Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building VII - Slightly Used Team For Sale, Need Work Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Drouin-Malkin-Yakupov would be just fine.

Stop this nonsense already, the 1rst you won't get, the 2nd you DON'T wanna get. This is getting tiresome & as much as i like Drouin's potential there's no way in hell we're getting him at this point in time.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Stop this nonsense already, the 1rst you won't get, the 2nd you DON'T wanna get. This is getting tiresome & as much as i like Drouin's potential there's no way in hell we're getting him at this point in time.

Yakupov is going to be an infinitely better option than running Kunitz, Comeau, or Dupuis out there. He would be our second best winger.

Though I would much prefer to try and pry Eberle away or one of the Detroit wingers.

penguins2946*

I honestly don't watch them much, but can he get himself open in shooting lanes?

From what I've seen, no not really. I mean, he'd be a guarantee to produce with Malkin. Putting a player with a shot like his with a playmaker like Malkin would definitely let the player produce. However, at the same point, we should be looking for players who don't just produce because of who they play with. Without a playmaking center, Yakupov is a 30 point player. He can't create offense on his own other than using his speed on the outside sometimes (it sometimes works).

I'm not so sure how much he'd produce here along Malkin, there is a lot of hockey IQ that goes into knowing where to go to be an effective trigger man on a line and I don't think Yakupov has that.

Yakupov is going to be an infinitely better option than running Kunitz, Comeau, or Dupuis out there. He would be our second best winger.

That's not saying much. He's also not even close to being better than Perron.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because he wasn't working out for them? **** happens.

This team has made some very dumb trades the last few years, before him and after him. It feels like someone else's finger prints to me.

More often than not, **** happens to Jim Rutherford. JJ's clearly a good player who JR not only gave up for nothing, he was compelled to eat salary on.

He has always been a ****** GM. This is not a new development. Rutherford trying to distance himself from a stupid move is not out of the ordinary. The guy literally tried to distance himself from every stupid move he made in Carolina in his introductory Pittsburgh press conference. Unless "the unseen hand" has been forcing him to make dumb decisions for the last decade, his problem is a lack of personal competence and accountability, not his environment.

At worst, he has bad ideas about hockey trades and signings. At best, he's regularly convinced to go along with bad ideas about hockey trades and signings. Either way, the bad idea smell follows him around like he fell down in bad idea sewage and rolled around in it.

Last edited:

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I know we want to get younger, but it will be tough to acquire two young top 6 forwards, hell it will be tough to even acquire one but I think we can manage a trade for at least one.

I really think we should try hard to sign Justin Williams, he is no long term solution but the idea is to have him be a stop gap until Kapanen is ready and I think he will be a great fit with Malkin. He also has a history of being a great playoff player. As long as it's 2 or 3 years max, it shouldn't be a problem.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
TRADE-Malkin-Williams
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Winnik-Lapierre-Sundqvist

Williams is two years younger than Kunitz so we'd technically be getting younger, right? :laugh: I just think it's a right move to help our team now and so we don't rush Kapanen. If we acquire two young wingers, we're paying a huge price and we're not leaving much room for Kapanen in the future (unless he's traded in a package for a winger).

penguins2946*

The issue with signing Williams is that he definitely would want a long term deal, and we simply can't afford to give him that due to his age. I really don't want to jump into the UFA market, but if I had to, I'd only want Stafford or Frolik.

penguins2946*

If we really want Drouin,I think we can.

Kris Letang

Trading Letang for Drouin is idiotic and it would in no way fit Tampa's salary structure. That would destroy any chance of them retaining their core.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
The issue with signing Williams is that he definitely would want a long term deal, and we simply can't afford to give him that due to his age. I really don't want to jump into the UFA market, but if I had to, I'd only want Stafford or Frolik.

If he wants a long term deal then we definitely shouldn't be interested. However, if he's willing to sign a 3 year deal, we should sign him. A free top 6 winger who has stayed healthy and makes an impact when it matters most. Then it gives us a reason not to rush Kapanen.

Not sure if I want Stafford, definitely don't want Frolik. If we were looking for a RW for Sid, I would say Stafford but I wouldn't want him or Hornqvist with Mallkin.

Last edited:

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I know that none of us has any idea what Sutter's real value is to the teams around the league, but JR doesn't seem to have a very good track record with getting good value in trades for anyone.

Still, getting him off the team and getting something for him is better than locking him in for 5+mil a year before he's an UFA. That would be far worse.

No way Saad comes here, but can you imagine if JR traded Pouliot, Maatta and Kapanen for him then gave him a 7mil a year contract? that seems like a JR move :cry:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Sutter's trade value is low enough that I'd rather just get 1 full season out of him and let him hit UFA.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I know that none of us has any idea what Sutter's real value is to the teams around the league, but JR doesn't seem to have a very good track record with getting good value in trades for anyone.

Still, getting him off the team and getting something for him is better than locking him in for 5+mil a year before he's an UFA. That would be far worse.

No way Saad comes here, but can you imagine if JR traded Pouliot, Maatta and Kapanen for him then gave him a 7mil a year contract? that seems like a JR move :cry:

JR stated Maatta is part of our core. He only wants to add to that core. I'd be worried about Pouliot for Sharp.

Last edited:

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
I know we want to get younger, but it will be tough to acquire two young top 6 forwards, hell it will be tough to even acquire one but I think we can manage a trade for at least one.

I really think we should try hard to sign Justin Williams, he is no long term solution but the idea is to have him be a stop gap until Kapanen is ready and I think he will be a great fit with Malkin. He also has a history of being a great playoff player. As long as it's 2 or 3 years max, it shouldn't be a problem.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
TRADE-Malkin-Williams
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Winnik-Lapierre-Sundqvist

Williams is two years younger than Kunitz so we'd technically be getting younger, right? :laugh: I just think it's a right move to help our team now and so we don't rush Kapanen. If we acquire two young wingers, we're paying a huge price and we're not leaving much room for Kapanen in the future (unless he's traded in a package for a winger).

Absolutely don't want Spaling centering our third line. Put him on the fourth or trade his ass.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
From what I've seen, no not really. I mean, he'd be a guarantee to produce with Malkin. Putting a player with a shot like his with a playmaker like Malkin would definitely let the player produce. However, at the same point, we should be looking for players who don't just produce because of who they play with. Without a playmaking center, Yakupov is a 30 point player. He can't create offense on his own other than using his speed on the outside sometimes (it sometimes works).

I'm not so sure how much he'd produce here along Malkin, there is a lot of hockey IQ that goes into knowing where to go to be an effective trigger man on a line and I don't think Yakupov has that.

That's not saying much. He's also not even close to being better than Perron.

I'm not saying bringing in Yakupov is the right move. But we need production, and we need it pretty badly. I would be perfectly happy with one of our wing acquisitions providing little beyond production, especially if he's fast.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There are a few factors there. One is that we never gave Despres a real chance and then sold him for pennies on the dollar, obviously. Another is that Bennett and Maatta have had unbelievable strings of bad luck. One more is that those teams (save Chicago) have been less successful than we've been over that period, and consequently have had a lot more (and higher) draft picks than we have.

You can't account for injuries, and to some extent we're a victim of our own regular season success w/r to draft position and always being buyers instead of sellers. The only thing we can change is the opportunities we give our young players, so we never live to see another Despres situation. For me, that's a much bigger concern than the quality of player we're drafting, where I think we're doing well all things considered.

I disagree with the bolded (agree with everything else). There isn't a commandment from the NHL offices that says "if a playoff contender, thou shalt trade 2nd-4th round picks every year for mediocre rentals". I already listed all of Tampa's impact players and how a lot of them were drafted in the 2nd or later rounds.

Many of those were draft choices the Penguins could have made.

I believe the problem is 4 fold:

1. They don't draft enough forwards relative to the number on the roster compared to defensemen.

2. Bad at identifying NHL forwards in the draft (especially in later rounds). Bennett is all they've drafted in 9 years (Kapanen may be number 2).

3. Trading away too many picks at the deadline for mediocre rentals.

4. Not giving the young players they do draft and develop enough opportunity to shine in the NHL and give up on them too quickly.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yakupov gets a bad rep around here. The Oilers horribly mishandled him, but that doesn't take away his skill level. His release is one of the best in the league.

For a team that's hurting for both wingers and youth, I'm not sure why so many here are vehemently against him.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Drouin isn't being traded. 100%. And honestly right now I don't think Yakupov or any of the Oil's big young forwards are getting traded as they'll want to see who gels with McDavid and how things shape up chemistry-wise.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Who's calling the entire 11 year period between then and now great management?

I'm talking about what they've managed to do since Yzerman took over and Guy Boucher was fired. So is everyone else. They identified what was wrong with the roster and filled practically every hole that needed filling with good drafting and shrewd trades/FA signings.

My original post was a reply to this:
Bolts won the Cup with St. Loey and Cavy, their two best players. They decided they were past their prime and got rid of them. Now they are in a good position to win a Cup. Maybe that's not a bad plan that the pens should implement.

That post drew a line between the 2004 Cup win and this year's Cup Final appearance, and was what I've been referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad