Prospect Info: 2015 Young Stars tourney

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Bought tickets for Friday and Saturdays Oilers games today. Can't wait!

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
Having Hunter Smith or Keegan Kanzig run him in what should be considered a tournament of "prospect showcase," would be detrimental as well. Likely wouldn't happen, but players taking liberties on a (semi) big stage isn't unheard of in this league.

There's arguments for both sides here.

Personally, I'd like to see him and I weigh in the cost of patronage for the event. I do, however, see the downside to playing a generational talent and our, commonly referred to, savior considering the risks involved.

You're missing the biggest point....Smith or Kanzig would have to catch him first. Not gonna happen.....McD will make those guys look like pylons.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd love to see those brutes chasing McDavid all over the ice. I wish them well. They wouldn't get a sniff.

The Human Torch

Sep 7, 2005
Amsterdam
I know it's a bit out of the way, but can you guys pick me up in Bangkok on the way? I'll make a mixtape and pitch on gas and beef jerky.

Moving-animated-picture-of-Star-Treck-dancers.gif

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
i bought the 6 game pack but seeing as we are bringing our kids ages 5 - 10 we won't be going to any games other than the Oilers ones if anyone is interested in the other tickets, let me know.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Do you think McDavid gets more than 1 game?

they may play him in 2 games because he's a big selling feature for this, but the coach doesn't need to evaluate him at all, and there will be some other rookies that need the evaluation more to see if they deserve a spot at main camp.

I think Hall, Ebs, and Paajarvi got 2 games each back in 2010, but i forget.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Do you think McDavid gets more than 1 game?

they may play him in 2 games because he's a big selling feature for this, but the coach doesn't need to evaluate him at all, and there will be some other rookies that need the evaluation more to see if they deserve a spot at main camp.

I think Hall, Ebs, and Paajarvi got 2 games each back in 2010, but i forget.

I'd be fine with one game against the jets, maybe one vs canucks too. Don't want to risk any injuries in a whatever tourny. Calgary has been notorious for sending no name goons to the tourny to muck it up since they have no prospects. If they send an actual squad this year it'd be neay to see mcd put up 4 goals. But if its goons, no thanks, not worth it

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You're missing the biggest point....Smith or Kanzig would have to catch him first. Not gonna happen.....McD will make those guys look like pylons.

This.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Mitch Moroz stapled to McDavid. Add Greg Chase on the other wing. Combine that with a twin towers defence pairing of Nurse and Betker, and no one will even look at McDavid sideways.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Mitch Moroz stapled to McDavid. Add Greg Chase on the other wing. Combine that with a twin towers defence pairing of Nurse and Betker, and no one will even look at McDavid sideways.

I hate that this line of thinking has to be done. Mcdavid will crush you either way, so why not evaluate your prospects with some talent against him? Why just send talentless, mindless goons who have no NHL shot? If the oilers ever did this (were the agigators and started it) I'd be so embarrassed

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I hate that this line of thinking has to be done. Mcdavid will crush you either way, so why not evaluate your prospects with some talent against him? Why just send talentless, mindless goons who have no NHL shot? If the oilers ever did this (were the agigators and started it) I'd be so embarrassed

so which one of the Oilers prospects mentioned above fits the talentless\mindless goon?

Nurse? Betker? Moroz? or Chase?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
so which one of the Oilers prospects mentioned above fits the talentless\mindless goon?

Nurse? Betker? Moroz? or Chase?

I'm talking about sending mindless goons to hunt skilled players, ie smith/kanzig/seiloff on mcdavid. At least better/nurse/moroz has some skill if they need to go out and protect. In prior years we had to bring in some bad ones (baddock) to protect

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm talking about sending mindless goons to hunt skilled players, ie smith/kanzig/seiloff on mcdavid. At least better/nurse/moroz has some skill if they need to go out and protect. In prior years we had to bring in some bad ones (baddock) to protect

These mindless goons of opponents will want to make a name for themselves and get noticed. It is either via a fight vs another goon or by hitting. What better way than to line up and crush a star to get opposition focused on you.
If Kanzig\Gazdic isnt lining up a player every shift for a hit he knows he wont be seeing much TOI.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
These mindless goons of opponents will want to make a name for themselves and get noticed. It is either via a fight vs another goon or by hitting. What better way than to line up and crush a star to get opposition focused on you.
If Kanzig\Gazdic isnt lining up a player every shift for a hit he knows he wont be seeing much TOI.

We don't always agree, but I agree with you here.

People are kidding themselves if they don't think guys like Kessy, Nurse, Moroz, Betker and Leveille won't be looking to smash a few guys through the boards. That doesn't mean they're mindless goons, it means they're looking to make a name for themselves and send a message.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
This.

Regarding the last point, I don't think that Smith thug is afraid of anyone or anything.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
This.

Why Greg Chase? Kid has like 2 career fights. He's not scaring away anyone.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I swear people have been worried about this rookie tournament going all the way back to when Hall was first in it. Have we ever had one of our big time prospects had a run taken at them? I honestly don't remember a bad instance from this tournament.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
He's a pest and drives opponents nuts. He's there as a heat sink - and can actually play.

That's the important part. Smith and Kanzig are terrible hockey players and there should be no concern whatsoever that they might try to take a run at any decent prospect, let alone a guy like McDavid. Personally, I can't wait to see McDavid not take it easy for this tournament (like he did at the Oilers intersquad game) and make these guys look like rec league players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad