Prospect Info: 2015 Young Stars tourney

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Taylor Hall was always going to be on the Oilers his rookie season. No evaluation at the prospects tourney was necessary. Yet he played anyway. McDavid was scheduled to play two games. What changed?

He got flattened early in game one.

Bus charters complete with hotel packages were sold with the tag line "See McDavid Live" as the selling point.

The decision to sit out the Winnipeg game is completely reactionary. The funny thing is the NHL team is largely a bag of marshmallows. Very little protection will be found there.

McDavid is game. He wants to play. That isn't the issue. Management doesn't want him to, which would be fine, if they left him in Edmonton. This tourney is actually a big deal in the Okanagan. Penticton does a fantastic job with this event. Most people booking hotels and buying tickets were doing so with the expectation of seeing McDavid.

Pulling him out of the games because he took a hard hit with his head down is pretty ridiculous. No matter how it is trying to be sold, that is what it is. Frankly the fans deserve better treatment than that.

You know that McDavid was scheduled to play two games how? Do you have some kind of insider information that we don't?

I don't give a rat's ass what the tour bus companies were advertising. People that went got to see him on the Friday. People still got to see him play, along with a bunch of other games while hanging out in Penticton for the weekend. Boo hoo. If McDavid was the only reason they went it would have been quite a bit smarter to pay to go to real Oiler games. You know, the ones where he will be guaranteed to play in and that actually matter.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Oilers brought McDavid in because people wanted to see him play.

He gets run in the first few minutes of the first game and the team realizes that it's simply not worth it in games that are meaningless.

So they pull him out.

I'm really okay with that decision. Better to admit it's not a good idea and pull him out then keep him in there for no reason other than PR.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
You know that McDavid was scheduled to play two games how? Do you have some kind of insider information that we don't?

r.

People on here always take their personal interpretations and correlations from feelings they get from situations and off hand comments and come here to pass of their internal narrative as truth

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't think the org is scared. Let's not compare him to our other prospects playing more in the past.

McDavid has all the hype. He has all the media attention even when they talk to other prospects. Honestly knowing Chis this is probably a way to give the other prospects focus and have the media hopefully highlight them and stop asking them about McDavid. It's unfair to the other guys and them doing well without him looks good on them.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's flawed logic. You don't screw over a few for the benefit of many. It is not that they trump the other fans, at that tournament the people in that stands represent the oilers fan base. You should not put in a divide between fans when it is not necessary.

The second part makes sense and it is a valid point. I agree with it to an extent, but based on the information from several posters now with regards to how the tournament was publicised, I wish the organization would have either said something before or at least go out and say something now.

Anyway, it is not a big deal, but it should be worth a comment or two from the organization in my opinion.

Ok this I will agree with. A statement about those that traveled to see Connor makes sense.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC

I don't give a rat's ass what the tour bus companies were advertising. People that went got to see him on the Friday. People still got to see him play, along with a bunch of other games while hanging out in Penticton for the weekend. Boo hoo. If McDavid was the only reason they went it would have been quite a bit smarter to pay to go to real Oiler games. You know, the ones where he will be guaranteed to play in and that actually matter.

Pretty sure chia said he was pulled out of today's game implying he was scheduled to play and that Conner was sad he wasn't playing but the org felt it was the best course...

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Pretty sure chia said he was pulled out of today's game implying he was scheduled to play and that Conner was sad he wasn't playing but the org felt it was the best course...

He said it was the plan all along.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I understand what people are saying I don't want Connor hurt either. However he should play increasing levels of competition. Are they now not gonna play him in many ore season games as well? They mean nothing also. Once u start babying players they won't build up the intensity as the games get harder. This tourney is child's play compared to the speed and intensity of the nhl. And before people say head hunting jerks making a name for them self give an example of that happening where a star player got head **** or cheap shot. Connor took a clean hit if he can't handle that then he should be going back to juniors.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I understand what people are saying I don't want Connor hurt either. However he should play increasing levels of competition. Are they now not gonna play him in many ore season games as well? They mean nothing also. Once u start babying players they won't build up the intensity as the games get harder. This tourney is child's play compared to the speed and intensity of the nhl. And before people say head hunting jerks making a name for them self give an example of that happening where a star player got head **** or cheap shot. Connor took a clean hit if he can't handle that then he should be going back to juniors.
I agree and Connor can take a hit. Which is why I think it's more to promote the other prospects and give them some Connor free attention for a few days

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
He said it was the plan all along.

He said the decision was made relatively early on.... How does that mean it was the plan realitvly early on is a vague answer after game one is realitvly early on. Also mentioned that Connor "wasn't very happy" when they told him yesterday

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I agree and Connor can take a hit. Which is why I think it's more to promote the other prospects and give them some Connor free attention for a few days

I don't understand why people don't see this. What is the point of playing mcdavid here he is making the oilers. Get some other guys you aren't sure of some time on the ice see if you want them at camp or not.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Here's a what if following some of the logic on this thread. What if McDavid plays today, gets injured like some believe is why he is sitting (I don't BTW), and is unable to play at Rexall on Wednesday in front of 15000 + Oiler fans at home against the Bears?

What would the reaction be then?

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Here's a what if following some of the logic on this thread. What if McDavid plays today, gets injured like some believe is why he is sitting (I don't BTW), and is unable to play at Rexall on Wednesday in front of 15000 + Oiler fans at home against the Bears?

The same people *****ing about him not playing today would be *****ing about the organization allowing him to play today in a meaningless tournament for players of his stature.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't understand why people don't see this. What is the point of playing mcdavid here he is making the oilers. Get some other guys you aren't sure of some time on the ice see if you want them at camp or not.
And even now we are talking more about him not playing then the kids playing and doing great.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015

Yeah that's probably the main reason that he was scratched for this game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He said the decision was made relatively early on.... How does that mean it was the plan realitvly early on is a vague answer after game one is realitvly early on. Also mentioned that Connor "wasn't very happy" when they told him yesterday

Why is the conclusion jumped to that he was sat out because of the hit? Could it be that McDavid didn't know that he would only play one game?

So many drama queens around here.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
The Mona Lisa travels to Toronto.

You book a trip to see it.

There is a security breach the day you fly out.

The Mona Lisa is taken home.

Cry like a b word.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
On the topic of Draisaitl, I do like that he seemingly raised his game when the score was close - the pass to Christoffer for the 3-3 goal, and the semi-breakaway/PS goal to get the 4-3 lead. He said he likes to be in the big moments, that's what you want in a player.

And quite frankly, I think he's coasting out there. Nurse was doing the same thing. It's going to be a long preseason and training camp, and it makes complete sense for these guys to pick their spots.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I guess I will give my 2 cents on this matter as well.

I fully agree that there is no point in McDavid playing. He is well above this level. Nothing to be gained from him playing.

The issue is how the Oilers handled this. Do they benefit from people paying to watch this tournament? I know they aren't hosting it, but I am sure it is in their benefit for the tournament to make money. If 0 fans paid to see the games, would they be alright with that?

If they were going to only play him in 1 game, they should have said so. IMO, they left it all up in the air on purpose so that people would go and watch.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Mcdavid doesn't play on Wednesday then he obviously got injured from the Vrtanen hit. I'm more on the side that they want Mcdavid to be ready to go for his hometown fans.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Oh jesus.. stop the belly aching. We are talking about a freaking rookie tournament game.
He'll play in the Golden Bears game. If the team was "scared" he was going to be hurt.. he wouldn't be playing in the Golden Bears game.. which is traditionally a chippier game.

2 out of 4 games. Are you guys going to ***** that he doesn't play every preseason game too?

He better be! I'm driving all the way from BC to watch McDavid (and only McDavid) play there. :sarcasm:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The difference between sitting out these games vs. sitting out in preseason is that in this rookie tournament, there isn't a single player on that roster that is expected to be McDavid's linemate once the real games start in October. It's the guys like Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Pouliot that he will need to gain chemistry with, so playing some preseason games with those guys so TM can get a feel for who he works well with before the games count for points in the standings makes sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad