Salary Cap: 2015 offseason roster-building thread I | Charts in post #1 | Cap projection: $71.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Roster wise, we're not too far off.

Perron-Sid-Horny
xxxx-Geno-Bennett
KK-xxxxx-Dupuis
xxxxx-Laps-xxxxx

Letang-Maata
Cole-xxxxx
DP-Doum
Harrington
Chorney

So if the miracle happens and we can rid ourselves of Kunitz, Scuds, Adams, Sutter, and Spaling, let Winnik, Comeau, and Downie go, and bid farewell to Martin and Ehroff, we should have a ton of space to fill 5 spots.

Those 5 spots IMO should be filled with physical players who can skate. I'm not talking faux physical guys like Winnik, but guys that will get to the net and wreak havoc. The 4th line should be easy enough with some AHL guys. So that leaves a top 6 winger, 3rd line center (Matthias preferably), and hopefully a physical defenseman.

All too easy right?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
My thoughts on the off season are here;

[Tweet]591379404493889536[/Tweet]

Some good free agency targets available

Roster I got with some realism was;

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Tlusty - Malkin - Panarin
Beleskey - Spaling - Comeau
Winnik - Lapierre - Downie

Letang - Maatta
Petry - Pouliot
Cole - Lovejoy
Chorney

Fleury
Greiss

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Winnik has been a big disappointment, but he was not always put in positions to be effective. But I agree, there probably should be no UFA that stays, Comeau had a great start and then he was injured. After that he was not the same player and he took to many penalties.

Wilson should be a regular come next season, hopefully Sundqvist will join him, but I don´t think Kapanen will be ready yet. As mentioned before, my No.1 trade option would be Sutter, but I don´t think the organization sees it the same way. Kunitz probably should be gone as well, but I doubt that will happen as well. I´d like Dupuis back in a 3rd line role, he still can be an important piece.

Perron was a disappointment as well, got of to a good start and his decline might have just as much to do with the team struggling, so I am very interested how he will play next season. If only we had more guys like Hornqvist.....

Bennett? Well, I don´t think you can give up on him already, but he just had a brutal year, not only because of his countless injuries. Spaling was solid, but for 2.2 million, is solid enough?

Martin will leave a big hole on D, hopefully Letang and Maata will be back healthy. Dumoulin HAS TO BE an every day NHL player, he is really good. Cole has played well and he will have a spot for sure. So, this is 4 guys.....

Pouliot showed some good things, but he needs to improve on the defensive side of the game big time! I expected Harrington to make the jump to the NHL without problems. That did not happen, but that doesn´t mean he won´t make it either. Some players just need more time. Lovejoy probably will be here as well. Can we even buy out Scuderi? Not sure about that.....

What I would like to see on D is a big, physical guy that can skate, well, I know we already kind of had that, but he is in Anaheim now.

Fleury was very good, so he is not to blame, but I still would like him to play less so a better backup than Greiss is needed. It should be a busy offseason, but it will be hard because the cap won´t go up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's definitely time for the young guy movement on the blueline. I think Dumoulin has been getting progressively better, and should be an every day NHL player next season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I will also give Rutherford some credit - most of his signings and trades were the only ones to show up in the playoffs. Hornqvist, Lapierre, and Ian Cole were fantastic. Perron and Lovejoy were not.

Lapierre had that look in these playoffs that Max Talbot used to get. I'd bring him back, without a question.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Having watched dumoulin at BC, he was outstanding from day one in all areas. Always thought he would have a good NHL career, just think he needs to be given a legitimate chance. Having said that, jim rutherford already traded him once so i don't know how he feels about him.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
My thoughts on the off season are here;

[Tweet]591379404493889536[/Tweet]

Some good free agency targets available

Roster I got with some realism was;

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Tlusty - Malkin - Panarin
Beleskey - Spaling - Comeau
Winnik - Lapierre - Downie

Letang - Maatta
Petry - Pouliot
Cole - Lovejoy
Chorney

Fleury
Greiss

This team with Tlusty in the top six even using realism is gross. And they should move on from, Downie. His bad outweighed the good. They can handle 100+ penalty minutes but not 200+++++. Man if that guy wasn't marked by the league he'd be fine.

It's definitely time for the young guy movement on the blueline. I think Dumoulin has been getting progressively better, and should be an every day NHL player next season.

They really don't have a choice, and he certainly made enough case for himself to at least be the 6/7 to start out next season.

Pens are not really that dire this off-season, couple good signings and get back at it.

Pay double to the guy to reverse the curse to whoever cast it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
XXX - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX
Sundqvist - XXX - XXX
Farnham

Maatta - Letang
Cole - XXX
Pouliot - Dumoulin
Lovejoy

Fleury
XXX

• Kunitz, Scuderi, Adams, Ehrhoff and Greiss should definitely be gone.
  • Commit to giving Bennett 20 games in the top 6 to see what they've actually got in him.
  • Trade Sutter, preferably for a top 6 winger or a prospect who is close to NHL ready.
  • Probably let Martin go and see if we can bring in a more physical top 4 dman to replace him.
  • Leave a spot open on the 4th line for a prospect and go with a young and hungry line that could be centred by a vet.
  • See what's our there in the 3rd line centre market, if can't find the right fit use Spaling as a place holder for the year.
  • Consider bringing back Winnik depending on the price, I liked him on the PK, less so at ES.
  • Downie/Comeau, consider bringing back one of them to be 3rd line RWer
  • Explore bringing in a guy from Europe as a low risk high reward option
  • Bring in a cheap backup or go with Zatkoff.
  • Get bigger and/or faster

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need to get grit on the back end. Dumo needs to ad some weight and strength. Chorney not sure but he did show some physical play and appears he has some good awareness out there. Both played well in a playoff atmosphere which is good news. At the very least, Pens have some competition there. MJ mishandled Bennett and should have kept him on Malkins line. He can bang, has skill, nice hands and smarts. Pens will make a mistake trading him. Nothing new there. KK needs to lock himself in the weight room and add 10 pounds. He will mature and gain the typical body growth but for next year, he needs to add some needed size and strength. Oscar S can be a third or fourth line center for next year. Rust showed some skill and Wilson has skills but man he is small. Resign Comeau as his speed and shot if healthy is good and hustles. He adds some physical toughness and is an asset. Downie, gone. Winnik, nice guy but doesn't add any real value.

Kunitz traded or buyout, Scuderi, for sure, Dupuis is tough due to health. Letang may still work out health wise, but who knows. Maatta by all accounts will be back better than ever so good news. With the expected moves to clear cap space and retool, Pens are maybe three deals from actually being very good next year. LW, with size speed and grit. RH D man with size and grit. Open to trading young D men for young wingers as well. Restock the farm and no more trades of picks.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think the roster is that far off. The most troublesome area is the overall vision of management. In light of that, I don't suspect they'll be able to fill the few holes that we have or make the proper evaluations on the current roster.

With that being said, I feel very strongly that it is finally time to just let the young guys play on defense. It's time to see the payoff from all of the d-hoarding over the years.

Stop with the Ehrhoff-type signings and roll with:

Letang
Maatta
Pouliot
Dumoulin
Lovejoy
Cole
Harrington

Outside of Letang, that's a very cheap, potential-laden group.

Uncle Machete

Apr 6, 2004
Mexico City
I think they need to sign one top four D-man to accompany Maatta and Letang. The rest can be filled with Cole and the kids.

At least one top six forward needs to be acquired, obviously. Trade Sutter if that's what it takes. Sort out the bottom six later, but continue on the same path as this season in that regard, meaning signing guys like Comeau and trading for guys like Lappy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with some of the ideas already posted ie:

- Adams... Replace with Rust. Instant improvement.

- Kunitz absolutely needs moved. He can still bring back value, a third or fourth, from a team looking for a solid third liner. Retain 500k if need be. Just move him. He will always find his way back to Crosby as a Pen. It's a sickness in the org no GM or coach has the stones to fix, but it's time. Stop letting him fool you.

- Scuds, just buy him out and play Dumo in his spot. That's still a positive cap savings even with the buyout charge. Dumo is waiver eligible so it is common sense here.

- Martin, let him walk.

- Ehrhoff, same.

- Dupuis needs to be told he can't ever suit up as a Pgh Penguin again. If he is too stubborn, trade him. No reason he should not be a LTIR until his contract runs out.

- BB I really hope they haven't killed his value. I look at a guy like Kassian who is a year older and has his own injury problems, who has worn out his welcome with a second club, and think he has a second round value in a trade. BB should hold the same value and not be moved for less, but I honestly see them botching his trade as bad as the Despres one.

- Sutter... they will re-up him and it's a mistake IMHO. This team had the chance to move a litany of vets when they had max value and they never did. They never had the vision and foresight to make those moves, so I see them making the same mistake with Sutter.

- Lovejoy has a low salary and can be moved, but that puts egg all over the org so they will keep him to save face.

Reality:

I don't expect any big changes. The org will stress the injuries and the need to stay the course (which is what exactly?)

We may see a few minor moves like BB being given away, maybe a Scuds buyout.

Sutter will be signed. Kunitz and Dupuis will be in the lineup on opening night.

Pens will pursue a guy like Panarin, but as usual he will find some other club more appealing. Probably because he will be told he needs to sign a two way deal and won't be promised a prominent role with the big club, which is exactly what you need to do to lure in a heavily pursued FA.

The only way they land Panarin is if they promise him a spot next to Malkin. Anyone see that happening? Ya...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My talking point of the summer is my desire to see the organization kick Brandon Sutter to the curb and replace him with any center who doesn't play like a sissy 82 games a year. JTG:Sutter, Cassius:Staal

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My talking point of the summer is my desire to see the organization kick Brandon Sutter to the curb and replace him with any center who doesn't play like a sissy 82 games a year. JTG:Sutter, Cassius:Staal

This org doesn't see the players the way this board does.

For five years they saw Adams as some key component to this team and it became one of the most bizarre events I ever saw in hockey.

Scuds, Kunitz, Orpik, Lovejoy, etc.

I'm a Sutter guy, but I have a different vision for this team and it includes having a third line that is difficult to play agt.

The Pens see Sutter as a key component and they will re-sign him and eat up salary cap space in the wrong area once again. I know it, and so do you.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I still think a team will trade for Kunitz if we want to move him. 2 time Cup winner coming off a 40 point year, and his salary would be manageable for a non cap team. Christ, Orpik signed a deal for 5.5 mil per, don't tell me someone wouldn't take Kunitz at 3.85 mil.

Scuderi...eh, we may have to bite the bullet and buy him out.

I think we can probably squeeze at least a 2nd round pick out of a team for Kunitz. MAYBE even a late 1st rounder, if anyone is naive enough to bite on it.

Scuderi will be a ***** to move however. I don't see any GM in this league being crazy enough to tie up almost 4 mill in cap space for another 2 years on an over-the-hill bottom pairing guy.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I may be in the minority here, but I don't think the roster is that far off. The most troublesome area is the overall vision of management. In light of that, I don't suspect they'll be able to fill the few holes that we have or make the proper evaluations on the current roster.

With that being said, I feel very strongly that it is finally time to just let the young guys play on defense. It's time to see the payoff from all of the d-hoarding over the years.

Letang
Maatta
Pouliot
Dumoulin
Lovejoy
Cole
Harrington

I agree. This team sorely needs an injection of youth, and NOW is the time to give it that injection. As far as I'm concerned Dumoulin, Pouliot, and perhaps even Harrington are all ready to make the big jump. Cole is still only 25 years old and DEFINITELY worth re-signing in my opinion. Then we have someone like Chorney who looks good enough to fill in a bottom pairing role if need be. Let Ehrhoff and Martin walk, and try your damnedest to move Scuderi and Lovejoy.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Knowing Adams and Scuderi could be gone makes my heart warm.

Adams, Martin, Ehrhoff, and Downie will all be allowed to walk I believe. I can see Lapierre being given a 1-2 year extension, and personally I have no problems with that as he's the ideal 4th line C option in my opinion.

Biggest challenges however will be to move Kuni and Scuds...

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Trade or failing that buyout . . . Kunitz, Scuderi, Lovejoy

Trade . . . Sutter

Consider no raise resign . . . Comeau, Lappy

Let all other UFA's walk no matter the price

Agreed but if they trade or buy-out LJ then they are admitting to a horrendous mistake.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Letang
Maatta
Pouliot
Dumoulin
Lovejoy
Cole
Harrington

Sorry, that blueline can't cut it as a collective unit at the NHL level. The top two guys are significantly injury-prone (and illness-prone at this point). The third guy has great offensive potential, mediocre (at best) defensive potential. The fourth guy looked good (finally) in these playoffs and deserves a shot to play regularly, but is not at all physical enough to make a real difference here. The fifth guy is a complete %$#@-show, and among the worst acquisitions we've ever made. No. 6 was a nice find, but we can't over-utilize him. I'd place him next to Dumoulin or Maatta. Cole adds value because he can play the right side, and he's at least a little bit physical. Lastly, Harrington is a personal fave of mine but the team seems to be souring on him. Hopefully, he can get back in their good graces and take that next step, because we need his defensive ability.

But there's no way you win anything with that group. It's just waaaay too soft, too injury-prone and too bad defensively. We need a strong defensive defenseman who can handle the traffic in front of the net, as well as instantly become our most physical player. And those aren't easy to find.

Suddenly, we have significant issues on the blueline. A couple of injuries and one horrendous deal and now we're here.

Dr Frasier Crane

Oct 16, 2008
Boston, MA
Sorry, that blueline can't cut it as a collective unit at the NHL level. The top two guys are significantly injury-prone (and illness-prone at this point). The third guy has great offensive potential, mediocre (at best) defensive potential. The fourth guy looked good (finally) in these playoffs and deserves a shot to play regularly, but is not at all physical enough to make a real difference here. The fifth guy is a complete %$#@-show, and among the worst acquisitions we've ever made. No. 6 was a nice find, but we can't over-utilize him. I'd place him next to Dumoulin or Maatta. Cole adds value because he can play the right side, and he's at least a little bit physical. Lastly, Harrington is a personal fave of mine but the team seems to be souring on him. Hopefully, he can get back in their good graces and take that next step, because we need his defensive ability.

But there's no way you win anything with that group. It's just waaaay too soft, too injury-prone and too bad defensively. We need a strong defensive defenseman who can handle the traffic in front of the net, as well as instantly become our most physical player. And those aren't easy to find.

Suddenly, we have significant issues on the blueline. A couple of injuries and one horrendous deal and now we're here.

Problem is that we haven't won anything with veteran, expensive d-corps either. Maybe you're right, but we need to find out one way or another. It also allows for us to spend a little more liberally on the top-6.

I really need to change my username.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad