Speculation: 2015 Trade Deadline Thread (Deadline: 3/2 3PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Letestu is a must sign. How many players in the league can play anywhere in the Top 12, on the PP, the PK and can be signed for less than 3 million dollars?

While it didn't work out because he was injured himself, he can fill into any spot of a lineup in the case of injury without that group missing a beat.

I'm comfortable whenever he is on the ice -- even with Jared Boll.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It seems pretty clear now that this year is dead. So whatever the FO does at the deadline, it will be consistent with their long term plan not for short term benefit.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Umm, if we are sellers, than we are not going to give up prospects and picks. We are going to try and improve our picks and prospects pool.

Dump vets that we don't need, and pick up pieces for the future.

I could see Arty, Letestu, Cam, Boll, Hartnell, Tropp, Gibbons, Skille, name that D man, going in some sort of deal.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've always been an advocate of getting out in front of things. (Making a move/moves before deadline day, treating deadline day like the beginning of the offseason, even if you're not out of contention, etc.)

I say this in context of EDM's comment about "long term plan". If that's the case, and he's probably right, then don't just move vets on expiring contracts for picks. I'm not suggesting blockbuster, but things that make sense "long term."

I understand waiting, but I'd rather not. That's just me, and the deadline rarely works out that way, so I expect this year to be no different.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I've always been an advocate of getting out in front of things. (Making a move/moves before deadline day, treating deadline day like the beginning of the offseason, even if you're not out of contention, etc.)

I say this in context of EDM's comment about "long term plan". If that's the case, and he's probably right, then don't just move vets on expiring contracts for picks. I'm not suggesting blockbuster, but things that make sense "long term."

I understand waiting, but I'd rather not. That's just me, and the deadline rarely works out that way, so I expect this year to be no different.

Problem is, you'd need another team to approach it this way. Sounds good to me to establish somewhat of a roster early while also enhancing our draft position. But there are probably a good number of potential trade partners who aren't sure quite where they're at just yet

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Problem is, you'd need another team to approach it this way. Sounds good to me to establish somewhat of a roster early while also enhancing our draft position. But there are probably a good number of potential trade partners who aren't sure quite where they're at just yet

Point taken (esp considering my position in the early-season "they're doing nothing" discussion.) And that's why I recognize that the team (any team) might have this philosophy and we'd never know it. So I guess I'm jus' sayin'...

But I'd be looking at non-traditional deadline scenarios for sure, and then broaching them with the other teams just to see. Of course, I'm the guy who used a photo of a giant car lot as his avatar many moons back with the slogan "kick every tire".

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I'm just not sure if we really have much to move at the deadline. Only pending UFAs are Letestu, Skille, Gibbons, Leopold, and none of them have real high value. And I feel like most people here agree that we want to keep Letestu around, but at what cost? What is the lowest offer that you would consider moving letestu?

My guess at draft pick value:

Letestu - 3rd
Leopold - 5th
Skille - 6th/7th
Gibbons - 6th/7th

I wouldnt move Letestu for a 3rd, but I probably would for a 2nd, and I don't think we will be offered that.

Atkinson and Calvert are RFAs but I don't feel like too many of those get moved around the deadline.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm just not sure if we really have much to move at the deadline. Only pending UFAs are Letestu, Skille, Gibbons, Leopold, and none of them have real high value. And I feel like most people here agree that we want to keep Letestu around, but at what cost? What is the lowest offer that you would consider moving letestu?

My guess at draft pick value:

Letestu - 3rd
Leopold - 5th
Skille - 6th/7th
Gibbons - 6th/7th

I wouldnt move Letestu for a 3rd, but I probably would for a 2nd, and I don't think we will be offered that.

Atkinson and Calvert are RFAs but I don't feel like too many of those get moved around the deadline.

I think Letestu is worth more. Letestu is a type of player playoff teams love to have. I think there would be a bid war

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Portzline pointed out in the chat that it's quite possible that Mike Reilly will not sign and test the free agent market when he's eligible.

I know he couldn't sign until after his season is over but I wonder if he might be floated as trade bait if the team has any indications that he's not going to sign with the CBJ. The Ducks lost Justin Schultz for nothing in the same manner.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Portzline pointed out in the chat that it's quite possible that Mike Reilly will not sign and test the free agent market when he's eligible.

I know he couldn't sign until after his season is over but I wonder if he might be floated as trade bait if the team has any indications that he's not going to sign with the CBJ. The Ducks lost Justin Schultz for nothing in the same manner.

If teams noticed suddenly the CBJ were offering up a top college prospect in trades when they're in the bottom half of the league they would get suspicious and snoop around, and then find out Reilly is going to go to UFA and not sign, and thus not be interested.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If teams noticed suddenly the CBJ were offering up a top college prospect in trades when they're in the bottom half of the league they would get suspicious and snoop around, and then find out Reilly is going to go to UFA and not sign, and thus not be interested.

Unless he has an interest in signing there.

There is no guarantee that he is going to leave school after this season and the trade deadline occurs before his collegiate season is over. Nothing is for certain and he's still only a 4th round raft pick from a prospect standpoint.

I'm not saying give him away for almost nothing at this point but if the right deal occurs for a team that thinks they could sign him, then so be it. If he leaves school and walks for nothing over the summer, at least getting the 4td round pick used on him in return would be a plus.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, Letestu would draw a lot of interest from playoff teams because of his versatility.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I think the most interesting story line this deadline is going to be which defensemen go. Do we trade a Johnson or a tyutin for a big return (D prices are always insane during the deadline) or do we trade off the "spare parts" blueliners like Leopold.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Murray and Savard are off limits imo, both are young with very high upside (especially Murray). It would have to be gross overpayment to pry either of these two away from Columbus.

On the other hand, Jack Johnson and James Wisniewski could definitely be had for the right price. I would be more hesitant to move Wiz, though, since he is the backbone of our PP which is one of the few bright spots of this season. To address the proposal of Loui Eriksson for JJ, I would say the Bruins have to add. Jack is far more valuable than that.

Leopold easily could go for a 6th, maybe a 5th to a contending team desperate enough. So could Prout and Goloubef. Tyutin and Connauton should draw a lot of interest, too, but I wouldn't move either unless if we can get a very good pick back for Tyuts.

With the latest Portzline rumors that Atkinson has been discussed, you've got to think that maybe they would consider packaging him and a defenseman for a player/high pick coming back. A package of Atkinson+Tyutin/Leopold/Prout/Golo?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Te CBJ are ripe to move guys... Calvert (if healthy), Atkinson, Dubinsky, Anisimov... The list is endless.... Joey, Bob and young guys as Wennberg are the only guys off the market..

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sounds like folks are proposing a full scale rebuild.

Let's not forget that we are already one of the youngest teams in the league. Perhaps what we need is maturity, rather than more youth?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Let's not forget that we are already one of the youngest teams in the league. Perhaps what we need is maturity, rather than more youth?

Bingo. Hense why keeping guys like Dubi is essential

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Maturity... now that's something which Kek can embrace...

New motto.... maturity next season, do it...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
In addition to greater hockey IQ, this squad needs more professionalism. This crap this year of not showing up to play at game time has got to stop!

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Agree..... get a time tested NA GM..... I won't say this again.....

For the 50th time. Roster decisions are 100% on the coach aside from signings and trades. Recalls and demotions are joint between the coaches and GM. It's shared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad