2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread Part 5

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Interesting Grant. It's funny how it's easy to figure out which players should be on the Habs radar. You just confirmed it...

I figure we'll get one of these :

Juulsen
Eriksson Ek
Roslovic
Chabot
Guryanov

I really don't think they'll move down if they are not getting a pick within 27 and 32...I'm sure there will be one of these available. There are always surprises...and it's not gonna be any different this year.

I'm fine with every name on that list.

Of the segment ?

That Roslovic would be our pick but it may very well be the case that we will trade down.

I would love for us to trade down as well.

Geeze, I just realized how much of an idiot I looked like early on in this thread :facepalm:.

My baddd.....

Dude, it's all good. You admit it. We all get a bit hard-headed when our opinions get attacked from multiple sources. It's just good you're not going full MS and ignore every evidence contrary to your opinion.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It's beyond ****ing frustrating that Americans get to watch Bob Mckenzie, Pierre McGuire and Craig Button on NBCSN and us Canadians are stuck with Damian ****ing Cox, John Shannon and ****ing Strombo. Glorious.

The good thing about it is that you don't have McKenzie spoil half the picks before the team even gets to the podium.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I'm fine with every name on that list.

Dude, it's all good. You admit it. We all get a bit hard-headed when our opinions get attacked from multiple sources. It's just good you're not going full MS and ignore every evidence contrary to your opinion.

:laugh:.

Cause the fact is, I am wrong on players sometimes. I was wrong on JDLR :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guryanov.

Let’s go Guryanov then. I will applaud that selection if it happens.

So Ottawa could end up getting a game changing player by moving up thanks to Lehner and Legwand. This is NOT happening…

Last edited by a moderator:

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
So Ottawa could end up getting a game changing player by moving up thanks to Lehner and Legwand. This is NOT happening…

Or they are clearing cap space to go after someone like O'Reilly using their 2 1sts as compensation plus maybe a Gryba? i' m not making a trade proposal just suggesting their 2 1sts could be in play for something bigger.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Ill be watching the draft today but i swear that if they pick anybody close to or under DD's height...well my TV will meet this new brick i got for the occasion.:(

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The good thing about it is that you don't have McKenzie spoil half the picks before the team even gets to the podium.

That's the best part. lol It always kills me how he gets damn near every pick right. Even the ones off the board. I wonder if teams give him a look at their draft lists in the 1st round on the basis of confidentiality or something. He's so good.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That's a LOT to give for Lehner, a guy with under 100 game started in his resume. I can't help but wonder if Tokarski was dangled at all to Buffalo.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Habsfan18 opened up a draft GDT if people want to head over there?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Or they are clearing cap space to go after someone like O'Reilly using their 2 1sts as compensation plus maybe a Gryba? i' m not making a trade proposal just suggesting their 2 1sts could be in play for something bigger.

Bobby Mac has already tweeted that the Sens are in discussions to use their 2 first round picks to move up in the draft. We'll see if anyone bites on that.

If I were them I'd be after one of the D. They're forward group is already pretty strong.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Smooth move by Ottawa. They won't miss Lehrner since they signed O'Connor.

Hope the Habs make a smooth move of their own.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
With Therrien as a coach? No way. He's the type of player who needs to be given a lot of rope to impact the game the way he can, and he'd never get that with Therrien. He's also offense first all the way which is... not Therrien. On top of that, he absolutely hates to relinquish possession of the puck which is... not Therrien.

I couldn't imagine more skill being available down in the mid-20s, but I also couldn't imagine a worse fit for our current coaching philosophy.

I think you just don't get it. It's a process thing. The coach is not ******** as you seems to think. From now, Habs just need to add fire power up front. You draft pure skills when you can. MT will adjust with what he will have on the bench, and also wants more offense. Who would not? Habs show great possession stats during last playoffs. They will score more goals as soon as next season and they are slowly becoming top5 teams in the league for many years to come.
Sprong is a missing high level skill asset in the habs roster. He is a right handed right wing. His favorite nhl team is the Montreal Canadiens. How isnt a perfect fit? What would be your choice?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's a LOT to give for Lehner, a guy with under 100 game started in his resume. I can't help but wonder if Tokarski was dangled at all to Buffalo.

Tokarski is not in the same area code as Lehner in terms of upside. Bigger and better technically.

Smooth move by Ottawa. They won't miss Lehrner since they signed O'Connor.

Hope the Habs make a smooth move of their own.

It's still a college FA, hit and miss. Could blow up in their face like Bishop, though they got a 1st rounder this time. Anderson Hammond and O'Connor all have question marks, Anderson is a proven goalie but getting older and with health issues.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Timmins mentioned it in his interview. Much more likely this happening than moving up or staying put, unless a real steal drops to 26.

Since there is little to choose between the players that will be selected between 26th and 45th overall, this may well be the draft to move down and acquire additional picks for this year's or even next year's draft. Whether we stay at 26th or move down the player I would target is Zach Senyshyn. Senyshyn is a 6' 2" forward with Burakowsky-like skating ability. I watched Senyshyn play in the recent OHL playoff and was extremely impressed with the pace of his game. His skating ability alone will mean he will reach and succeed in the NHL before many of the more talked about draft eligible players in this year's draft. How he is not ranked in the top 20 is a complete mystery to me. But the same happened to Burakowsky and Washington profited from this collective error. If we take Senyshyn at #26, it will be a great draft no matter what else transpires.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If Toronto has a chance to draft Provorov at 4th, Shanahan best jump all over getting him, closest Dman to Bobby Orr I have seen since he retired.:nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
  • This is a really difficult group to rank after Rantanen. I’ve been shuffling this list the whole year and I’m still not sure if I’m 100% happy with it.
  • The ranking is based on my personal preference. In other words, I’m not trying to predict what happens at the draft.

1. RW - Mikko Rantanen (TPS)
    Clear-cut number one among Finns this year. Smart and creative winger with good vision and overall skill level. He’s big, rangy and strong on the puck, it’s hard to contain him. Mature and hard working, already has plenty of pro experience. Somewhat slow start to the season, but improved noticeably after the World Juniors and developed into a pivotal player for his struggling Liiga team. Skating has always been the weak point of his game, but even that is looking much better now and shouldn’t be an issue going forward. Close to NHL ready.

2. D - Markus Nutivaara (Kärpät)
    Didn’t think much of him early on in the season, but his super strong playoffs performance was a real eye opener. This 4th year eligible has a really good head for the game and is a slick skater with good puck moving skills. Not the strongest D in physical aspects of the game, but he’s dependable in all situations, makes very few mistakes and competes well. The Finnish 94-born age group already has a good amount of talent with guys like Teräväinen, Määttä, Ristolainen, Lindell, Pokka and Korpisalo leading the way and Nutivaara is looking to join this party.

3. C/W - Roope Hintz (Ilves)
    Dynamic, fast skating forward plays a rather energetic game. His strong movement is an asset on both sides of the puck. An active checker with pretty good two-way game. Has a quick set of hands and handles the puck rather well. Capable of playing all three forward positions. Scoring upside seems somewhat limited, has a mediocre shot and doesn’t display the best instincts or vision in the offensive zone. Has good size, but his physical presence could be better. Had a good start to the season, but things slowed down a bit after the World Juniors.

4. D - Vili Saarijärvi (Green Bay Gamblers)
    A talented puck moving defenseman. Has good vision and shows plenty of offensive imagination. Handles the puck beautifully and makes nice outlets. Has impressive wheels and all-around mobility, top speed is only good though. Plays with his right hand down and thrives as a PP quarterback. Focused and active defensively, does a rather good job in that area as well. Cleary undersized and gets pushed around, has an undeveloped upper body. Hopefully there’s still some growth left in him, as of now he might be too short to achieve success at NHL level.

5. D - Joni Tuulola (HPK)
    Looked impressive early on in the season, but things went slightly downhill after the first knee injury and then came the 2nd knee injury which ended his season. Not quite sure what to think of him now. This 2nd year eligible reads the play well and shows solid decision making ability. Calm with the puck and distributes it well, plays with poise and shows initiative. His mobility and coordination improved noticeably from last season, but this is still an aspect of the game that requires some work. Has a nice frame that can still get a lot stronger.

6. D - Veeti Vainio (Blues)
    A super smooth and effortless skater with great acceleration. Handles the puck very well and has a nice shot. Has most of the tools you expect to see in an elite puck moving d-man, but his hockey IQ is questionable. Doesn't have a very good understanding of the game, makes many weak decisions and looks downright clueless at times. To make things even worse, he’s soft and his game lacks urgency and effort at times. Interesting to see what happens with him at the draft and even more interesting to see how his career develops after that. He's a true wildcard, but needs to wake up and start learning the winning game to have any kind of a chance.

7. D - Sami Niku (JYP)
    Smooth, mobile puck-moving d-man with a good skill level. Has good puck distribution skills, finds openings and is capable of reacting quickly with crisp, accurate outlets. Plays with poise and is pretty good under pressure. Loves rushing the puck and has moves for dodging forecheckers. Could play a simpler game at times. Not a liability defensively, but there are some inconsistencies in his reads and positioning. Doesn’t have much of a physical presence, needs to get noticeably stronger and show more vigour and attitude in the d-zone.

8. CE - Julius Nättinen (JYP)
    A rather smart centre with good vision and offensive instincts. Overall has good stickhandling ability, but isn't very good in traffic. Exhibits fine touch in his passes and excels on the power play, the added time and space really highlights his strong points. Doesn’t have the quickest feet or much of a separation gear. His game could use more passion, drive and intensity. Has started to play the body occasionally, but his physical play still leaves a lot to be desired of. Played his best hockey with the U18 national team, struggles at times back home in Mestis.

9. LW - Sebastian Aho (Kärpät)
    Smart, undersized winger with good vision and instincts. Handles the puck nicely and is a rather elusive player. Skates well, but his top gear isn't special, for a smaller forward like him it would be beneficial to be a tad faster. Plays an advanced team game for his age. Some seem to think that he has good amount of toughness and determination in his game, but in my opinion he's a quite soft and doesn't like to get his nose dirty that much. A bit of a perimeter guy and not that willing to pay the price. Scored the championship deciding overtime goal during Liiga playoffs.

10. LW - Jonne Tammela (KalPa)
    Smallish winger with a high compete level and drive. Has a quick thought process, doesn’t hesitate and jumps on opportunities. Has fairly good vision and displays set-up capabilities off the rush. Is a dynamic, rather powerful skater. Handles the puck nicely and has some crafty one-on-one moves up his sleeve. His high-flying attitude and strong desire to make a difference sometimes results in him trying to do too much, needs to mature a bit in his reads and decision making. It’s easy to like this player, but I’m not sure if he has the upside or the toolset to become more than a borderline NHL’er at best.

11. GK - Kevin Lankinen (HIFK)
    This 3rd year eligible netminder has taken big strides in his development during the last year or so. The refined technique and improved physique paid dividends as he emerged as a serviceable Liiga keeper during the 2nd half of the season. He had clearly better stats during that timespan than his teammate Ville Husso who was selected in the 4th round last year by the St. Louis Blues. Athletic and quick, but needs to improve his balance and lateral effectiveness is some situations. Occasionally overreacts to developing situations in front of him. Could be ready for AHL in few years time.

12. GK - Veini Vehviläinen (JYP)
    A competitive netminder that reads the play quite well and has solid net coverage for his age. Shows good puck tracking ability and patience, has decent rebound control. Not the most acrobatic netminder, I would like to see a tad more athletic ability, his reactions and feet quickness aren’t special. Not quite as big as many of the emerging young NHL goalies at present. Had pretty good stats playing against men in Mestis, but that doesn’t mean that he didn’t allow quite a few soft goals there. Was good at the World U18 Championships, but overall his international play was highly inconsistent.

13. CE - Aleksi Saarela (Ässät)
    The former junior star hasn’t lived up to the early expectations, very little development lately. Generates good speed on the open ice, has a good head for the game and knows how to shoot the puck, but struggled to create much offence in a more tightly checked environment of Liiga. Looked quite timid with his involvement and was surprisingly weak in battles considering his strong built and advanced physique. For a shorter player he doesn't show a great deal of agility or manoeuvrability in tight spaces, and often struggled to find that extra bit of time to do something truly productive. Durability is a big concern, prone to injuries and has already suffered several concussions.

14. D - Niko Mikkola (KalPa)
    A huge frame and a development curve that’s been pointing strongly upwards for the last year or so. These are some of the main reasons why someone might use a late-round flyer on this 2nd year eligible. Not the greatest hockey mind and his puck skills aren’t anything special either, but he does show some promise nonetheless, especially on the defensive side of things. Competitive, well involved with the action and displays willingness to battle. Has good physical presence for a guy who’s not much more than a string bean at this point.

15. GK - Sami Väliharju (Kärpät)
    A late bloomer and an unexpected surprise, I doubt anyone knew about this 2nd year eligible before the season started. A long term project that’s rough around the edges, but the basic building blocks are there, he moves well and has a big frame. He’s working with the same goalie coach that helped Pekka Rinne and Niklas Bäckström before their move to North America, so that should improve the chances of seeing some results down the line.

My sleeper pick: GK - Markus Ruusu (JYP)
    Only saw him play in the Finnish U18 league where the level of competition isn’t that high, so wasn’t comfortable including him to the actual ranking. That said, I was impressed by his determination and ability to stop the puck. He made numerous great saves and stopped several breakaways and odd-man rushes. Has the size that’s in high demand right now and could work out as a long term project. At least it’s worth checking out how his game develops next season.

An early outlook on the 2016 NHL Draft:
    By Finnish standards this draft class has good top talent in Jesse Puljujärvi, Olli Juolevi, Patrik Laine and Markus Niemeläinen, but the depth is questionable. Not that much to talk about after these four.

An early outlook on the 2017 NHL Draft:
    It’s too early to say anything definite, but from the looks of it this could develop into a draft lead by defensemen. Guys like Juuso Välimäki, Nuutti Viitasalo, Urho Vaakanainen, Henri Jokiharju and Robin Salo are showing some promise in the early going.

• Our free online draft guide is here... with 42 scouting reports and counting (1 article every day).
    http://lastwordonsports.com/2015-nhl-draft-headquarters/

Thanks for all the info.

Been meaning to post since I got home from some travels, finally remembered.

Our 2015 NHL Draft Black Book is coming along nicely. To simplify it's ahead of last season. all our 2015 profiles are in for WHL, QMJHL and OHL prospects. We are making good progress on the 2016's and 2017's on these as well.

Still finishing up the Euros, USHL/ High School/NCAA for 2015, 2016 & 2017 but we are ahead of last years progress on all of them.

The 2015 NHL Draft Black Book will pretty much resemble previous versions as far as format goes. I had a good year of travel and adding some new scouts in Europe this season lead me to believe this will be our best Black Book yet. Both myself and our scout based in Switzerland both attended the U18 this year. I was there a week and Mich was there from pre-tourney games thru the gold medal. It was nice having an extra scout there this year to split up for some games.

I'll chime in with progress reports and possible release date best guess when I can.

I booked my trip to the Memorial Cup weeks ago but I'm seriously considering cancelling my hotel. Not much in the way of prospects in the tourney this year and I don't really need to see the ones that will be there. Regardless of what I decide, our scout Jerome Berube will be attending fore sure.

Hope everyone enjoyed the season.

The Black Book gets my endorsement.

If Provorov was close to Bobby Orr.. he'd be going 1st overall..

LSD... what a drug.

Stop taking so much of it and grow up, Mr. Belittle.:nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad