Salary Cap: 2015 offseason roster-building III | FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
It's tough but I'm still looking at the positive side of things. To me, Jim Rutherford has only done one bad thing as this team's GM compared to plenty of the good he has done (in my opinion). I know it's tough to stay positive for a lot of you, when you think about the Despres trade it's maddening and downright depressing.

I don't want Rutherford here long, but he's still here so we'll have to see what he does. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about it, I don't trust him. The only guy I do trust really is Botterill, and I hope he's our next GM sooner, rather than later.

We just have to see what Rutherford's plans are but he hasn't done too bad in his first year, he wasn't great but he wasn't bad. People like to overreact saying he'll turn us into Carolina, we're not even close to that and he won't be here long enough to do that. I like hearing that he admitted the Despres trade was a mistake, that was nice because YOU WOULD THINK he wouldn't publicly come out and admit a mistake, and make a similar mistake down the road.

When JR was hired, he said Botterill would work closely with him and his input would be taken very seriously, I think it's time to give Botterill a huge say in the roster decisions down the road because if the rumors are true about being against adding Spaling and being highly against the Despres trade, then he needs to run this team, it's that simple. I'd be much more comfortable with Botterill running this team than Rutherford and I'm sure many would agree with me.

The ultimate question becomes are JR's actions based on independent thought vs. overriding direction by a meddling and undereducated nuisance! :shakehead

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I understand that Perron was disappointing down the stretch. I was not pleased, either. But he's a legit top six wing and showed as much here before the entire TEAM went into the toilet the last quarter of the season. There are other factors, too. I don't have a ton of confidence about many things in and around this team but Perron rounding back into form next season is something I'm optimistic about.

What is the alternative? Keep the pick and trust our scouting department? No thanks. Perron is a much safer bet.
Perron is also a much safer bet to disappear from this organization really quickly. He struggles again and he´s gone for nothing in 2016. That 1st rounder would be a much better controlled asset.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I know offer sheets rarely happen, but the Penguins should be all over Saad for 5x5. At least make Chicago feel some pain when the match the offer.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I know offer sheets rarely happen, but the Penguins should be all over Saad for 5x5. At least make Chicago feel some pain when the match the offer.

CFYj8u_WAAA_lVh.jpg

It would cost us a 1st and a 3rd, we would go into the 2016 draft with no pick until the 4th round. I would love Saad but this goes against what everyone thinks we should do, build from within.

Pens don't have the picks to make offersheets.

Not this year, I was under the impression that it would cost us 2016 picks since these offer sheets likely don't happen until July 1st.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
CFYj8u_WAAA_lVh.jpg

It would cost us a 1st and a 3rd, we would go into the 2016 draft with no pick until the 4th round. I would love Saad but this goes against what everyone thinks we should do, build from within.

Not this year, I was under the impression that it would cost us 2016 picks since these offer sheets likely don't happen until July 1st.

Didn't realise we still had our 16 3rd Rounder. I imagine Chicago would easily match an offersheet in the 1st and 3rd round range.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pens don't have the picks to make offersheets.

And that's sad.

I would find it okay if we didn't...IF we had something to show for the picks we've traded. Rarely do we "get" anything that we look back on and say "Ah, good value".

The Ducks, Hawks, Lightning...those teams can look back at trades and claim that. We can't.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I'm kind of afraid the Pens will pull off a blockbuster trade for Hall and Yakupov...that will completely decimate whatever talent pool we have right now.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
the thought of a caretaker GM making any blockbuster trade seems so insane as to be unbelievable. surely a brilliant businessman like burkle sees just how badly skewed toward rampant short termism the incentives are here?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm kind of afraid the Pens will pull off a blockbuster trade for Hall and Yakupov...that will completely decimate whatever talent pool we have right now.

As long as it wasn't Sid or Geno, I'd be absolutely fine with that type of blockbuster. A legitimate all-world LWer and an incredibly talented, cost-controlled guy who would thrive with Geno. And they're both young enough to be around for the rest of Sid and Geno's careers.

If we can land Hall + Yakupov for something like Letang++ I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hall - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Yakupov

Good lord... :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Perron is also a much safer bet to disappear from this organization really quickly. He struggles again and he´s gone for nothing in 2016. That 1st rounder would be a much better controlled asset.

I find both things to be unlikely. Both that he struggles again and that, if he does, he's automatically gone for nothing. He sounded motivated to put in the work he was denied last offseason this offseason. I saw plenty from him over a decent stretch with the team this year before the whole roster tanked that screamed "top six wing." Particularly with Sid. I'm just not worried about it, at all. Particularly stacked against the boatload of other problems this team is facing. Though I guess we'll see.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Bennett, Kappy, Sundqvist, Pouliot, Harrington, and 1st 2016 for Hall+Purcell+Ference

I could see it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Probably doesn't want to do all the work involved, hire someone to do it for you but make sure his blockbuster assets are being spent right :laugh:

Probably, but I'm half serious. He would probably build around Sid and Geno at least. Which is all the more headscratching when I really think about it.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The picks for an offer sheet are for next years draft as the FA period starts after this years draft.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
We don't have picks for an offersheet, but can't the Pens just trade for the rights of Saad?

Sure but I think the Hawks will be doing everything in their power to keep him. I imagine Saad would cost us Maatta.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
We don't have picks for an offersheet, but can't the Pens just trade for the rights of Saad?

As has been mention up thread the Penguins have their 2016 1st and 3rd round picks. They can offer sheet a player for between ~3.6 and ~5.4 million per year up to 5 years.

Trading for Saad would take way more than a 1st and a 3rd. If you offer sheet him you get him for fewer assets or you force a contender into a cap crunch.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
As long as it wasn't Sid or Geno, I'd be absolutely fine with that type of blockbuster. A legitimate all-world LWer and an incredibly talented, cost-controlled guy who would thrive with Geno. And they're both young enough to be around for the rest of Sid and Geno's careers.

If we can land Hall + Yakupov for something like Letang++ I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Hall - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Yakupov

Good lord... :laugh:

That's great and all, but we'd have no 3/4 lines or defense lol..which was my point.

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
And that's saad.

I would find it okay if we didn't...IF we had something to show for the picks we've traded. Rarely do we "get" anything that we look back on and say "Ah, good value".

The Ducks, Hawks, Lightning...those teams can look back at trades and claim that. We can't.

Fixt :)

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Would love to get Saad for a 1st and a 3rd.

What's this I see about Yakupov and Hall? Surely Maatta or Letang would be going the other way, right?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens could easily make a trade to get that missing 2nd upping that offer sheet to say 6.5 x 7.

At that point they might just be forced into keeping Sharp.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad