Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building VII - Slightly Used Team For Sale, Need Work Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well keep in mind that Yakupov only really started to play well last year because he was paired with Roy and now Roy is out and there's a bunch of new people in charge and he's not going to move up the depth chart because they are all nice folks.

I think it would cost the Pens Dumoulin for Yakupov and that's probably realistic value regardless of idiotic Oilers fans wanting to believe it or not. Dumoulin serves more of a purpose for them than Yakupov does in their bottom 6.

I think it would cost more than that for a former 1st overall, recent struggles or not. Also, Oilers fans don't think Dumoulin would make their AHL team, so...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
More like, "News flash, we call our GM an idiot, but he's clearly not making all of the decisions or has 100% of the power or even 50% of the power and has publicly distanced himself from the Despres trade, etc."

The thing I will fault JR on is the Winnik trade. The Despres one, doesn't look like a JR move at all. I can't recall the last time JR did anything like that with the Hurricanes either.

March 2009 - Williams for O'Sullivan. His most recent "bad" trade where his finger prints were all over it, not like the Pens where the saying "Many hands make light work" is more like "Many hands make Morehouse happy in his circle jerk for power."

Before that is 2008 - Ruutu for Ladd...yikes. But Ruutu did have a lot of potential to be a beast of a player, he had early Beau Bennettitis.

Forgetting for the moment that Rutherford made some godawful big money signings in his latter Carolina years (also a key part of a GM's job), I seem to remember him trading a certain skilled, versatile Finnish forward for a conditional late round pick in 2013, and eating a good chunk of the cap hit in the process.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As for Yakupov, he really heated up after Eakins left. I don't know why the Oilers would trade him now.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I think the take-away from Rutherford's trade history with CAR & PIT is that he is unlikely to get fair value, is willing to overpay, and is more likely to get hosed.

So i am not convinced that Rutherford trying to fix the top 6 through trade is a great plan.

Also no to Pouliot for Yakupov. If Pouliot is traded (likely in a package) a proven top 6 winger or younger, cheaper player with a higher floor needs to come back.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the take-away from Rutherford's trade history with CAR & PIT is that he is unlikely to get fair value, is willing to overpay, and is more likely to get hosed.

So i am not convinced that Rutherford trying to fix the top 6 through trade is a great plan.

Also no to Pouliot for Yakupov. If Pouliot is traded (likely in a package) a proven top 6 winger or younger, cheaper player with a higher floor needs to come back.

Well Yakupov's not old, but he'll probably still make bank because of his draft status.

Someone like Hertl or Burakovsky, maybe. Even then I'm hesitant.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yakupov was drafted 3yrs ago. He's put up 33pts as his career high, this isn't Tyler Seguin that the Oilers would be trading away where he put up 67+ pts in his 2nd year.

Yakupov would benefit from a change of scenery, he's probably the biggest target for that on that team.

Maybe Dumoulin is crap to Oilers fans, Oilers fans are also idiots that thought Staal wasn't good enough to land Hemsky and that the Pens would have to give up more than they did for Perron (I believe a top prospect and the 1st...in the end a plug and a 1st was enough, had the Pens not had cap issues and Letang and Ehrhoff being hurt, they wouldn't have finished as poorly making that 1st sting more).

Pouliot is worth more to me than Yakupov.
At best, maybe Harrington, but realistically, likely Dumoulin and Spaling to get Yakupov and a pick that JR could use (2nd most likely).

That's realistic. Their left side is weak, Yakupov and Spaling are something like 300k apart, Spaling probably serves them better in the bottom 6 than Yakupov. Dumoulin could crack their top 4. They're delusional thinking Dumoulin isn't good enough to crack that blueline.

Their left wing depth...

Hall
Pouliot
Klinkhammer
Gazdic
Joensuu
Hamilton

4 out of 6 are players that belong in the AHL.

Forgetting for the moment that Rutherford made some godawful big money signings in his latter Carolina years (also a key part of a GM's job), I seem to remember him trading a certain skilled, versatile Finnish forward for a conditional late round pick in 2013, and eating a good chunk of the cap hit in the process.

Because he wasn't working out for them? **** happens.

This team has made some very dumb trades the last few years, before him and after him. It feels like someone else's finger prints to me.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
I know im in the minority.....but I would be ok with doing whatever is needed to get Kovalchuk. I would look to sign him and just live with the young d men until next offseason when we have more contracts coming off the books. I think you have to set your self up to win in 2016-17 and even though Kovalchuk is older he makes Geno or Sid better and allows you to bring a younger guy up to learn with him. No way we win a cup next year anyway so just spend this year devoloping and getting ready for when you can add more scoring depth next offseason.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I know im in the minority.....but I would be ok with doing whatever is needed to get Kovalchuk. I would look to sign him and just live with the young d men until next offseason when we have more contracts coming off the books. I think you have to set your self up to win in 2016-17 and even though Kovalchuk is older he makes Geno or Sid better and allows you to bring a younger guy up to learn with him. No way we win a cup next year anyway so just spend this year devoloping and getting ready for when you can add more scoring depth next offseason.

The biggest thing with Kovalchuk, if they even allow him back, would be how much would you be willing to pay a 33 year old Kovalchuk?

From my understanding, he has to sit out one more year and then all 30 GM's would have to agree to let him back. I could be wrong?

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
If Pouliot is off the table for Yakupov, Harrington would be the player I see the Oilers targeting. He's a born leader and Hall's BFF. He'd be a compliment to the young blueline they're trying to build. However I cannot imagine it being 1 for 1. Harrington +...

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
If Pouliot is off the table for Yakupov, Harrington would be the player I see the Oilers targeting. He's a born leader and Hall's BFF. He'd be a compliment to the young blueline they're trying to build. However I cannot imagine it being 1 for 1. Harrington +...

Man that would be fantastic if we could do Harrington+ for Yakupov. He'd be a really great addition to our top 6 and that would not break the bank. We'd still be able to go going on D and have money to pick up a top 6 free agent like Stafford or Stewart. Don't know if they would do it though.

Stafford-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Yakupov

or

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Stewart-Malkin-Yakupov

Those would be pretty solid top 6 units.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't know why people keep wanting to give more youth away.
Especially a guy like DP. Kid has excelled at every level he's ever played at. Chances are he'll be a better D-Man than Yakupov will be a F.

Harrington, sure. But it's gonna cost alot more than Harrington to get Yakupov out of Edmonton and they'll probably want another good young prospect or 1st round pick. I'm not so sure Yakupov is worth that. Guy has been a mediocre pro.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
1rst of all **** Kovalchuk for obvious reasons.

Secundo, Yuk-apov, seriously?

You wanna drag down Malkin in order to set him up? Don't get me wrong on this one, Yuk-apov's production would go up but don't you wanna see Malkin shoot more? It would basically became a lame extension of Malkin's scoring ability to the detriment of Malkin's line. Yuk-apov HAS to be set up, get it?

penguins2946*

Yakupov has Neal's shot and great wheels. That's about it. He'd just be another leech to Malkin that we don't need. The spot that he plays on the PP is already occupied by Crosby and Malkin, and he's a pretty poor ES player due to having an extremely low hockey IQ. We don't even remotely need a player like him.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yakupov has Neal's shot and great wheels. That's about it. He'd just be another leech to Malkin that we don't need. The spot that he plays on the PP is already occupied by Crosby and Malkin, and he's a pretty poor ES player due to having an extremely low hockey IQ. We don't even remotely need a player like him.

Exact!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We could do a lot worse than someone with Neal's shot and wheels. Those are just about the two biggest things we are missing in the top 6.

penguins2946*

We could do a lot worse than someone with Neal's shot and wheels. Those are just about the two biggest things we are missing in the top 6.

But we could also do a lot better than someone with no hockey IQ, mediocre playmaking skills and little physicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad