2015 Training Camp & Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So because I don't drink Oiler Kool-Aid, you're calling me out? What exactly have they shown to change my mind because they've been a gong show forever. Until they show more, I still consider them a mess.

Nilsson couldn't cut it with us, we let him go. It's great he had a strong season in the KHL, that doesn't mean squat now. He has potential, but he's still a major question mark no matter how you slice it. Talbot is also a question mark. So 2 goalies with less than 100 NHL games under their belt are now the answer in goal for them, the place where goalies go to die?

Their defense is still sub par. Sekera was a good acquisition, but he's not a top pair guy yet the fan base expects him to be their lead dog. Schultz is mess in his own end and where is this offensive dynamo?

McDavid is quite a talent, it still doesn't change that they have no identity, no style of game, no discipline. The kids have been running the asylum with Hall as their lead dog. He's a talent, but he's an enigma and NOT a franchise player. Neither is RNH and Yakupov is the worst 1st overall since Stefan.

We've heard excuse after excuse after excuse. The Isles were never as big of a gong show as them, at least there was some sort of plan going on here. They're just trying to retrofit #1 overalls into a non-existent plan. Snow built this team (at a snail's pace), but he built it brick by brick. Comparing their situation to ours is an insult. Maybe superficially it looks similar, but you dig deep and really take a look at the situation... they are nowhere close. Lack of money was our biggest problem, they're problem is sheer ineptitude. Chiarelli ruined the Bruins, I've seen it up here after several years. If it wasn't for Tim Thomas playing Superman, Boston had no business winning a Cup.

It's going to take a lot more to convince me that they're no longer a laughing stock. I actually expect more from you seafoam that you're so easily swayed.

First of all, I'm not drinking the Oiler's kool-aid nor am I calling you out.

I think Talbot/Nilsson is the most stability they've have in net in years, which I know is not saying a lot right now (as you've pointed out), but it still means something to me.

You're right the defense is sub-par, and is not good enough to get them into the playoffs. Sekera, Fayne, Klefbom, and Reinhart is, in my opinion, the brightest group of defenseman the Oilers have had in years.

Also, Hall doesn't wear the C and reports are that Edmonton is going to roll with 3 A's, so McDavid is going to be the lead dog for that team sooner than later. Chiarelli ruined the Bruins, but he also built a team with tons of depth and he's proved that again in his first offseason with the Oilers.

My main point was that I was impressed with the turnover Chiarelli has done in one offseason while not going gangbusters like Goggles up in Buffalo. Whether Chiarelli can sustain team remains to be seen, but I think he can build them pretty well.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Art Staple is also the biggest Strait apologist this side of Jack Capuano. It must be Staple's best friend or favorite guy on the team. It literally seems like he will argue with people on Twitter to defend the guy and make him sound less bad. Here is the paragraph from his blog today:

The Brian Strait-Marek Zidlicky pairing didn't exactly wow anyone Sunday night, but it was their first game together and they were playing first-pair minutes, not third-pair. Jack Capuano said Zidlicky doesn't skate much in the summer and prefers playing preseason games, so perhaps he's just getting warmed up. But it's been a slow start for the only new addition to the Isles' blue line.

So, let me get this "Strait", the pairing didnt "wow", but then he goes on to use the rest of the paragraph to talk all about Zidlicky having a slow start and not looking good. Nothing about Strait. Ummmmm, last night Zidlicky was on ice for two goals against...Strait was on for FIVE!!!!!! How was the "pair" not "wowing" more of an indication of Zidlicky than it is on Strait?

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that we're sending Petrov down in order to keep Martin and Cizikas around.

Give me the 12 best forwards we have instead of "role players" any day.

The best fourth line in the NHL; just break it up?

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Art Staple is also the biggest Strait apologist this side of Jack Capuano. It must be Staple's best friend or favorite guy on the team. It literally seems like he will argue with people on Twitter to defend the guy and make him sound less bad. Here is the paragraph from his blog today:

The Brian Strait-Marek Zidlicky pairing didn't exactly wow anyone Sunday night, but it was their first game together and they were playing first-pair minutes, not third-pair. Jack Capuano said Zidlicky doesn't skate much in the summer and prefers playing preseason games, so perhaps he's just getting warmed up. But it's been a slow start for the only new addition to the Isles' blue line.

So, let me get this "Strait", the pairing didnt "wow", but then he goes on to use the rest of the paragraph to talk all about Zidlicky having a slow start and not looking good. Nothing about Strait. Ummmmm, last night Zidlicky was on ice for two goals against...Strait was on for FIVE!!!!!! How was the "pair" not "wowing" more of an indication of Zidlicky than it is on Strait?

Don't get how this makes Staple an apologist? Staple stated plenty of times last season that was he was shocked the way Cappy was using Strait and de Haan.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
What I'm saying, if you read my post, is that we will get a good idea of the severity of Halak's injury today/tomorrow because a lot of goalies are starting to hit the waiver wire or otherwise become available. If the Isles make a move to get a goaltender, then they feel the injury could parlay into the season.

Clearly Staple also agrees. Improve your reading comprehension, bud.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...n-islanders-as-preseason-concludes-1.10924722

You should learn to read between the lines!! i said ISLES FANS always want to claimed everything on waivers....do you honestly think that the answer for goalies is on waivers??? if you read Staple's article he talk about Kings Goalie JF Berube who's the only interesting goalie on waivers (The exception i was talking about) but the others are terrible!! Torkarski, Scrivens are the new Chad Johnsons.... so we need to pray Halak aint seriously hurt.

Btw Staple is opinions doesnt make he's right.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't get how this makes Staple an apologist? Staple stated plenty of times last season that was he was shocked the way Cappy was using Strait and de Haan.

Saw this on LHH comments, it was in regards to Staple's interview on Sirius radio on Friday morning...

So good news/bad news from Staple's radio hit this morning.

The bad news… He still things that all the Brian Strait hate is illogical. And that he’s just a whipping boy for the sake of being a whipping boy, and not because he is objectively one of the worst players in the league.

Actually, that’s not really the bad news. The bad news is that it doesn’t appear Zidlicky can play the left side at this point in his career, so Staple sees no alternative to Strait-Zidlicky as the 3rd pair on opening night in front of Thomas Greiss.

The good news is he said that we will likely see Matthew Barzal in a few regular season games, which will come at the initial expense of Petrov being sent down. The only remaining question is whether they’ll send Pulock down and break camp with just 6D and keep Boulton, or cut Boulton and make Pulock sit in the press box.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/10/2/9438497/islanders-news-halak-injury-barclays-horn-yormark

It was in the comments section by a poster named DoctorOsty

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
The best fourth line in the NHL; just break it up?

Disagree, particularly with Zeeker. His role on the team is significant and I think the majority of other clubs around the league would love to have Casey center their 4th line.

I get we are all excited about Petrov but let him familiarize himself with the NA game/rink a bit more before we plug him right into the top 9.

Andres spent a whopping 5 games in Bridgeport, proved himself and immediately got rewarded with a call-up while netting 25 goals. There is nothing wrong with making guys prove themselves. If he succeeds down there, he'll be up before you know it.

That may be the case with Zeeker, but wouldn't you at least want your 4th line center to be good at faceoffs and play good defense? I like CC, but he leaves a lot to be desired.

And I really don't get why we can't improve the "best 4th line in the NHL."

Why were they the "best?" Because they hit a lot of people?

Clutterbuck was the only player with a positive +/-.

Clutter was 7G 9A +1 60 PIM
Cizikas - 9G 9A -2 52% faceoff win %
Martin - 8G 6A - 4 114 PIM

Why are these 3 guys untouchable??

As we've seen on the defensive side with Strait, you're only as good as your weakest link.

We should always look to improve the team.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Is this the season the new owners gain majority control!?
I ask because they are ex-college players and big fans of hockey. This won't be like Wang coming in and admitting to reading a book to learn about the game.

My biggest hope for the coaching staff , is that we see some accountability. How Weight and Cappy have kept their coaching jobs is head scratching.

DeanCorso

Feb 20, 2014
Canada
Is this the season the new owners gain majority control!?
I ask because they are ex-college players and big fans of hockey. This won't be like Wang coming in and admitting to reading a book to learn about the game.

My biggest hope for the coaching staff , is that we see some accountability. How Weight and Cappy have kept their coaching jobs is head scratching.

The new owners take full charge next season....this is Wang last season as majority owner.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Saw this on LHH comments, it was in regards to Staple's interview on Sirius radio on Friday morning...

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2015/10/2/9438497/islanders-news-halak-injury-barclays-horn-yormark

So good news/bad news from Staple's radio hit this morning.

The bad news… He still things that all the Brian Strait hate is illogical. And that he’s just a whipping boy for the sake of being a whipping boy, and not because he is objectively one of the worst players in the league.

Actually, that’s not really the bad news. The bad news is that it doesn’t appear Zidlicky can play the left side at this point in his career, so Staple sees no alternative to Strait-Zidlicky as the 3rd pair on opening night in front of Thomas Greiss.

The good news is he said that we will likely see Matthew Barzal in a few regular season games, which will come at the initial expense of Petrov being sent down. The only remaining question is whether they’ll send Pulock down and break camp with just 6D and keep Boulton, or cut Boulton and make Pulock sit in the press box.

It was in the comments section by a poster named DoctorOsty

I highly doubt Barzal will be recalled.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I highly doubt Barzal will be recalled.

We know Barzal has been sent to Seattle, but that's not the part I wanted to highlight...

The part about Staple thinking the Strait hate is illogical is what I find concerning.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The new owners take full charge next season....this is Wang last season as majority owner.

Lousy news.

I am very tired of hearing about Wang/Snow's loyalty to their coaching staff.
Some accountability would be a nice change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad