Salary Cap: 2015 Off-season Roster Building IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Soderberg is 6'3 and listed at 216lbs. Put up 44 points in Boston. Playing Kapanen on his right side isn't going to "ruin" his development. Soderberg himself is a good player.

Soderberg would likely want term, which makes no sense for us to give with Sundqvist as close as he is. Soderberg also isn't a good playmaker, so Kapanen wouldn't fit in well with him. I really see no reason to rush Kapanen. Just let him play in WBS until he's ready.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Sundqvist might be good and Soderburg is good, not to mention Sundqvist can play wing if needed.

And as far as Bennett being ruined by playing with bad players. Not really true, Bennett is where he is either due to extreme bad luck or because his various ligaments are made of wet Kleenex (whichever theory you prescribe to). When your potential is a second line wing and you have that may injury setbacks its a miracle he has looked as good as some of the flashes he has shown.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
Soderberg would likely want term, which makes no sense for us to give with Sundqvist as close as he is. Soderberg also isn't a good playmaker, so Kapanen wouldn't fit in well with him. I really see no reason to rush Kapanen. Just let him play in WBS until he's ready.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4805

Soderberg "versatile play making forward".

I'm all for him playing in the AHL. But keep in mind this team lacks secondary scoring. Playing him on the right side of Soderberg isn't going to hurt him. And if he shows that he's ready to play there then why not see how he does.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
Sundqvist might be good and Soderburg is good, not to mention Sundqvist can play wing if needed.

And as far as Bennett being ruined by playing with bad players. Not really true, Bennett is where he is either due to extreme bad luck or because his various ligaments are made of wet Kleenex (whichever theory you prescribe to). When your potential is a second line wing and you have that may injury setbacks its a miracle he has looked as good as some of the flashes he has shown.

Exactly. I'd like to see a Soderberg type player on the 3rd line. He has side and is good. Other teams are playing there young players. So why wouldn't a xxxx-Soderberg-Kappanen line work? Especially if it's capable of putting up offence.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Despres (23) for Lovejoy (31). Adams played 70 games. 2nd and 4th traded for Winnik. Those 3 things don't scream mini rebuild. I think we just need to agree to disagree on definition of mini rebuild and move on.

Of course they don't, but they are not the entire universe of the Pens moves. If you can't broaden your horizons you are stuck where you guys are.

Despres, Lovejoy, Adams, Kunitz, Scuderi and some picks.<----That is the majorities universe.

Some people see past all of that.

I'll agree to disagree.

penguins2946*

Soderberg is going to cost a lot of money and term, something that we really can't afford to give out to a 3C. If he would sign a 1 or 2 year deal, than sure, go ahead, but I really don't see a point with bringing him in long term with Sundqvist being as close as he is right now. It doesn't make sense for a cap crunched team to pay a lot for a 3C when they have internal options available for much cheaper.

There are plenty of reasons Bennett hasn't developed according to plan. Playing with Sutter on the 3rd line instead of in WBS to develop further is definitely one of those reasons.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?4805

Soderberg "versatile play making forward".

I'm all for him playing in the AHL. But keep in mind this team lacks secondary scoring. Playing him on the right side of Soderberg isn't going to hurt him. And if he shows that he's ready to play there then why not see how he does.

I highly disagree with this. He's not ready yet. There's no reason to rush him. I've never been impressed with Soderberg's offensive game in games I watched him, and he also doesn't kill penalties or play as physical as he should with his size. He's probably the best 3C option available, but I wouldn't go after him unless he'd be willing to sign a short term deal. Another team will offer him a lot more and would put us out of his price range.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Without trading any of the core players and without JR pulling off a Whitney/Kunitz or GOGO/Neal type Trade, don't expect any improvement by the pens next year. They are not a playoff team as it stands right now, too many team have caught up to and surpassed them.

No matter what happens, do not under ANY circumstance trade the #1 2016 draft pick since it will be a lottery pick.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Without trading any of the core players and without JR pulling off a Whitney/Kunitz or GOGO/Neal type Trade, don't expect any improvement by the pens next year. They are not a playoff team as it stands right now, too many team have caught up to and surpassed them.

No matter what happens, do not under ANY circumstance trade the #1 2016 draft pick since it will be a lottery pick.

Can we stop with the hyperbole? Barring major injuries, the Penguins are going to make the playoffs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As I said in the other thread, we can't play Kapanen on the 3rd line unless we have a playmaking 3C and Kapanen wouldn't be the primary offensive player on that line. We ruined Bennett by putting him with offensively challenged players and expecting him to carry it. Do Sutter and Bennett for Boedker, Kunitz for anything and then sign Plotnikov or Tikhonov or some other FA to play with Malkin and Perron. Re-sign Comeau and Lapierre, and fill out the bottom-6 with young players (Wilson, Sundqvist and Rust) to complement Comeau, Lapierre, Dupuis and Spaling. End up with something like:

Boedker-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Plotnikov/Tikhonov/other FA
Comeau-Spaling-Dupuis
Wilson-Lapierre-Sundqvist

The glaring hole in that lineup is the 3C spot, I don't think Spaling is good enough for that spot. I don't see a point handing out anything other than a 1 year deal to a FA because of Sundqvist.

I think you let Sunqvist play. If you surround him with Comeau and Dupuis, he would be just fine. Even Spaling and someone else.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
Can we stop with the hyperbole? Barring major injuries, the Penguins are going to make the playoffs.

I also do not see us making the playoffs next year at this point. This is a below average hockey team that, at this point, looks to continue to get worse.

penguins2946*

Just like repeating Lovejoy isn't a NHL caliber D, repeating we're not a playoff team doesn't make it true.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Just like repeating Lovejoy isn't a NHL caliber D, repeating we're not a playoff team doesn't make it true.

so right now, are the pens better than NYI, RAGS, Craps, BJs and they still can't beat Flys. That's reality. And you have the Wings, Bolts, Sens, Habs, Bruins and Panthers. That's reality. Where is the improvement going to come from. Maybe making another LJ and Winnick trade will make the pens cup contenders. Face reality, this team is trending downward and other teams are trending upward.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
It's just rumors that the Coyotes are going to blow themselves up (even more than they have already), and further fuel is added to the fire because Boedker can take a 1 year deal and then leave as an UFA after next year. He's probably not going to be moved, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. He keeps being brought up because he seems like he'd be a perfect match for Sid and Horny.

To clarify, I meant "short term" as in starting the season with Perron-Malkin-Dupuis and hopefully bringing in another guy by the trade deadline.

I think you missed that part of last season when Malkin and Dupuis absolutely stunk together.

I wouldn't. Malkin has had way too many seasons with question marks at his wing. The management team owes Malkin a winger. I really believe they need to find one this summer. I'm not saying that winger has to be a bonafide proven top 6er, but they need to have the talent to become one.

One top 6 wing trade (Boedker, Yak, etc) and one free agent signing (Europe, KHL, Frolik). That would make me happy. Anything short of that and the management team has failed.

Actually, I'd even be okay with Bennett there if they were committed to live through the growing pains. I'm just convinced he is going to be moved so I rarely mention it anymore.

Agreed.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
so right now, are the pens better than NYI, RAGS, Craps, BJs and they still can't beat Flys. That's reality. And you have the Wings, Bolts, Sens, Habs, Bruins and Panthers. That's reality. Where is the improvement going to come from. Maybe making another LJ and Winnick trade will make the pens cup contenders. Face reality, this team is trending downward and other teams are trending upward.

Good job, you can name most of the teams in the eastern conference.

penguins2946*

Yeah, saying Lovejoy isn't an NHL D makes me really doubt you're looking at anything in reality.

The Panthers, Bruins, Blue Jackets (although they're close) and Sens aren't better than the Penguins. The Senators suggestion is laughable, they are in for a massive regression next year. We would have to do literally nothing this offseason and then get bombarded with injuries again next year for those 4 teams to pass us. Even then, none of those 4 managed to pass us this year with us getting murdered with injuries.

If I had to guess, I'd say we would finish 2nd or 3rd in the division next year assuming everything doesn't go terribly wrong.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If I had to guess, I'd say we would finish 2nd or 3rd in the division next year assuming everything doesn't go terribly wrong.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I don't think we're a contender with the top teams, but we are still a ways from being a bad team. Our best players are good enough to keep that from happening if they are healthy.

penguins2946*

Yep, I'd agree with that. I don't think we're a contender with the top teams, but we are still a ways from being a bad team. Our best players are good enough to keep that from happening if they are healthy.

I'm feeling that next year will be a lot like this year before the Pens fell off a cliff, the Rangers will have the top spot locked up and the Caps, Pens and Islanders will be battling for the 2nd and 3rd spot. The doom and gloom in here is largely unjustified, it's not even June yet and people are already giving up on next year.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
So many on this board have their faith in JR, the Committee of Nine, and team ownership to improve this team. Considering their past mistakes, LOL.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Of course they don't, but they are not the entire universe of the Pens moves. If you can't broaden your horizons you are stuck where you guys are.

Despres, Lovejoy, Adams, Kunitz, Scuderi and some picks.<----That is the majorities universe.

Some people see past all of that.

I'll agree to disagree.

Kunitz and Scuderi haven't moved anywhere yet. As it stands right now, it was not a mini rebuild. You can't use the future to justify your argument of management's last year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There's no way to justify last year as any sort of rebuild. We continued to dismantle the future to improve short term. And we didn't even improve in the short term.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm feeling that next year will be a lot like this year before the Pens fell off a cliff, the Rangers will have the top spot locked up and the Caps, Pens and Islanders will be battling for the 2nd and 3rd spot. The doom and gloom in here is largely unjustified, it's not even June yet and people are already giving up on next year.

You need to add Columbus to that list. They had ridiculously bad injury luck. Once they got healthy, they were very good down the stretch. Add in Florida and the wildcard race is going to be tight.

As constructed, this team is not a lock for the playoffs next year.

penguins2946*

So many on this board have their faith in JR, the Committee of Nine, and team ownership to improve this team. Considering their past mistakes, LOL.

They have made a lot more good decisions than mistakes so far. The list of bad moves (Despres trade, Winnik trade) is smaller than the list of good moves (Hornqvist trade, Perron trade, Comeau signing, Lapierre trade, Cole trade)

You need to add Columbus to that list. They had ridiculously bad injury luck. Once they got healthy, they were very good down the stretch. Add in Florida and the wildcard race is going to be tight.

As constructed, this team is not a lock for the playoffs next year.

I have Columbus getting the 2nd wildcard spot. I don't see 8 teams in the East that are better than us, so I don't see us missing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They have made a lot more good decisions than mistakes so far. The list of bad moves (Despres trade, Winnik trade) is smaller than the list of good moves (Hornqvist trade, Perron trade, Comeau signing, Lapierre trade, Cole trade)

The Neal-Hornqvist + Spaling is a wash IMO. I love Hornqvist but I don't think you can qualify it as a good move. It was mediocre value for one of the best snipers in the game. It gave us a very good player, but we paid a big price.

I was pleased with Perron for a 1st, even if the 1st is in a very good draft, so I'll give that a good move.

The Cole trade was good although I liked Bort's size and physicality. Depres trade more than offsets that one for sure.

Comeau was a good value sign but unless they re-sign him for a reasonable deal, it doesn't mean a lot for building a contender. Same thing for Lappy.

Overall, I've been disappointed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I have Columbus getting the 2nd wildcard spot. I don't see 8 teams in the East that are better than us, so I don't see us missing.

My point isn't that the Penguins WILL miss the playoffs but that they COULD and they are no longer a lock as presently constructed. Here are the teams in the playoff hunt in the East in my opinion:

Atlantic:

Locks:
Tampa
Montreal

In hunt:
Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Florida

Metro:

The only lock I see here is NYR. I'd say Washington and NYI are likely locks but the Metro is pretty even among the next teir.

In hunt:
NYI
Washington
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Philly

From this, I can definitely see a scenario where the Pens finish 5th in the Metro behind NYR, Washington, NYI, and Columbus but miss the 2nd wildcard spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad