Prospect Info: 2015 Young Stars tourney

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Do we know if Slepyshev is playing in the prospect tourney? Or does he go straight to the main camp?

The other teams had better hope not. 15 goals in the KHL as a 20 year old is nothing to sneeze at.

A top 6 of Slepy, McDavid, Draisaitl, Chase, Yak2 and Platzer is just filthy.

I'd imagine the coaches would probably want to mix a Kessy or a Moroz in just in case any of the Flames goons decide to get cute.

Just speculating here:

Moroz-McDavid-Slepyshev
Platzer-Draisaitl-Pakarinen
Soy-Yakimov-Chase
Khaira-Loiseau-Bukarts

Kessy, Linaker, Christoffer, Rankin, Roy, Sandford can slot in wherever depending on the game. Tried to mix in some meat and some skill on each line.

Not even going to try on defence with all the guys that could be coming. Guess it depends how liberally 'rookie' is defined. Is it pro rookies, or NHL rookies?

Anyway- Nurse, Reinhart, Betker, Musil, LaLeggia, Simpson, Oesterle, Gernat, Davidson, Leveille, Davis, Bear, Jones, Marino, Waltz.

Edit: Removed Paigin because he's playing in the KHL.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Speaking of rosters, the Canucks announced their team yesterday.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777938
kOVqZpr.png

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
broissot is probably better than both of their guys glued together

Is Broissot eligible to play? Hes been a pro for a few years now.

I understand the Canucks dont have a big name goalie, but Whistle won a memorial cup last year. Hes actually a pretty dam good goalie.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Is our goaltending going to be that much better?

That's a good point. But I'd still take Papirny over both of those guys.

broissot is probably better than both of their guys glued together

Brossoit won't be at the tourney.

Is Broissot eligible to play? Hes been a pro for a few years now.

I understand the Canucks dont have a big name goalie, but Whistle won a memorial cup last year. Hes actually a pretty dam good goalie.

Whistle is the Corey Crawford of the WHL.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I find it difficult to know who won't be there based on pro experience when players with multiple AHL campaigns have been there in the past. I think maybe there's a soft rule about it that teams can break if they don't have enough amateur prospects, or perhaps it's overlooked if the players in general aren't high calibre.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The other teams had better hope not. 15 goals in the KHL as a 20 year old is nothing to sneeze at.

I'd imagine the coaches would probably want to mix a Kessy or a Moroz in just in case any of the Flames goons decide to get cute.

Just speculating here:

Moroz-McDavid-Slepyshev
Soy-Yakimov-Chase
Khaira-Loiseau-Bukarts

Kessy, Linaker, Christoffer, Rankin, Roy, Sandford can slot in wherever depending on the game. Tried to mix in some meat and some skill on each line.

Not even going to try on defence with all the guys that could be coming. Guess it depends how liberally 'rookie' is defined. Is it pro rookies, or NHL rookies?

Anyway- Nurse, Reinhart, Betker, Musil, LaLeggia, Simpson, Oesterle, Gernat, Davidson, Leveille, Davis, Bear, Jones, Marino, Waltz.

I know it's pedantic, but 15 goals for a 20 year old at ~ 12 minutes a night in the KHL. What he did is very impressive.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Do we know if Slepyshev is playing in the prospect tourney? Or does he go straight to the main camp?

Just speculating here:

Moroz-McDavid-Slepyshev
Soy-Yakimov-Chase
Khaira-Loiseau-Bukarts

I wouldn't think that the bolded players will be there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Mackenzie Stewart 6'3" 216 lbs 20 year old forward who had 11 points & 114 PIM in 66 games for PA in the WHL last year. Seems like the designated plug/face puncher on the Canucks roster

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I watched him play. More than just last season. He is a good goalie, dare I say better than the guy he replaced. And that guy got all kinds of accolades.

I've seen plenty of Jackson Whistle. And I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's better than the guy he replaced. He replaced Jordan Cooke who was another average WHL goalie propped up by an insanely good team. He also has no NHL potential and even further has no pro potential. So is Whistle better than Cooke? I guess so, but still not a very good prospect.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know it's pedantic, but 15 goals for a 20 year old at ~ 12 minutes a night in the KHL. What he did is very impressive.

Slepyshev is a guy who's flown kind of under the radar when it comes to Oil prospects recently, but he's going to start showing up on a lot of people's radars fast. I really think he's going to be pushing for a top 6 spot with the Oilers really soon.

Oct 15, 2008
I've seen plenty of Jackson Whistle. And I'm not sure what you mean by saying he's better than the guy he replaced. He replaced Jordan Cooke who was another average WHL goalie propped up by an insanely good team. He also has no NHL potential and even further has no pro potential. So is Whistle better than Cooke? I guess so, but still not a very good prospect.

People could say the same thing about LB. You like saying the same thing over and over again. It's a nonsense argument. People who followed junior hockey held Jordan Cooke in pretty high regard, much moreso than Jackson Whistle, which you would likely know if you were following the whl during their careers.

Ty Rimmer was in the tourney for us last year on an invite and he caught on and is now playing in our system. No reason to think Whistle couldnt do the same for the Canucks, which would be something Jordan Cooke hasnt been able to do as of yet.

This is strange as I believe you DO follow the whl amirite? Being on a stacked team doesnt always mean the goalie isnt good or even great. LB's mvp during the first championship was WELL earned. Nobody could rightly accuse him of riding coat tails. There's only 30 goalie spots in the nhl. Lots of very good goalies never make it or even get a sniff.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
If anything, this is an opportunity for Dane Fox to thank Connor McDavid for an NHL contract :sarcasm:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
^^^ the thing is there are lots of good WHL goalies like Whistle, Papirny, and Appleby that don't amount to anything.

Of the three I like Appleby the best due to his size. 6'1 (Whistle and Papirny) is tiny for this day and age - which is why I can't understand why Preds fans are so high on Saros. He's only a LISTED 5'10, which probably means a real life 5'8.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Slepyshev is a guy who's flown kind of under the radar when it comes to Oil prospects recently, but he's going to start showing up on a lot of people's radars fast. I really think he's going to be pushing for a top 6 spot with the Oilers really soon.

After McDavid and Nurse, I'd wager that Slepyshev has risen to the 3rd prospect on the list that people are most excited about seeing on these boards. I really hope he turns out. We need one of those later picks to pick up the slack on our horrible drafting in those rounds as of late.

Just watching his highlights, I get the feeling that he'll get mesh pretty well on NA ice as well. Can't wait to see what he's like at TC here. Hopefully he can play in the prospects tourny as well and show off that lethal shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad