Prospect Info: 2015 Prospect Development Camp

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Didn't know they played together...

A former bantam teammate of Sprong, Pavlychev is an extraordinarily large player, at 6’7. He has a pterodactyl-type wingspan and has pretty decent vision on the ice. The Penguins have scouted Pavlychev extensively and will continue to do so now that he is among their draft prospects. Aside from seeing him at various points during his two bantam seasons in Wilkes-Barre, giant Russian is currently coached by Dave Allison, who has ties to the Penguins front office.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So first day of development camp, and we need an injury thread. Oskar out with a lower-body, per the FAN. Looks like he came into camp with it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I wonder if Sheary has a legit shot at 4th line duties this year? I suppose more likely a cup of coffee during the year. But he's an exciting guy who can produce.

Anyone know if he plays on the PK?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wonder if Sheary has a legit shot at 4th line duties this year? I suppose more likely a cup of coffee during the year. But he's an exciting guy who can produce.

Anyone know if he plays on the PK?

He'd be wasted in a bottom line role.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Pouliot is going to have a breakout season this year. I'm so thrilled we didn't have to trade him to acquire Kessel.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Pouliot is going to have a breakout season this year. I'm so thrilled we didn't have to trade him to acquire Kessel.

Would be really nice to get a better fitting D partner with him. I like Dumo-Cole as a pairing. Need an upgrade on Lovejoy to play with Pouliot.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
“It’s pretty intense there, to be honest,” Pouliot said. “They’ve got their chiropractors and massage people to keep the bodies working like they should be. The thing with (Roberts) is that he really helps us with nutrition and the lifestyle stuff, how to be a pro, because he’s been through it all before.”
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774812

Murray interview. Found this impressive. Kid's got a bright future.
[NHL]832343[/NHL]

Sundqvist
[NHL]832344[/NHL]

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

Gary was putting them through the off-ice paces today:
GaryRoberts-2_slide.jpg

Pouliot-1_slide.jpg

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Murray sounds poised, mature & quite aware of what's going on.

Absolutely no fear of him going ROR. I have a good feeling about this kid & i hope Jarry does well too, if only for trade purposes 'cause Murray is going to back Fleury sooner than later. Thanks OGBobby for the goodies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Np.

Some more tidbits from DK:

Derrick Pouliot pinched his biceps.

“Look at that,†he was showing and telling me Tuesday after the opening of the Penguins’ five-day development camp at Consol Energy Center. “What is that, maybe a millimeter?â€

Yeah, if that.

“I’ve lost 8 pounds, added a lot of muscle,†he continued. “I’ve been working out with Gary Roberts. There’s no messing around with that guy. It’s all business.â€

“Well, this is a big year for me, for our whole team, so things just aren’t the same anymore,†Pouliot continued once I finally broached that topic. “When we get to training camp, this isn’t just about me coming in and fighting for a job like last season. It’s about me coming in and having this team know they can count on me.â€

When I asked Pouliot which facet of his game required the most focus heading into camp in September, he started with, “I need to be a bigger part of the offense, join the rush, support the play, even if I’m the guy who makes the initial outlet. I understand that. It’s got to be a big part of my game.â€

OK, and?

“And I’ve got to be a better defender.â€

There it was.

“I’ve got to win more battles in the corners, take better care of the front of the net and do everything that a solid defenseman does.â€

And how much of that, I pressed on, will come down to nothing more than focusing?

“A lot, to be honest. It’s got to become a big part of my game. I know that.â€

The real best player on the ice: Mark Recchi, now the player development coach, handled all the passing out of the corner on one drill and was sensational. He’s 47, but here’s betting the old Wreckin’ Ball could still take a shift or two at the top level.
More with video @ http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/07/14/penguins-development-camp-pouliot-mans-up/

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Pouliot actually did better along the boards than I expected him to. It was his defensive zone awareness that was awful. Very often he seemed to take an extra half second or more to process and react to the puck/player movement in the D-zone. I'm not even talking about complex plays like 3 on 2's or crazy rebounds. He just looked (mentally) slow and lost on a lot of occasions. That's why I have extreme reservations of him being capable of top-4 duty this season or even the next one. Good to see him taking his fitness to the next level at least.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pouliot actually did better along the boards than I expected him to. It was his defensive zone awareness that was awful. Very often he seemed to take an extra half second or more to process and react to the puck/player movement in the D-zone. I'm not even talking about complex plays like 3 on 2's or crazy rebounds. He just looked (mentally) slow and lost on a lot of occasions. That's why I have extreme reservations of him being capable of top-4 duty this season or even the next one. Good to see him taking his fitness to the next level at least.

He's always been lax in those situations. He just needs to add urgency to his game. Many times he gets beaten to a spot on the ice or doesn't tie up a man not because he didn't know to do it, but because he seems to think he has more time than he does.

That's what he needs to work on. It's the one thing I've harped on about his game since JRs.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's always been lax in those situations. He just needs to add urgency to his game. Many times he gets beaten to a spot on the ice or doesn't tie up a man not because he didn't know to do it, but because he seems to think he has more time than he does.

That's what he needs to work on. It's the one thing I've harped on about his game since JRs.
Yeah he kind of reminds me of Larry Murphy in that way. I'm hoping that like Murph he can learn how to strip players of pucks afterwards.

Are these practices open to the public?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad