• Brandon Carlo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Meier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So is Marner also better than Matthews? Or maybe centers group is much stronger than wingers one?
The center position is more stacked than the winger position, but not sure what that has to do with the fact that Matthews is better than Marner, and Marner is better than Aho.
Looking back, I bet the Leafs take Chabot over Marner.
Not a chance.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
The center position is more stacked than the winger position, but not sure what that has to do with the fact that Matthews is better than Marner, and Marner is better than Aho.

Not a chance.

He used argument Marner is better because he is higher on winger list than Aho on center list.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I would 100% take Marner at #3 in this draft, and although unlikely, I’m not even fully convinced I wouldn’t take him at #2.

There is no player on the leafs who impact them one way or the other more by having a good or sub standard season. The last two seasons illustrate this perfectly well.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Marner is a proven 90+ point caliber winger. He’s not slipping from his draft position. Though the fact that he didn’t move up either despite his elite offensive production speaks volumes to the ridiculous strength of the 2015 draft class.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
In a normal draft I could see Marner going 4th but the 2015 class is so deep with high end talent who are just better than him. No shame dropping to 8 or 9 in this redraft where he belongs. But I guess some chest thumping insecurities sometimes make these polls quite off

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Marner by a slight margin, but i got Rantanen/Barzal/Weresnki all in the same tier. Absolutely stacked draft class

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Oh yes, all those players better than him...too bad you're scared to name names.

Are you forgetting Marner put up 90+ points last year and was on pace for the same this season?
Hes definitely a great regular season performer but if we are doing a redraft we have the luxury of ranking these players in ALL circumstances, like playoffs. As well as recent risers too.

I did list players Id take over him already, I will do it again for you bub

McDavid
Eichel
Aho
Barzal
Rantanen
Chabot
Werenski
Proborov

And Im a big Marner fan too, but got the luxury of ranking these guys without ya blinders

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Hes definitely a great regular season performer but if we are doing a redraft we have the luxury of ranking these players in ALL circumstances, like playoffs. As well as recent risers too.
21 points in 25 playoff games. The playoff performance thing is a myth.
However, even if it was true, why would you take a tiny playoff sample size over a large regular season sample? Using that logic would skew a lot of information.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Marner's arguably the top offensive player left on the list. He's an elite playmaker and puck carrier who creates chances for his linemates as well as any playmaker in this entire poll.

The only "knock" on Marner is the position he plays, and whether or not a winger can ever have the same total impact on a game than a center or defenseman can.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Career arc wise. Marner's main competition is Kucherov, Kane, Marchand, and Panarin. Three of those players are aging out. Over the next couple of years couple be the best winger in the game, and arguably has the most value out of those five given his age.

Last edited by a moderator:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
How is Marner winning here? You take a 1c or 1d over a winger unless he’s a franchise changer.
Marne is a 23 year old winger that has average 93 points over the past 2 seasons...Go look up the list of players that have done that as U23 players...they are franchise wingers.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
If we factor in contracts, I wouldn't have Mitch top 10 and i'm a Leafs fan. He has so much to prove after that bs and horrible playoff performance.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't like Marner going here. Offensive winger on a straight-offense team playing exclusively with elite offensive centers, and he barely outscores 1Cs who carry like Barzal and Aho. I'd have both of them solidly ahead of Marner. I think Marner is in the same class as Rantanen. It's a bit harder to tell because D-men take longer to develop, but I'm considering Werenski and Chabot ahead of Marner and Rantanen. But Aho and Barzal ahead of Marner is an easy one.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
He's been Nashville's 1C for a while now, although he isn't the best 1C (which is why I used him for the example). Perhaps you are defining 1C in a different way.
Yea I mean a true 1c - I don’t think all teams necessarily have one. Similar to a true 1d, of which there aren’t that many in the league.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Marner is great offensively but your impact on the game is quite limited (imo) as a winger. If Hart was eligible for the 2015 draft I honestly could see the argument in having him 3rd here (if you believe he will be a top 5 goalie in the league year after year).

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I don't like Marner going here. Offensive winger on a straight-offense team playing exclusively with elite offensive centers, and he barely outscores 1Cs who carry like Barzal and Aho. I'd have both of them solidly ahead of Marner. I think Marner is in the same class as Rantanen. It's a bit harder to tell because D-men take longer to develop, but I'm considering Werenski and Chabot ahead of Marner and Rantanen. But Aho and Barzal ahead of Marner is an easy one.
over the last 2 seasons, Marner has paced at 93 points, Aho at 81 and Barzal at 66. I wouldn't call that barely outscoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad