Speculation: 2015 NHL Entry Draft

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
What are some other names?

Here is a list of names that I wouldn't mind drafting so far that may be available when we pick. I've seen a lot of these guys play but only a few games so small sample size, some of the others are just from scouting reports I've read that I've liked.

Early rounds
Aleksi saarela
Rasmus andersson
Conor garland
Ryan gropp
Matt spencer
Adam musil
Jeremy bracco
Nathan Noel
Nicolas Roy
Jordan greenway
Nikita korostelev
Blake speers

Later rounds
Dominik kahun
Rihards bukarts
Gustaf franzen
Reid gardiner
Vladimir tkachev
Ryan shea
Cameron askew
Georgio estephan
Keoni texiera
Loik levielle
Mitchell Stephens
Ethan bear

Last edited:

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
You never know but I`m pretty sure Kahun wont be an NHL player and is not worth drafting

EDIT: Know he is going to have one of those famous undraftet to star careers

Penguinzilla*

I hate to say it but I hope we draft one of them worthless turds that just got around trying to injure everyone, like Wilson or Rinaldo. We need someone for the other teams to fear

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, everyone hates Wilson, but I'd absolutely love to have the guy on this team. He reminds me a lot of Mike Rupp.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
On the 5th round, pens draft Luke Stevens. Rated #149 on Central Scoutings list. A LW at 6" 4" 192 lbs. From Mass HS and I am 95% sure he is Artie's son. Can't do no worse.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Wilson please. Rinaldo isn't good at hockey.

This, dont compare Wilson to players like Rinaldo. The guy is only 21 and I`m pretty sure he will be a top9 forward at least. However if you dont draft a guy like that in the first round like the Caps did with Wilson you cant expect them to be in the NHL within the next 3 years. Sometimes it feels like in general people think that we can fill our needs through the draft. While this is true in general, you have to give them some time. Especially if you pick late. You wont win a cup in 2016/2017 with your late round picks in 2014/2015

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Every pick should either be 6'3+ and a good skater or highly skilled. Nothing in between.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dunno where Nick Betz from Erie is ranked but he wouldn't be a terrible late round pick.

Got to get a good look at McJesus the last 2 playoff games since both were on Sportsnet in Canada and my Lord, is he good. Another 4 assists tonight, one breakaway miss and more chances on top of that.

Biggest difference i find between Sid at that age and Connor is the size difference. McDavid looks effortless when he's doing all these great things whereas Sid had the same vision but he had to work much harder because of his smaller size.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If they pick another "puck moving defenseman" with their 2nd round pick, Im going to steal a plane and kamikaze it into GMJR's office.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
If they pick another "puck moving defenseman" with their 2nd round pick, Im going to steal a plane and kamikaze it into GMJR's office.

Once they get enough experience they are great:sarcasm:
Kinda funny that our breakout was the weakpoint in this years playoff although we draftet pmd man the last 500 years

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Well... yeah I think they should choose a forward too obviously, but we actually don't have that much depth on defense coming up through the pipeline after Harrington makes it to the NHL.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well... yeah I think they should choose a forward too obviously, but we actually don't have that much depth on defense coming up through the pipeline after Harrington makes it to the NHL.

I'd prefer a right defenseman who can clear the crease area, but at this point I'll take ANYTHING in Round 2.

Because I don't expect us to keep the pick. Too many veterans available, yo.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Its laughable that after all the attention to defense and all the drafting of defensemen that the Pens have done over the past few years, they have very little to show for it. Its still a weakness and a need.

The Pens are at a need for all positions except goal IMO. I'm not even sure if its worth talking about prospects and the draft anymore. The Pens drafting has been terrible and just look at what the teams around the Pens, Caps and Wings, have in place from the past 5 years of drafting.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
I know im biased living in Moncton, but I'd love to see the Pens draft Connor Garland of the Moncton Wildcats. He won the QMJHL scoring title on the Q's #1 team (although they were recently swept by Quebec). He is incredibly skilled, but undersized (similar to Rattie or Petan). He's American born, one positive about him, is he literally grew taller while on the Cats, so he could end up close to 6'0 when its all said and done

Also just had a 7 assist game, setting a franchise record. If Penguins fans are looking for skill, hes ideal, and projected to go in the third

One last thing, ive got to watch Keith Yandle, Ivan Barbashev, Dimitri Jaskin all play here, and hes just as impressive

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Great stuff, Jackpot.

Garland sounds like a nice middle-round option. And since he's tiny, the Pens are probably interested. :)

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
I know im biased living in Moncton, but I'd love to see the Pens draft Connor Garland of the Moncton Wildcats. He won the QMJHL scoring title on the Q's #1 team (although they were recently swept by Quebec). He is incredibly skilled, but undersized (similar to Rattie or Petan). He's American born, one positive about him, is he literally grew taller while on the Cats, so he could end up close to 6'0 when its all said and done

Also just had a 7 assist game, setting a franchise record. If Penguins fans are looking for skill, hes ideal, and projected to go in the third

One last thing, ive got to watch Keith Yandle, Ivan Barbashev, Dimitri Jaskin all play here, and hes just as impressive

I echo everything Jaret said. One thing about Garland is that for a small guy he's not very fast. He's extremely quick and shifty though. In the offensive zone he's tough to steal the puck from.

He's pretty decent on the forecheck for a small guy but his defensive zone coverage could use some work for sure.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
This kid Brandon Carlo of the WHL's Tri-City Americans sounds almost ideal for us in Round 2: 6-5, right-handed defensive defenseman who turns 19 in November, is projected as a shutdown blueliner and can play a physical game.

We could do a LOT worse than add someone like this into the org.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
This kid Brandon Carlo of the WHL's Tri-City Americans sounds almost ideal for us in Round 2: 6-5, right-handed defensive defenseman who turns 19 in November, is projected as a shutdown blueliner and can play a physical game.

Jags, are you seriously advocating the Penguins draft an American defenseman with their top pick? Didn't we just chase a guy out of town with touches and pitchforks for picking guys like that?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Jags are you seriously advocating the Penguins draft an American defenseman with they top pick? Didn't we just chase a guy out of town with touches and pitchforks for picking guys like that?

No, we chased that guy out of town for failing to secure top six wingers, having a bottom six that was disastrous for years, and prioritizing guys like Dupuis, Kunitz, Scuderi, and Adams for multi-year deals as 33+ year olds.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

well, we have thrown away most of our once position of strength defense men. so I could agree with you this yr. but there could be someone who drops. so trying to guess who will be there is a waste of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad