2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread Part 5

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Not that I am an expert or anything, but I think we might end up regretting passing on Jeremy Bracco. All this talk about his size is nonsense, kid is a top 10 talent.

Also with our 3rd rounder, my pick would be David Cotton. Big, strong center. Protects the puck extremely well (which is something we seriously lack). His offensive potential is hard to say but I see 2nd line C.

Top ten talent? Let's slow down on the hyperbole just a bit. So he's more talented than Konency..ranked 14th overall. He's more talented than Chabot, Kylington, Merkley, Svechnikov, Guryanov...etc., etc. Hell even add Sprong to that group.

Why was with "top ten talent" on USNTDP's 2nd and third lines all season?

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Top ten talent? Let's slow down on the hyperbole just a bit. So he's more talented than Konency..ranked 14th overall. He's more talented than Chabot, Kylington, Merkley, Svechnikov, Guryanov...etc., etc. Hell even add Sprong to that group.

Booth vs Montembeault. Who's better?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
You do not pick a guy based on the coach...

And you don't say someone's a "perfect fit" when they're not, for fairly obvious reasons. Doesn't make him a bad player or pick, just a bad fit as it stands right now. Would love for that not to matter (i.e. bye bye Therrien), but it is what it is. Sprong's strengths just happen to be among the first things Therrien tries to break young players from turning into habit (choosing to make an extra play instead of the safe dump, heading east/west until something opens up north, taking it upon one's self to "skill" the puck up ice individually on nights when linemates seem a bit cold, etc, etc).

Maybe, we could trade down acouple of slots, pick him and add a late round pick?

Trading down from 26 probably gets you out of Roslovic territory, believe it or not. He'll go annoyingly close like 24th or something, you watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And you don't say someone's a "perfect fit" when they're not, for fairly obvious reasons. Doesn't make him a bad player or pick, just a bad fit as it stands right now. Would love for that not to matter (i.e. bye bye Therrien), but it is what it is. Sprong's strengths just happen to be among the first things Therrien tries to break young players from turning into habit (choosing to make an extra play instead of the safe dump, heading east/west until something opens up north, taking it upon one's self to "skill" the puck up ice individually on nights when linemates seem a bit cold, etc, etc).

This team needs scoring. And this team needs to have an identity of skilled and fast. We have the best goalie in the world that just won 4 trophies and yet, we haven't been able to reach the 3rd frekain round. We then need something else we don't have. And if it can't work, the coach will be booted out and we will find a coach that will blend well with what we have in hand.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Buffalo just traded 21 overall for Lehner and Legwand.

Lehner is not that good of a goalie. Legwand is a cap dump by the Sens.

That's a good trade for them. They get rid of a goalie they don't need, and move salary. They'll get a nice young player at 21 too. Now, that's player management. Bloody Sens.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

He was on the second line because of a guy named Auston Matthews. And yes, I honestly think he's more talented than these guys.

We will see in a few years I guess.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

That's a good trade for them. They get rid of a goalie they don't need, and move salary. They'll get a nice young player at 21 too. Now, that's player management. Bloody Sens.

I think he was their best goalie, Burgler was a flash in a pan, Anderson is unpredictable and getting old. They will regret it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Lehner can be as good or better than Bishop, needs to mature though.

Goalies take time.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Feeling that the fun will be all around us....but not for us. :(

What a trade by the Sens. And Talbot might remove one of the possibilities for us to move down by taking 2 2nd rounders....

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I will be discussing the Habs and what might happen at the draft on TSN 690 in 5 mins.

I hope to hear "The Habs will never ever ever touch Bittner or Carlo in ths draft"

Feeling that the fun will be all around us....but not for us. :(

What a trade by the Sens. And Talbot might remove one of the possibilities for us to move down by taking 2 2nd rounders....

Not necessarily.. the Rangers could actually be better because they might want a 1st rounder.. They don't have one.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I would not worry about the issue of certain types of players meshing with Therrien or not. They are not going to make the big team anytime soon, and I can't see this coach staying till the end of his contract, which is roughly the timeline for these guys' NHL entry. I also think that at some point MB will clue in that the coaching in both the AHL team and the big team is antiquated, and hire a few strategists not wedded to pure North-South dump-and-chase.

I think he was their best goalie, Burgler was a flash in a pan, Anderson is unpredictable and getting old. They will regret it.

Anderson was/is their best goalie. He just got injured, which is an issue with him. Lehner is unpredictable, but he is young, so there's that. Burglar is a flash in the pan, I definitely agree there. Sens might be in trouble if Anderson gets hurt again.

In 3 years, it could swing in Buffalo's favour, like the Bishop trade did with TB. But, I'm not a big fan of Lehner. He's pretty mediocre.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Curious for some info on a few forwards. I'm one of those guys who has never seen any of these prospects play, but I was curious about comparing goals/gm to overall draft ranking (forwards only). In Craig Button's top 100, there are 65 forwards. Ranked by goals/gm, there are some guys who really jump up the board. Would love to hear thoughts on these guys - assuming they have some sort of knock against each one (size, speed, etc.) or else they would be more highly touted?

NAME (G/GM)
Anthony Richard (0.65)
Gabriel Gagne (0.52)
Filip Ahl (0.59)
Ryan Gropp (0.45)
Tyler Soy (0.41)
Giorgio Estephan (0.36)
Andrew Mangiapane (0.63)
Dennis Yan (0.56)

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Love your segment Grant !

Still not a huge fan of Roslovic but I really liked the fact that you said that a good scout can change his mind.

I should heed your advice. Il be eating crow...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Samsonov? Why not. That would make up for the lack of fun we will have during this draft....:laugh:

Listened to the segment..but just missed the last tidbit...who did Grant said that he might very well be the most talented player?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I will be discussing the Habs and what might happen at the draft on TSN 690 in 5 mins.

In Florida listening to your interview with Marinaro...awesome stuff, you really do know your stuff, you sound like a good lad, but stop saying "You Know"..lol...keep up the good work and glad you're on here sharing your professional and creditable views!...

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Interesting Grant. It's funny how it's easy to figure out which players should be on the Habs radar. You just confirmed it...

I figure we'll get one of these :

Juulsen
Eriksson Ek
Roslovic
Chabot
Guryanov

I really don't think they'll move down if they are not getting a pick within 27 and 32...I'm sure there will be one of these available. There are always surprises...and it's not gonna be any different this year.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Anything of particular highlight?

Of the segment ?

That Roslovic would be our pick but it may very well be the case that we will trade down.

I would love for us to trade down as well.

Geeze, I just realized how much of an idiot I looked like early on in this thread :facepalm:.

My baddd.....

Samsonov? Why not. That would make up for the lack of fun we will have during this draft....:laugh:

Listened to the segment..but just missed the last tidbit...who did Grant said that he might very well be the most talented player?

Guryanov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad