Speculation: 2016/17 Avalanche Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That Bob Boughner?

So what's the deal with all these assistants? We'd have to get permission to speak with any of them?

Yes that Bob Boughner, he's a damn good coach, will eventually be a solid head coach one day.

I think they are property of their team and that some (or a lot) of them do sign contracts losing their freedom of talking to other teams. BUT with that said, majority of General Managers WANT their assistants and their AHL head coaches move on to better things in life with head coaching vacancy being one of them.

John Stevens, current Assistant Coach for the LA Kings.
Has been mentioned multiple times that Kings have not allowed him to speak to any team requesting an interview, which has been already around three teams.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Don't forget "Leader of Men" Tim Army.

Some say it was his voice that appeared to Moses, not God's. Just Tim Army.

assistant-coach-tim-army-of-the-colorado-avalanche-talks-to-mikkel-picture-id517040408

Fire that man, fire him now. Don't wait, just fire him now.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I like what Sakic described. Need someone young who is a critical thinker and innovative with communication and development.

An old guy does the team no good right now. We need someone who can grow with the team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I had no idea Dineen played at DU back in the day. Now Chambers mentioning him makes perfect sense.

Rrabb1t

Jul 6, 2011
Voted for Paul MacLean. I don't know enough of the younger coaches to vote for any of them. I was always impressed watching MacLean's Sens though. He got a below average core of players playing above average possession hockey. I think he could do a lot given we have much better tools for his system in Colorado compared to Ottawa at the time.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Fwiw, EJ Hradek said he's talked to people in Colorado and they aren't going to look at Hartley. He mentioned Kevin Dineen, Bob Boughner, and he did bring up Marc Crawford.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Dineen is an interesting name, great first season in Florida, bad lockout year, then didn't really get a fair shake the next season getting canned so quick after a rough start.

Rrabb1t

Jul 6, 2011
John Stevens would be a great candidate too, but I don't think there's any chance LAK would make him available. He's been groomed as the next HC there for a while now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wasn't Dineen really bad as a HC or am I thinking of someone else?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'm going to guess it will be one of the 3 assistants as an interim until someone is fired during the season and we pounce on them or until next offseason when a few coaches are available.

They already said they will be looking outward and want a coach before training camp so I would be surprised if this is the outcome. Especially considering they mentioned that they would be looking for a younger guy, there are actually some decent options out there.

Also I HIGHLY doubt Hartley is hired. If Roys system wasn't working you won't go out and hire essentially a worse version of Roy.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
John Stevens would be a great candidate too, but I don't think there's any chance LAK would make him available. He's been groomed as the next HC there for a while now.

He also was given a super weird title and is essentially paid like a head coach from last time a team tried to interview him. LA is super weird about not letting him go. Chance of him leaving is essentially 0 imo

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Wasn't Dineen really bad as a HC or am I thinking of someone else?

In the 3 years with FLA he had a sub .500 winning percentage. In his first season they won the division and lost to NJD in game 7 OT. the next year they were awful and he was fired about 14 games into his 3rd season as they only won about 3 of those games.

He has been an assistant coach with Chi since.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Sakic already said that Roy's assistants won't get that job. I'm glad Roy is no longer our coach but timing is awful. I hope Sakic will find good coach. Don't want Bob Hartley I think his time has passed and he isn't good fit for this team. We need good defensive system. My personal preferences are either coach with NHL experience or Bob Boughner I think he'll have great NHL coaching career.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Probably not ready to be an NHL coach. Probably will never be a coach of any type. But with Rogers canning Mike Johnson two days ago I want Colorado to bring him into the organization in some way.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
They already said they will be looking outward and want a coach before training camp so I would be surprised if this is the outcome. Especially considering they mentioned that they would be looking for a younger guy, there are actually some decent options out there.

Also I HIGHLY doubt Hartley is hired. If Roys system wasn't working you won't go out and hire essentially a worse version of Roy.

My post was before Sakic did that call so I was just guessing at that point lol.

Now to me it sounds like Dineen is the most likely scenario from what everyone has been saying.

Also very glad Sakic is looking to bring in new people.

Rrabb1t

Jul 6, 2011
Sakic could go way outside the box and call Jukka Jalonen

As a Finn I have a lot of time for Jalonen and his system. I don't think it could be implemented in the same way for small ice though. Would be a massively risky appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad