Salary Cap: 2015 offseason roster-building thread I | Charts in post #1 | Cap projection: $71.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If the only injury he has now is a concussion i definitly think you can get good value from him.

He played well this year, unlike last year, PMD who can play 25-30 mins a game and put up lots of points have huge value in the NHL.

It's not just THIS concussion though. He has a history of concussions, on top of his recent health concerns regarding his heart. Letang is an incredibly talented player, however his injury problems have come too well known around this league. His contract is a long-term investment that no team will be looking to commit themselves to for damaged goods.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Yeah, I´m fully in a sign Panarin/Tikhonov camp. Do everything to make Malkin happy. I have big concerns about Geno coming forward, we need to be careful with him.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
Unlike quite a few people, I absolutely loved how the Pens played against the Rangers and saw this season as a step in the right direction. That being said, we definitely need to take out the trash. How that happens will determine how next season goes for the Pens - we really weren't that far off this season.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
If the only injury he has now is a concussion i definitly think you can get good value from him.

He played well this year, unlike last year, PMD who can play 25-30 mins a game and put up lots of points have huge value in the NHL.

No one knows about Letang, he could be another Marc Savard. After the Cooke hit, Savard came back to play in some playoff games and then for about another 20 or so games the following season. Did the Bruins just rush him??? If he would have sat out an entire year, Maybe Savard would still be playing. With Letang's concussion and migraine history, you will not get anywhere near full value for him in a trade, right now. Probably untradeable, just too much of a risk. If you want full value for Letang, he has to play at least a half a year at a high level and of course be injury free. Letang's future is just a big Question mark.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
When are some of you going to realize that no GM in his right mind is going to trade anything worthwhile for Letang right now?? The guy is coming off a season-ending concussion and has a history of injury concerns. Add to that a long-term contract at a 7 million dollar per season cap hit and I really don't see many teams lining up to offer a top 6 forward for him.

Learn to temper your expectations a bit people...

There are always bad trades out there. We should know! GM's get a little crazy especially if they saw Letang on the trading block. There would be teams offering what we need.

Letang for a really good top 6 forward would be a fair trade. There will be a lot of teams lining up for him. This is his first playoffs he has missed due to injury and over the last 4 seasons he is running at .8ppg while still being solid on D. As for his cap hit you will see Franson, Martin etc get close to that.

Why do we want to trade him again? :laugh:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
If Letang was cleared to play about half the league would want him and that's excluding good teams who have a tight cap and wouldn't want to take the risk. Whether that would be a team HE would want to go to is another story. He names only 5 teams he'll go to every year, is that correct?

I wouldn't want to trade him it's just I think you can build a defense without Kris Letang and still win the Cup. If it was anyone even a little better than Letang I wouldn't say that. Like I said, all things being equal I don't want to get rid of him. I think dealing him if you were dealing a star would be the path of least resistance though.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I emphasize PROBABLY lol. I know it's wishful thinking on my part, but I actually do see a 2nd rounder being feasible.

The only chance of a 1st or 2nd for Kunitz is if Shero get's another GM job and the Pittsburgh 9 all get fired and all go to another team, then Pittsburgh hires a good GM who starts a bidding war between the two factions of morons.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
If Letang was cleared to play about half the league would want him and that's excluding good teams who have a tight cap and wouldn't want to take the risk. Whether that would be a team HE would want to go to is another story. He names only 5 teams he'll go to every year, is that correct?

I wouldn't want to trade him it's just I think you can build a defense without Kris Letang and still win the Cup. If it was anyone even a little better than Letang I wouldn't say that. Like I said, all things being equal I don't want to get rid of him. I think dealing him if you were dealing a star would be the path of least resistance though.

Personally I think Letang should have been moved instead of re-sign and especially after the stupid "ssssh!" again Philly. But with that said, on his at least 4th major concussion with a somewhat reckless style of play, I'd move him for a young forward + losing the cap hit. But of course I don't see all the players like family members.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Personally I think Letang should have been moved instead of re-sign and especially after the stupid "ssssh!" again Philly. But with that said, on his at least 4th major concussion with a somewhat reckless style of play, I'd move him for a young forward + losing the cap hit. But of course I don't see all the players like family members.

I've said before here that I secretly hoped they wouldn't come to terms with him. Nothing to do with his talent level, it was just too much big money jammed up in a few players. Not saying they'd definitely have been better, but they'd have what would seem like 100x more cap flexibility if they would've been forced to trade him.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
There are always bad trades out there. We should know! GM's get a little crazy especially if they saw Letang on the trading block. There would be teams offering what we need.

Letang for a really good top 6 forward would be a fair trade. There will be a lot of teams lining up for him. This is his first playoffs he has missed due to injury and over the last 4 seasons he is running at .8ppg while still being solid on D. As for his cap hit you will see Franson, Martin etc get close to that.

Why do we want to trade him again? :laugh:

I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal opinion is that his overwhelming health issues outweigh the potential good he can do when he's healthy. I'd rather have 80% of a Letang that costs less and will be able to play a full season.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Toronto couldn't move a healthy D man making 7 or so for the next 6 years. Moving Letang with 7.25 million with his health history is just next to impossible. But you never know when some GM does something really stupid so who knows.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't think we really have a choice as far as Lovejoy goes. It's unlikely that they trade him in the wake of the fallout of acquiring him. If Scuderi does, in fact, somehow get moved, either by trade or a buy-out, your scenario is the most realistic, I think.

I think it was another thread where you mentioned Backes. Not sure which one, but, the idea that the Blues would be looking to dump him for cap space is an intriguing one. Any idea what it would take to acquire him?

I love Backes, but I doubt it was me, unless this was two years ago or something. Backes is two years--at most--from washing up and I don't believe we will be a contender in that period.

Maybe you're thinking of Berglund? I'd very much like to sell high on Sutter and buy a little bit under the radar on Berglund who I believe to not only be a better player, but a better fit. But it seems the executives have married Brandon Sutter, so that's probably out the window.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Toronto couldn't move a healthy D man making 7 or so for the next 6 years. Moving Letang with 7.25 million with his health history is just next to impossible. But you never know when some GM does something really stupid so who knows.

Letang is not Phaneuf.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal opinion is that his overwhelming health issues outweigh the potential good he can do when he's healthy. I'd rather have 80% of a Letang that costs less and will be able to play a full season.

Where do you acquire a player that is 80% as good as Letang? None of the players in FA are even close to being that good, and top pairing defensemen aren't going to be cheap in a trade.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya, if they could land a Tyson Barrie for Letang, I could get behind a deal like that.

Barrie will get paid soon though, but he's going to be a RFA after next season. Probably looking at 6m for a guy like him.

If they could move Letang + Despres for Barrie and ROR, that would be a huge deal for the Pens.

Oh wait...

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kapanen - Malkin - Panarin
Sundqvist - Sutter - Frolik
Comeau - Lapierre - Megna

Maatta - Letang
Cole - Petry
Dumoulin - Lovejoy

Fleury
Zatkoff

Pens get younger, faster, more skilled. Balanced on defense as well. Pens also have Wilson, Rust, Harrington, etc to step in when injuries occur.

I'd be worried about the defense of the top two lines however. But if gives the young players experience, while still being competitive. Is it perfect? Hell no. Would it make the playoffs? No idea.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Based on the way Chorney played I'd be shocked if some team didn't offer him stupid money and a 3 year contract.

If he can be retained for a reasonable amount and term I would do it. The bottom pairing of him and Dumo would be fine.

We need Letang and Maatta to stay healthy and that is a big task. I would look for a solid 3-4 in free agency and one more reclamation project to slot in as the 7th Dman. Give Lovejoy away for a sack of potatoes.

I'm interested to see how Kap does and if he is even ready to hit the NHL and contribute. If you are BB you have to take the ball in your own hands and tell Geno you are training with him in Russia this off season. Make yourself relevant.

Chorney will do well to earn a 1 year 1 way deal.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kapanen - Malkin - Panarin
Sundqvist - Sutter - Frolik
Comeau - Lapierre - Megna

Maatta - Letang
Cole - Petry
Dumoulin - Lovejoy

Fleury
Zatkoff

Pens get younger, faster, more skilled. Balanced on defense as well. Pens also have Wilson, Rust, Harrington, etc to step in when injuries occur.

I'd be worried about the defense of the top two lines however. But if gives the young players experience, while still being competitive. Is it perfect? Hell no. Would it make the playoffs? No idea.

You don't have Pouliot FYI, but I guess make Lovejoy or Dumo the 7th and it's all the same.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He's saying IN a trade FOR Letang.

Yeah, but what teams are going to have the salary cap space, be willing to take a risk on Letang, and have a defenseman like that that they are willing to part with?

I'm all for trading him if the deal is right, but I just don't know who would be available.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, but what teams are going to have the salary cap space, be willing to take a risk on Letang, and have a defenseman like that that they are willing to part with?

I'm all for trading him if the deal is right, but I just don't know who would be available.

You're never going to come out winning a Letang deal.

Especially if Rutherford is the one making that deal.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012

I mean, it's obviously not as simple as that, I know that. In a video game it's no problem, in reality you'd be moving assets to a few different places. Maybe Letang brings a top 6 winger and a pick or two, and some other moves land the d-man.

WooWooKennyWu*

You're never going to come out winning a Letang deal.

Especially if Rutherford is the one making that deal.

You don't win on any deal involving Letang, Malkin, Crosby. Like turn your ****ing brain on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad