WJC: 2016 — Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
If HC had to pick today this is the roster I think they'd role with, now a lot can change in a month (and that is a good thing) as players can solidify their spot or lose it.

F:
Lawson Crouse- Big, powerful, returning guy, that can fit anywhere in the lineup.
Michael Dal Colle- Not having the best season, but has the potential to be a game breaker... I think they'd roll the dice on this one.
Anthony Beauvillier- Can really fill the back of the net, and you can never have too many guys like that.
Francis Perron- Good skater, good vision and fill play in all situations.
Brayden Point- Possibly the best player in Jr hockey right now, and his offensive flair is much needed.
Dylan Strome- Not a great skater, but has the offensive ability to make a big impact.
Mathew Barzal- Offensive ability is fantastic, skating is an asset and won't hurt them defensively.
John Quenneville- Battles, good in his own end and could slide to the wing if necessary.
Travis Konecny- A little buzz saw on the ice, always seem to notice him and has offensive ability.
Mitchell Marner- Dynamic player with great offensive ability.
Julien Gauthier- Big, strong, goal scoring winger and is a handful for defenceman.
Jayce Hawryluk- May not stand out at any one thing, but is good at a lot of things and brings versatility.
Spencer Watson- Ability to fill the back of the net and has been playing well.

D:
Haydn Fleury- Can play both offensively and defensively but will be here for his defence.
Travis Sanheim- Good skater, good offensively ability, defends well in his own end.
Jakob Chychrun- Great skater, and has a strong two-way game (also HC will want to lock him up)
Roland McKeown- HC likes him, and is a good two-way player and has experience playing against the best players.
Joe Hicketts- Undersized, but will give it his all and brings leadership to this team.
Jeremy Roy- Great ability to move the puck, and can QB the PP.
Thomas Chabot- Great skater, puck mover, and can defend in his own end.

G:
MacKenzie Blackwood- Has been possibly the best goalie in the CHL, athletic, battles and strong between the pipes.
Mason McDonald- Calm in the net, athletic and always competes.

The coaching staff will have some tough decisions to make around players like Dal Colle, Perlini, Chartier, and Merkley who have a wealth of experience in the CHL, but aren`t necessarily producing up to expectations this year. As you mention I can see them rolling the dice on one or two of them to get that experience into the lineup, depending on how the December camp goes. Last year most people (myself included) had Dal Colle locked in, but his performance at the December camp left a lot to be desired. Like most years the December camp will matter significantly in who makes the roster.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
The coaching staff will have some tough decisions to make around players like Dal Colle, Perlini, Chartier, and Merkley who have a wealth of experience in the CHL, but aren`t necessarily producing up to expectations this year. As you mention I can see them rolling the dice on one or two of them to get that experience into the lineup, depending on how the December camp goes. Last year most people (myself included) had Dal Colle locked in, but his performance at the December camp left a lot to be desired. Like most years the December camp will matter significantly in who makes the roster.

It's a tough year to be HC that's for sure, and it's not because they have too many players playing well... This December camp may be as important as ever with some of the guys they have underperforming. Maybe they look to expand the camp compared to last year to give more guys a chance to show their worth?

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
Whose word? It sounds reasonable, but I haven't seen any indication that they are going with seven for a given year.

HC are not making anything official
The problem they have is getting the 96's that are supposed to make a statement are not
What are they to do?
There are six playing NHL and if they don't get released or at least two, there is not enough depth to push aside the 97 group

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I've gotta say, I'm interested to see Merkley in the camp. He was on my roster in August, but now I feel like he would need a good showing up, to beat the competition. I personally think it was a steal to draft him as a late 1st rounder.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
HC are not making anything official
The problem they have is getting the 96's that are supposed to make a statement are not
What are they to do?
There are six playing NHL and if they don't get released or at least two, there is not enough depth to push aside the 97 group

I understand that, I was thinking more along the lines of "why only seven 97s". They should go with the best eligible players regardless of age or draft year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Here's something interesting, apparently for the 1st time ever TSN will broadcast every game of the WJHC. I guess I'll be skipping out on a lot of family events this year.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Shirley - Marner - Watson
Point - Barzal - Konecy
Crouse - Strome - Hawryluk
Beaullivier - Chartier - Gauthier
Quennville

Hicketts - Mckeown
Van Sompel - Fleury
Dermott - Chychrun
Juulsen

Blackwood
Sawchenko

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Shirley - Marner - Watson
Crouse - Strome - Konecy
Hawryluk - Point - Barzal
Beaullivier - Chartier - Gauthier

Hicketts - Mckeown
Van Sompel - Fleury
Dermott - Chychrun
Juulsen

Blackwood
Sawchenko

I'm quoting your roster so that everyone can see it. There is no need to keep editing your old posts and re-posting your roster.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
I'm quoting your roster so that everyone can see it. There is no need to keep editing your old posts and re-posting your roster.

I can post my roster or edit my roster as many times as I want. I can also post a new roster everyday until the tournament starts if I desire. I can also state an opinion about my roster or anybody elses. These types of actions are actually encouraged on message boards. You are allowed to do this.

Last edited:

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
I'm quoting your roster.
I know its a decent roster, but its just the first or second roster anybody has really posted. Give it time more posters will show you theirs. I know its good but somebody will have a better one. :dunno:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Dal Colle - Barzal - Marner
Crouse - Point - Watson
Beauvillier - Strome - Konecny
Perron - Quenneville - Gauthier
Hawryluk / Merkley

Sanheim - Juulsen
Fleury - McKeown
Dunn - Hickets
Chabot / J. Roy

Blackwood
McDonald

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I can post my roster or edit my roster as many times as I want. I can also post a new roster everyday until the tournament starts if I desire. I can also state an opinion about my roster or anybody elses. These types of actions are actually encouraged on message boards. You are allowed to do this.

I'm not telling you that you can't, mighty keyboard warrior. That there is no need for you to persist in editing your old posts and then re-posting your roster is simply a fact. Plenty of people have already seen you randomly put Shirley on the top line while the best player on the team (Point) is on the third line, for instance.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I really hope Collin Shirley isn't featured on this team at all, shows how little depth we have compared to other years.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Crouse - Point - Marner
Beauviller - Strome - Konecny
Perron - Barzal - Gauthier
DeBrusk - Chartier - Hawryluk
Quenneville

Sanheim - Juulsen
Fleury - Hicketts
Chabot - McKweon
Roy

Blackwood
MacDonald
Sawchenko

I think Virtanen will also be let go for the tournament. In that case I'd cut Debrusk, move Chartier to 4LW, Quenneville to 4C and Gauthier to the 13th forward.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Dal Colle- Strome-Marner
Virtanen-Barzal-Point
Crouse-McCann-Konecny
Beauvillier-Harkins-Hawryluk
Perlini ( I would take Ho-Sang but HC won't )

Add Aube-Kubel, Perron in case McCann, Virtanen are no's.

Sanheim-Meloche
Fleury-Hicketts
Hickey-Juulsen
Chychrun

Blackwood
McDonald
McNiven

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
If Dermott doesn't make this team, then Canada has an absolutely unreal defense.
so I'm not alone when I think this defense is good?

oh. I got it now :D but yes, there's a chance Dermott won't make it, and yes, Canada has unreal defense IMO.

Last edited:

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Kinda outside the box but would Ethan bear have a chance? He's in a close scoring race for defence end in the dub with Sanheim and hicketts

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Meloche need more love. Absolute stud RHD who play on a garbage team.

I don't know, questionable skater and questionable defensive play. Physical and big shot though. I think on the big ice you want defensemen who can really skate the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad