WJC: 2016 — Finland Roster Talk

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
How has Hintz looked in the WJC so far?

Good and bad. His great skating ability has been effective in entering the attacking zone and pressuring opponents, and he's also provided some timely offense. However it's pretty obvious that he's not used to playing center, as he doesn't backtrack as eagerly as one would like and takes that extra moment to find his mark on defense. Also very bad on faceoffs. Not the top center he was slated as for the tournament, but also not a detriment to the team. It seems clear to me that his future is on the wing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Came here to congratulate you guys on a wonderful tournament, wonderful team, players and the atmosphere in Hartwall Arena.

I also want to apologize because I didn't really believe much in Finland's team before the tournament, but I can't help but say, I just love this team. Good game against Canada, and great effort there again against Sweden.

Puljujärvi will be a huge star, and I think players like Laine, Aho, Kapanen, or Rantanen will get their piece too. And from what I've watched, I also like Kalapudas.

Russia is a strong team. They surprised me that they basically outplayed the States in physical battles. But your team is something to wach :nod: Wish you the gold medal.

Thank you, we have been the Dallas Stars of this tournament, exciting team with 2 superstar players dominating and having fun.

I'm surprised we are in the finals with this defense, it's been really bad and the passing is beyond awful, just turnovers and bad decisions in almost every shift.
But against Sweden it was miles better than it had been but still way too weak.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Good and bad. His great skating ability has been effective in entering the attacking zone and pressuring opponents, and he's also provided some timely offense. However it's pretty obvious that he's not used to playing center, as he doesn't backtrack as eagerly as one would like and takes that extra moment to find his mark on defense. Also very bad on faceoffs. Not the top center he was slated as for the tournament, but also not a detriment to the team. It seems clear to me that his future is on the wing.

I agree. Nicely put.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Is Jukka Jalonen locked in to coach U-20 next year as well? If not, I'd like his contract to be renewed regardless of what tonight's game's result is.

Though I'm not quite sure is Jalonen the best coach in North-American sized rink...

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Is Jukka Jalonen locked in to coach U-20 next year as well? If not, I'd like his contract to be renewed regardless of what tonight's game's result is.

Though I'm not quite sure is Jalonen the best coach in North-American sized rink...

I think he has a job already for next year. As a head coach of Jokerit.

I'd love for him to continue in Finnish NT at some level. But he's going to Jokerit for two seasons.

spedico

May 13, 2012
Tampere, Finland
Yeah Jalonen has a contract with Jokerit, Rautakorpi will be the next coach of the U20 team, the one "year" (only next WJC) contract was published couple of months ago.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I hope some of the profits from this event will go towards hiring a top coach to a long-term contract, possibly with the acknowledgement that performing well in this job for three to five years will go a long way towards securing the senior NT job. We really shouldn't be having this coaching roulette situation every year now that we have the talent to compete basically every year.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Yeah Jalonen has a contract with Jokerit, Rautakorpi will be the next coach of the U20 team, the one "year" (only next WJC) contract was published couple of months ago.

Recruiting a good coach for U20 team creates the risk of continuous changes. Jukka Jalonen has a great track record and so has Jukka Rautakorpi to a smaller extent. There is a risk that Rautakorpi will get offers to coach in KHL or elsewhere for big bucks before the next tournament. The national team can not pay the same money, but offers a job with less pressure and less travel.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think Ahokas takes over after Rautakorpi next year. He has done a fantastic job with the 98 age group for 3 years now. Deserves to coach them in their main event too.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
I think Ahokas takes over after Rautakorpi next year. He has done a fantastic job with the 98 age group for 3 years now. Deserves to coach them in their main event too.

Seemed like a very smart and knowledgeable coach on TV yesterday. Would not mind it at all, especially considering his familiarity and record with the players.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Seemed like a very smart and knowledgeable coach on TV yesterday. Would not mind it at all, especially considering his familiarity and record with the players.

Coaching U20 team should be a highly appreciated job for what the candidates have enough experience of coaching in the adult level.

Hzzz

May 5, 2012
giphy.gif

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Congrats Finns! You guys were A LOT of fun to watch all tournament! Well deserved!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Thank you, we have been the Dallas Stars of this tournament, exciting team with 2 superstar players dominating and having fun.

I'm surprised we are in the finals with this defense, it's been really bad and the passing is beyond awful, just turnovers and bad decisions in almost every shift.
But against Sweden it was miles better than it had been but still way too weak.

I can only hope that Dallas can follow the example that the Finns have set!

Hopefully down the road, gold medallist Roope Hintz can help his club do exactly that. Not like that bum, Jack Campbell. :sarcasm:

Anyways, congrats on a well-deserved win, Finland! Enjoy that view atop the mountain! ;) :handclap:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
C'mon TSN put the final on your site already so I can actually enjoy watching the game without having to go through the emotional highs and lows.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Yes, It is impressive, but there must be a team who has won more golds in WJC past 3 years

You mean in a 3 year time span? Yes, there is. Didn't Canada win like 5 in a row from mid to late 2000's?

Still, that fact doesn't diminish my enjoyment one bit. :nod:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Felt pretty good going back and reading the first few pages of this very thread. Some pretty sweet quotable stuff there.

But I'll save you-know-who-you-are the embarrassment. Hope this teaches you folks not to underestimate a team simply because you can't recognize all the names on their backs.

(For the record, I wasn't dead-on with everything I said either.)

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Felt pretty good going back and reading the first few pages of this very thread. Some pretty sweet quotable stuff there.

But I'll save you-know-who-you-are the embarrassment. Hope this teaches you folks not to underestimate a team simply because you can't recognize all the names on their backs.

(For the record, I wasn't dead-on with everything I said either.)

I still think we should've brought Moberg :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad