2015 World Juniors (Toronto/Montreal, Canada)

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
USA roster was just announced.

Some numbers, after glancing at the roster:

Hudson Fasching and Ryan Collins from the Gophers

BC and Michigan have the most individual players, with 5.

Big Ten is the most represented conference, with 8 players. Hockey East is next with 6.

9 CHL players.

Wild draftees in the tournament: Tuch (USA), Jenys (Czech Republic), Kähkönen (Finland)

Last edited:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Didn't even remember that our national team are the defeding champs.

Some players to follow from "our" camp:

Kasperi Kapanen (point per game in FEL - 9+7 in 16 games) drafted to Pittspurgh in 2014 draft
Jesse Puljujärvi (16 year old kid with some serious offensive potenial)
Mikko Rantanen (a big forward - 2015 draft eligible)

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Pavel Jenys is in the Czech Republic roster at the moment. He's doing pretty well in the OHL and I would imagine will play in the top-9 for Czech. Could be very good for him.

I don't think we have any other international guys, do we? So the only Wild guys going are Tuch and Jenys?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Pavel Jenys is in the Czech Republic roster at the moment. He's doing pretty well in the OHL and I would imagine will play in the top-9 for Czech. Could be very good for him.

I don't think we have any other international guys, do we? So the only Wild guys going are Tuch and Jenys?

Yeah I don't know of any other.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I just looked up the Laine kid you guys mentioned. He was born in '98.

In a few years we're going to start seeing kids born in the 2000's playing in the World Juniors. Wow.

At 23 years old, not too many things make me feel old, but that's one that does :laugh:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It will be interesting to see who are in the Finnish roster. Kähkönen might be in as a 3rd goaltender. But maybe not.

This year Finland's biggest weakness is defense. Goaltenders (Husso/Saros) are of course our biggest strenght.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Is Patrik Laine good enough to make the team?

Even if he was good enough (which he is currently not, clearly still needs more time to rehab his knee) he seems to be a persona non grata in the NT for now.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Really wish we had drafted Fasching.

What ticks me off is that Fasching went in the 4th round...after we picked Gabriel (3rd rd) and Labbe (4th rd). The fact that he slipped to the 4th round was surprising, why we didn't scoop him up was very head scratching to me at the time.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul

In a few years we're going to start seeing kids born in the 2000's playing in the World Juniors. Wow.

At 23 years old, not too many things make me feel old, but that's one that does :laugh:

I felt old when my youngest brother was legally able to buy alcohol. He was born in 91. Kids born in the 2000s close to playing in the World Juniors? That is just depressing to me hahaha

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

I felt old when my youngest brother was legally able to buy alcohol. He was born in 91. Kids born in the 2000s close to playing in the World Juniors? That is just depressing to me hahaha

I'm 19, most of these kids at the WJC's being younger than me make me depressed at how I feel like all these years have been a waste :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Even if he was good enough (which he is currently not, clearly still needs more time to rehab his knee) he seems to be a persona non grata in the NT for now.

Ha, that is probably correct.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
NHLN Broadcast Schedule

B5ZZoEtIUAETjGF.jpg:large

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Watched the Canada vs Sweden game tonight and the USA vs BU game a few days ago. Tuch looked awesome in the BU game, huge size to control the play but also has some really good hands, he was, dare I say, Dynamic.

Eichel and McDavid will be very interesting to follow for their careers, I have only seen McDavid a few times, as well as a lot of his highlights but I honestly prefer Eichel's game from what I have seen so far. McDavid plays a little too much on the perimeter from what I have seen, I also haven't seen the kind of shooting ability from him that will translate to the NHL that well. Eichel's game is pretty well primed for NHL play, if I had to guess, Eichel will have the better 1-3 years and then McDavid will take over between the two. I could be way off though, McDavid is obviously very very good.

Sweden didn't look very good in pre tourney play, their D is much weaker than past years. Canada's depth players also didn't look very good, the USA played a very clean game, much better chemistry and very crisp, probably helps with so many of them playing together from the NTDP.

I'm predicting a good year for the USA, but man will that US Canada game be a treat.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Watched the Canada vs Sweden game tonight and the USA vs BU game a few days ago. Tuch looked awesome in the BU game, huge size to control the play but also has some really good hands, he was, dare I say, Dynamic.

Eichel and McDavid will be very interesting to follow for their careers, I have only seen McDavid a few times, as well as a lot of his highlights but I honestly prefer Eichel's game from what I have seen so far. McDavid plays a little too much on the perimeter from what I have seen, I also haven't seen the kind of shooting ability from him that will translate to the NHL that well. Eichel's game is pretty well primed for NHL play, if I had to guess, Eichel will have the better 1-3 years and then McDavid will take over between the two. I could be way off though, McDavid is obviously very very good.

Sweden didn't look very good in pre tourney play, their D is much weaker than past years. Canada's depth players also didn't look very good, the USA played a very clean game, much better chemistry and very crisp, probably helps with so many of them playing together from the NTDP.

I'm predicting a good year for the USA, but man will that US Canada game be a treat.

You can't just be throwin' that word around like it means nothing.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Anyone know why Milano and Tuch were scratches for the US scrimmage vs. Germany?

They also scratched Eichel.

It was a "prove it" game for several players before final cuts, and the guys who assuredly made the team sat in order to make room for some of the fringe guys.

Tuch made the team. Probably a middle six player. He's got a size/speed/strength combo that not many players on the USA roster can match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad