2015 NHL Offseason Thread II (current news, expansion, trade rumors, free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What is the point of doing that? He will probably age decently well though.

I don't particularly want Sharp. On the decline and $5.9M the next two seasons. But I would sure take him over Matt Read. He would at least be a shooter at LW on the Giroux-Voracek line.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I wouldn't mind. I'd prefer a 33 year old Sharp to a 29 year old Read. I like Read, and I'm sure he's going to bounce back to some degree at least, but two years of Sharp just seems like a better option than three years of Read. I don't think Read is going to be a part of the long-term plan anyway so you might as well get some veteran experience and a guy who can help us be competitive next season.

Sharp-Couturier is a stronger base for a second line than Read-Couturier, too.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I'd make that deal as well. Could be a big upgrade on Giroux or Couturier's line and brings a ton of experience.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I'm a big fan of Read but I'd grace him for Sharp. Sharp would be a great fit with G and V. His experience would also be good for our younger players. If it's close to Sharp for Read and nothing else major, I say pull the trigger.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'd rather Sharp play with Couturier than Giroux and Voracek. We don't need to play around with our top line. It works already and won't be getting that much better. The second and third lines stand to improve much more with upgraded personnel.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd be a big fan of that move. Much more skill, better, more reliable shot. I agree that Read has no long-term plans with the team and Sharp has a year less on his contract I believe. And the flow is spectacular. He and Del Zotto could make an all-hair team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know how to embed these things. Hahaha.

There's a tweet button now on the far right. Click it, then put the number from the end of the tweet's url inside the [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

I added spaces inside the square brackets to make them show up

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'd rather Sharp play with Couturier than Giroux and Voracek. We don't need to play around with our top line. It works already and won't be getting that much better. The second and third lines stand to improve much more with upgraded personnel.

Yeah if you stack a line it actually does more harm than good in today's game. It makes the opposing team's job easier to shut them down as they can put all of their resources out there to do so with the matchup game.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
If this trade were to happen, I think it might be a win-win situation. To me, Read was last year's biggest disappointment, and while Sharp played pretty poorly, as well, he'd definitely improve the current lineup. I also wouldn't play him with Giroux and Voracek, other than maybe in key situations where they're trying to get back into the game. Otherwise, we're going to be a one-line team, and I'd try him with Couturier first.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There's a tweet button now on the far right. Click it, then put the number from the end of the tweet's url inside the [ TWEET] [/TWEET ]

I added spaces inside the square brackets to make them show up

Nice. Thanks.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
It's not bad for Chicago either. Read would fit in very well there and it saves them some money.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah if you stack a line it actually does more harm than good in today's game. It makes the opposing team's job easier to shut them down as they can put all of their resources out there to do so with the matchup game.

Raffl-Couturier-BSchenn/Simmonds could be an awesome line, though. If Sharp has the best shot in the forwards it makes sense to try putting him with the two best passers.

JHG

Jan 8, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Raffl-Couturier-BSchenn/Simmonds could be an awesome line, though. If Sharp has the best shot in the forwards it makes sense to try putting him with the two best passers.

I'm not really seeing as good of a fit there. Couturier, Raffl, & Simmonds all like to cycle the puck in the offensive zone & they're all not guys who are oozing with offensive creativity. Sharp would bring a different element & has more dynamic ability than those guys (but not too much like Voracek does which proved to be a pretty bad fit last year).

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
Well, if Sharp is the Batman, he'll need a good sidekick.

Is it weird that I read 'toque' and pictured Kessel walking around TDot in a chef's hat? Do they not use the term 'beanie' in Canada?
I always thought a toque had the tuft ball or whatever, whereas a beanie didn't.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not really seeing as good of a fit there. I don't think Raffl's a good fit with Couturier as they're similar players. It would be a lot of cycling with not much results offensively. If you throw Simmonds on there you get another player that doesn't have a lot of offensive creativity as well.

You could be right, but at least there would be more options. I don't think Read is a good first line LW option. BSchenn wasn't last year. So if Raffl is hurt or in a funk who plays with G and Jake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad