice skating is a positive step that a return is near.

We'll have more updates as the day goes on. The Blues begin practice at 10:30 a.m.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_57826337-499b-5c29-a41d-5b07be7e0b3c.html

:naughty:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
According to Rutherford, Stastny is skating today. Looks like he's in for Game 4. Hope it's the right decision for the long-term and not just this next game.

Additionally, Stastny's centering Sobotka and Sanford in practice. This could mean Paajarvi's out, but Steen also isn't practicing so maybe not.

For a broken bone, there just isn't much down-side to coming back. Its not like a ligament issue or something with a joint, or a bad back. He may have some swelling and some pain, but the chances of a reinjury or a prolonged recovery because of playing aren't really significant.

I think Steen is just taking maintenance skips as a veteran player. He'll play.

All in all this is very good news, and is exactly when I expected (Game 4) him to return.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i wouldnt start him tomorrow. see if the blues can finish off the wild, if they can great and he gets another week or so of rest.

if not, you use him as a boost and a pick me up for the team going into a game 5.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
i wouldnt start him tomorrow. see if the blues can finish off the wild, if they can great and he gets another week or so of rest.

if not, you use him as a boost and a pick me up for the team going into a game 5.

I think about it exactly as you do but if he is at 100% why wouldnt he play?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If he can play he needs to play. Ice the best possible roster. Its not like were easily beating The Wild. Last year the Blues could have finished off the Hawks in 5 but failed to and the Hawks pushed them to literally the final minute of game 7. Dont mess around with this, Wild win game 4, they can easily win game 5. Unless Stastny's mobility is a concern, feed him some pills and lace then up.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015

We've got some post-morning practice updates:

Mike Yeo said:
Coach Mike Yeo said after practice that Stastny was still day-to-day -- "Same as what he was the other day to days," he said -- and wouldn't give any hints as to when he might return. "Well, every day is a new day," he said. "I'm running out of things to say." Practicing with the team, however, is one of the first milestones on the road to getting back in the lineup.
"I thought he was skating well," Yeo said. "I thought he was involved in every drill and conditioning didn't look like an issue and timing and execution didn't look like it was an issue either."

Timmermann/Rutherford said:
In practice on Tuesday, the Blues used him in Alexander Steen's spot, centering the third line. Steen has been playing but not practicing since Game 1 as he deals with a lower-body injury. By putting him there, it would appear he's not likely for Game 4, since when Stastny returns, he would likely go back between Jaden Schwartz and Vladimir Tarasenko on the top line.

Seems like Timmermann/Rutherford think Stastny is 1) going to slot back immediately onto the top line 2) not going to play game 4 because he was practicing on the 3rd line...not sure I agree on either count, but we shall see!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_57826337-499b-5c29-a41d-5b07be7e0b3c.html

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
I also dont really like the idea of breaking up the Schwartz-Barbs-Tank line but on the other hand a Steen-Barbs-Sobi shutdown-line wouldnt look bad either

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I also dont really like the idea of breaking up the Schwartz-Barbs-Tank line but on the other hand a Steen-Barbs-Sobi shutdown-line wouldnt look bad either

Yeah, I kind of like leaving Barb with Schwartz and Vova because it allows that line to get heavy OZ deployment and Barb to be sheltered a bit defensively.

Berglund and Perron have been great together, don't split them up IMO.

Which leaves the 3rd line of Sobotka - Stastny - Steen...now that's a tough line to score on. Let them do the heavy defensive lifting.

Top 9:

Schwartz - Barb - Vova
Perron - Berglund - PRV/Bill Brasky
Sobotka - Stastny - Steen

or if Yeo wants Stastny on the top line:

Schwartz - Stastny - Vova
Steen - Berglund - Perron
Sobotka - Barb - PRV/Bill Brasky

maybe flip Steen and Sobie?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I prefer to keep Barbashev where is as well, but I don't think it would be the end of the world for game 4. We do have the last change so we should still be able to get the matchups we want.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Barbashev, from the eye-test (I don't look at stats; lol) has been good on the dot. One of the few +50%, IIRC. I would rather have Stastny improve our faceoff % by keeping both Barbashev and Stastny at C. I don't see Barbs centering another line over Sobotka, or Berglund. If putting Stastny on the top line means Barbs is on the wing, I really don't like putting Stastny on the top line.

Again, I think it is ideal to keep Barbashev between Schwartz and Tarasenko.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort

Again, I think it is ideal to keep Barbashev between Schwartz and Tarasenko.

Agreed.... No way that first line should be broken up. Since the first game mid way through the third period their chemistry started to gel. And it's only going to get better. The Blues have four lines and each one of them are special. Only a fool would break that first set of player's up at this point. Paul will slot in and add more depth to our roster. We are trying to win games not some individuals entitlement. Play on....

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Werenski played with a broken face....suck it up Stastny :sarcasm:

0.jpg

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
His face off skills are much needed especially looking to close out the series. More faceoff wins (theoretically)= more puck possession

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
His face off skills are much needed especially looking to close out the series. More faceoff wins (theoretically)= more puck possession
I wouldn't place Stastny with Schwartz and Tarasenko. I'd have him centre the #2 Line, and knock Steen back to LW, making both The #2 and #3 Lines stronger, and now having the duo of Stastny and Sobotka taking most of the important faceoffs, That will get The Blues back near 50%, which, in turn, will provide The Blues with significantly more possession time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad