2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Wow, Lightning aren't even putting Drouin in for Callahan. Instead, they're putting Jonathan Marchessault in, who has played 4 career games.

What is going on there?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wow, Lightning aren't even putting Drouin in for Callahan. Instead, they're putting Jonathan Marchessault in, who has played 4 career games.

What is going on there?

Cooper... people assume because he coaches a youngish team and coached in the AHL that he isn't hard on rookies, but he is as harsh as any coach is on them. He doesn't put up with rookie mistakes at all.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

What is going on there?

For whatever reason he's just a poor fit there. Before someone tells me he'll be a superstar in due time he needs to play to get there. I swear they are going to send him to the AHL next year, it's clear they only had him on the team this year because they had no other choice.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Cooper... people assume because he coaches a youngish team and coached in the AHL that he isn't hard on rookies, but he is as harsh as any coach is on them. He doesn't put up with rookie mistakes at all.

I can understand that, but he's choosing a guy with 4 career games in the NHL over him. That's basically another rookie, and a small, crappy one at that. I could understand if there was some grizzled veteran waiting in the press box, but for Marchessault? I don't see it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Got a real good feeling Drouin is traded within the next 2 years. I know he doesn't have much leverage to basically demand a trade, but he hasn't exactly been treated like a 3rd overall pick, nor has he been treated like the team actually cares about him moving forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I can understand that, but he's choosing a guy with 4 career games in the NHL over him. That's basically another rookie, and a small, crappy one at that. I could understand if there was some grizzled veteran waiting in the press box, but for Marchessault? I don't see it.

Marchessault has much more pro experience and plays a much safer game than Drouin. Drouin's style of play (and the mistakes that result) drives Coop nuts and it is obvious. I'm not saying it is the right decision on Cooper's part, but that he is very hard on rookies who don't play the way he wants. To Cooper's credit, the kids seem to figure it out under him, but there is a transition period.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Marchessault has much more pro experience and plays a much safer game than Drouin. Drouin's style of play (and the mistakes that result) drives Coop nuts and it is obvious. I'm not saying it is the right decision on Cooper's part, but that he is very hard on rookies who don't play the way he wants. To Cooper's credit, the kids seem to figure it out under him, but there is a transition period.

At what point though does it kill a player's creativity? Yes guys like Johnson, Palat and Kucherov have figured it out but all players are different and learn differently. There's no doubt that Drouin has much more offensive potential and creativity than all three, yet if he's constantly locked up and held back, does it do him good to hold back his biggest asset?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
At what point though does it kill a player's creativity? Yes guys like Johnson, Palat and Kucherov have figured it out but all players are different and learn differently. There's no doubt that Drouin has much more offensive potential and creativity than all three, yet if he's constantly locked up and held back, does it do him good to hold back his biggest asset?

That is the $10m question. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cooper coach his way out of a job because of his ways. Yzerman has built his team a certain way, and his coach isn't coaching to their strengths. If I had to guess the organization will choose their prospects over Cooper.

It won't happen this year, but I think Cooper will be on the hot seat next year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

palat and johnson are cooper's guys from AHL. they also play very good D. he's familiar with them, trusts them and rides them hard.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
palat and johnson are cooper's guys from AHL. they also play very good D. he's familiar with them, trusts them and rides them hard.

Which is understandable, but you've got a potential game breaker just sitting there, waiting to play, and a star in Stamkos who is dying for someone creative to play with, and you as a coach can't see the potential opportunity there?

I've got to believe that if Montreal comes back and wins this series, serious questions will be asked about Cooper this summer.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Which is understandable, but you've got a potential game breaker just sitting there, waiting to play, and a star in Stamkos who is dying for someone creative to play with, and you as a coach can't see the potential opportunity there?

I've got to believe that if Montreal comes back and wins this series, serious questions will be asked about Cooper this summer.

coaches don't think 'potential opportunity'.

they think 'potential risk' first.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
coaches don't think 'potential opportunity'.

they think 'potential risk' first.

Some coaches do, some coaches don't. If it's a player who is a clear liability and his potential for offence isn't that great, then sure. But when that player is as dynamic as Drouin, the potential reward outweighs the potential risk.

A coach like Cooper making this kind of personnel decision isn't coaching to win. He's coaching not to lose

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Some coaches do, some coaches don't. If it's a player who is a clear liability and his potential for offence isn't that great, then sure. But when that player is as dynamic as Drouin, the potential reward outweighs the potential risk.

A coach like Cooper making this kind of personnel decision isn't coaching to win. He's coaching not to lose

i agree with you but this is how most coaches do it.. especially the last sentence applies to so many.

coach Q might be one of the few exceptions and there have been many, many rookies who won't crack the lineup under his command. they need to play like 10 year vets for him to trust them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ovechkin guaranteed a game 7 win? He'll need to step up. Even a non-elite player like Stamkos is outscoring him right now.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Ovechkin guaranteed a game 7 win? He'll need to step up. Even a non-elite player like Stamkos is outscoring him right now.

Stamkos is a non-elite player? Shwat?

I think Marchesseseuermammerault is a good pick, he was a gamer in his brief opportunity. I also agree that Drouin is starting to look like trade bait.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Stamkos is a non-elite player? Shwat?
I don't think he's an elite player, and seems like some are still hung up on that. I never said he was a bad player, I just don't believe he's elite. Fantastic goal scorer, think the rest of his game isn't elite at all. I mean, the guy went 2+ games without registering a shot on goal in this series. If that was Ovechkin, wouldn't we hear more about it?

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Whoever wins the Rangers/Capitals series is the team I want to win the Cup.

I am with TPS here, I am going for Rangers, but I think Capitals win it. I do hope it goes in OT though, that would be crazy! Sucks it is on Wednesday though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Whoever wins the Rangers/Capitals series is the team I want to win the Cup.

I am with TPS here, I am going for Rangers, but I think Capitals win it. I do hope it goes in OT though, that would be crazy! Sucks it is on Wednesday though.

Hank had his chance at the cup last season, I'd love to see Ovie get to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad