Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
My point isn't that the Penguins WILL miss the playoffs but that they COULD and they are no longer a lock as presently constructed. Here are the teams in the playoff hunt in the East in my opinion:

Atlantic:

Locks:
Tampa
Montreal

In hunt:
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Florida

Metro:

The only lock I see here is NYR. I'd say Washington and NYI are likely locks but the Metro is pretty even among the next teir.

In hunt:
NYI
Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Philly

From this, I can definitely see a scenario where the Pens finish 5th in the Metro behind NYR, Washington, NYI, and Columbus but miss the 2nd wildcard spot.

I'd say Montreal is closer to being "in hunt" vs. "lock". They are heavily reliant on Price and an injury to him or a period of down play could be devastating to them.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The fear of Y2K leading to disaster was based on questionable assumptions.

The Penguins screwing things up are based on solid precedent.

Maybe people will start coming around when they start coming around? Just a thought.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
My point isn't that the Penguins WILL miss the playoffs but that they COULD and they are no longer a lock as presently constructed. Here are the teams in the playoff hunt in the East in my opinion:

Atlantic:

Locks:
Tampa
Montreal

In hunt:
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Florida

Metro:

The only lock I see here is NYR. I'd say Washington and NYI are likely locks but the Metro is pretty even among the next teir.

In hunt:
NYI
Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Philly

From this, I can definitely see a scenario where the Pens finish 5th in the Metro behind NYR, Washington, NYI, and Columbus but miss the 2nd wildcard spot.

Ron Paul seems to understand the position the team is in, and going by this post, you are putting the cart before the horse. They haven't even made any changes through Fa or trade yet and you are already putting the season as a bust.

They could literally make a couple changes that fit the team well and challenge for the top seed in the Metro, and maybe even win it.

The Pens had things go terribly wrong for them this past season and they still made it. If not for injuries they'd probably finish 2nd/3rd in the whole conference.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
On the other hand, if things hadn't gone horribly wrong for a few other teams as well...

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
I also do not see us making the playoffs next year at this point. This is a below average hockey team that, at this point, looks to continue to get worse.

What do you consider to be average? Below average to me suggests at least being bottom 10 and the Pens would have to destroy their roster to finish bottom 10

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Not that this has anything to do with THIS offseason but... After Rutherford had that situation with Rossi there was this rumor from The Pensblog.

SOURCES: JIM RUTHERFORD WILL BE REMOVED AS GM THIS OFFSEASON

It is believed that Bill Guerin is the lead candidate to fill the spot.

http://thepensblog.com/2015-archive...ord-will-be-removed-as-gm-this-offseason.html

Well that rumor was proven not to be true, however, today Dejan Kovacevic (everyone's favorite reporter here :laugh:) answered a question today about management

nick33: Hi, Dejan … in the coming weeks, do you see any change in the Pens’ awkward front office quad-umvirate? I can’t imagine everyone is happy and willing to keep the status quo for another season.

DK: You know, Nick, Jim Rutherford’s three-headed assistant GM was actually set up to be whittled down, if you’ll recall at the introductory press conference how all concerned talked about Rutherford choosing an eventual successor from the trio. That’s going to lend itself, by nature, to some guys being happier than others, especially those who appear to be in the strongest position.

Of the three — and this is nothing more than my own assessment — I saw a whole lot of Bill Guerin as Rutherford’s right-hand man. They were together everywhere, including on the road. Now, that might well be because Guerin is the man you’d want closest to the big-league roster. Or there could be more to it. I know this much: Guerin is delighted to be doing what he’s doing.

I didn't want to quote the whole piece, but he said Fitzgerald seems fine where he's at. Botterill might be the one who is the most unhappy and DK said wouldn't be surprised if he were to leave at some point, just not this Summer.

So could Rutherford be grooming Bill Guerin for the next GM job just like he did with Ron Francis in Carolina?

penguins2946*

If Guerin is our next GM (the guy who I have a hunch was mostly responsible for the Despres for Lovejoy trade), we're going to be in for a BAD time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Not that this has anything to do with THIS offseason but... After Rutherford had that situation with Rossi there was this rumor from The Pensblog.

SOURCES: JIM RUTHERFORD WILL BE REMOVED AS GM THIS OFFSEASON

http://thepensblog.com/2015-archive...ord-will-be-removed-as-gm-this-offseason.html

Well that rumor was proven not to be true, however, today Dejan Kovacevic (everyone's favorite reporter here :laugh:) answered a question today about management

I didn't want to quote the whole piece, but he said Fitzgerald seems fine where he's at. Botterill might be the one who is the most unhappy and DK said wouldn't be surprised if he were to leave at some point, just not this Summer.

So could Rutherford be grooming Bill Guerin for the next GM job just like he did with Ron Francis in Carolina?

Jeesh..! More Despres amo.

You guys got a long 5/6 years coming.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad