2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread Part 5

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
What's the knock on DeBrusk?

Assuming Chucky moves to C he looks like the player we need the most of anyone in our range short term - we aren't getting a #1C at 26, RW and RHD are covered on the roster/system and we have 2 way Cs coming out the wazoo

If a great LHD fell to us maybe but we need someone to put the puck in the net more than anything IMO

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i like Fischer, low risk pick with pretty good upside. hes got some grit to his game and hes pesty, also has the tools to become a top 6 player, worst case scenario he'll be a serviceable bottom 6 player. i have him going midd 2nd.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
i like Fischer, low risk pick with pretty good upside. hes got some grit to his game and hes pesty, also has the tools to become a top 6 player, worst case scenario he'll be a serviceable bottom 6 player. i have him going midd 2nd.

Il really hope we Get a second round pick.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I'm sorry WTK, but if you really want to go sexy, you go the Beauvilliers way, not Tomas Novak... Not many draft eligible prospects from the CHL outscored him this year, and he did that while shutdowning the team's top line...

I have to go back to studying, but off the top of my head, here are the players that outscored Beauvillier: Marner, McDavid and Strome.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm sorry WTK, but if you really want to go sexy, you go the Beauvilliers way, not Tomas Novak... Not many draft eligible prospects from the CHL outscored him this year, and he did that while shutdowning the team's top line...

I have to go back to studying, but off the top of my head, here are the players that outscored Beauvillier: Marner, McDavid and Strome.

beauvillier doesnt have the frame Novak has

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
beauvillier doesnt have the frame Novak has

Two inches. Beauvillier would have destroyed the USHL, while Novak barely cracked the PPG. I know the draft is a projecting game, but man, it's not even close in terms of offensive output. At some point you have to go with what the players have displayed, especially when the difference is that big.

I'm curious to hear why he wasn't with the USNDT too. He did play a couple of games at 16 and was on the U17 team for the U17 tournament. Was it because he didn't want to play there or because he wasn't good enough?

In my book, there's no comparison to be made between Beauvillier and Novak. Beauvillier by a good margin.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013

I agree, if Beauvillier is available you take him and run IMHO, I don't think he'll slip past the 1st round and he's the real deal, very few red flags with him. I know some people who have worked @Antoine-Girouard (AB's Midget AAA club) with him and they cant say enough good things about this kid.

Even if Roy's available I'd rather go Beauvillier and it's not about needs, I'm just much more convinced with the former, some people claim Roy to be the next Letang but these two's skating level isn't even close, technically maybe but Roy's explosion will never even come close to Letang's and I don't think Letang would be anywhere as good if it wasn't for his first couple steps that are probably top 10 in the world. I've been on the ice with both and I would not call Roy's skating effortless ala KL. Letang's fitness is also very hard to match, he's strong as a bull and I'm not sure Roy will ever be on his level physically. I also have my doubts about Roy's personal environment, is it toxic? Maybe not right now as he's always had it easy based on talent alone but if he struggles at any point in the next couple years I think it could become a concern.

Trading down for Beauvillier is risky if he's our guy, unless TT knows things we don't which is a strong possibility. I just feel like Beauvillier is one of those guys that we'll look at in a couple years and go: "How the hell did he last all the way to 26 when he put up 90+ points and something like 30 pts over the 2nd scorer on his team in his draft year." Kinda like the Giroux pick, no they are not similar as someone suggested earlier but what if.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Thing is.. if we are to believe Grant.. I don't think we end up with Beauvillier or Novak.

It'd probably be Roslovic or Juulsen. Potentially a trade down scenario where we end up with J-FK and Brisebois.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
My top 5 in no order

J.Roy
Boeser
Carlo
Beauvillier
DeBrusk

Huge pass on Carlo.

He is Tinner 2.0.

Much better D-men out there this year.

Thing is.. if we are to believe Grant.. I don't think we end up with Beauvillier or Novak.

It'd probably be Roslovic or Juulsen. Potentially a trade down scenario where we end up with J-FK and Brisebois.

You already know what I think about Roslovic... :laugh:

But I would be happy with Juulsen.

He is IMO flying under the radar and would be a very solid pick. I do have the feeling though that like last year there will be a guy that slips and we can't believe is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

He's not the guy I saw play the most, outside of the U18, so I'm really wondering : What's the real beef with Beauvillier then, so to speak ? Because he's definitely not being talked about like he's part of the ''elite'' group by the various publications and scouts , if we are to believe the Bobby Mac list. It can't be ALL size since there are smaller players than him ranked higher. He produced big numbers but is his offensive game projectable to the next level ? There is a long standing perception that the numbers do get a bit ''inflated'' in the Q after all. His skating looked fine to me in my viewings but is there any concerns there ? There as to be an explanation for him to possibly end up in the second round.
As far as projecting his numbers if he were in the USHL there's no way to really know I guess. It's a defense first, tight checking league where an 80 points season is considered exceptional.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Maybe Edmonton is a good fit if the Habs want to trade down.

If Samsonov, the number one goalie prospect in the draft, is available at 26, the Oilers might want to move up 7 spots to nab him. This presupposes that the Oilers are not so interested in him that they use their 16th on him. The kid could turn out to be a franchise goalie.

The trade would be:

To Montreal

33rd and 57th overall (2015)

To Edmonton

26th overall (2015)
4th rounder (2016)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
i like Roslovic, ive had him in my 1st round (#26) for a while now. im just saying if people wanna make the argument that Bittner played with star players (which is a valid one) well then the same could be said about Roslovic. but yes Roslovic did produce nicely an he showed that he could keep up with high level players, on top of that hes a solid all around player.

edit: I'm so excited for 2016, i really wanna see where a guy like Sokolov ends up going. Kale Clague, Dante Fabbro are high end Dmen who dont get talked about alot, they're both in my top 10 right now.

Krys, Tkachuk, Matthews, Keller, Chychrun, Jones.... really isnt fair. Does anyone have their 2016 top 5 figured out?

1) Matthews
2) Chychrun
3) Puljujarvi
4) Tkachuk
5) Tyson Jost

I'm all in for Keifer Bellows(C)6'0 / 190 lbs. and the bloodlines don't get better than his dad Brian Bellows that helped deliver the 24th Stanley Cup.:handclap::handclap::handclap: That's 2016, Roslovic could very well be a great pick @ 26th, but as always in his 2015 Entry Draft the player I want the Habs to move up for is Kyle Connor(C/LW) really worth the price to move up into the 10-15 area IMHO, Columbus will no doubt be after him.

Last edited:

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Maybe Edmonton is a good fit if the Habs want to trade down.

If Samsonov, the number one goalie prospect in the draft, is available at 26, the Oilers might want to move up 7 spots to nab him. This presupposes that the Oilers are not so interested in him that they use their 16th on him. The kid could turn out to be a franchise goalie.

The trade would be:
To Montreal
33rd and 57th overall (2015)

To Edmonton
26th overall (2015)
4th rounder (2016)

For me, our first (26th) vs 33rd and the 57th. If you want to trade up, you have to give. I would forget the 4th rounder (2006).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
heres a draft value chart, im hoping this thread lasts till draft day

1zvkBa3.png

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I value Grant's opinion, but I'm not sure I get any warm, fuzzy feelings about Roslovic. I wasn't hugely impressed when I watched him play with US U18s, I don't like how his stats reflect his upside or ability, and online sources aren't exactly excited about him. I see a complimentary player with no real outstanding physical skills or abilities. He's smart, but he's not dominating games because of his intelligence. He's good, but I don't see him as a first round pick and I don't think he's the best option for the Habs. There are too many good players in the early second for me to want to take Roslovic.

What am I missing that everyone else likes?

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
I value Grant's opinion, but I'm not sure I get any warm, fuzzy feelings about Roslovic. I wasn't hugely impressed when I watched him play with US U18s, I don't like how his stats reflect his upside or ability, and online sources aren't exactly excited about him. I see a complimentary player with no real outstanding physical skills or abilities. He's smart, but he's not dominating games because of his intelligence. He's good, but I don't see him as a first round pick and I don't think he's the best option for the Habs. There are too many good players in the early second for me to want to take Roslovic.

Not just Grant, Mackenzie has him ranked at #34, so not a reach to be taken at #26.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

I think people like his well rounded 2 way game.

What make me question Roslovic is his low ceiling when it comes to offence.

It is hard to see IMO where the offence really is especially playing in the National Development team. It will be more clear when he goes to college. + I know I was strong on Bittner but I have thought about it the last few days and his lack of scoring for a guy who is older in the CHL is actually a little concerning.

I was wrong on Miller and Larkin. Same type of guys. Miller is in the NHL and Larkin tore up the NCAA. He is IMO a PERFECT second round pick for a team that has multiple picks in the top 60. I am not sure I am comfortable in getting a guy who's ceiling is a 2nd line player.

Spinorama2

Aug 27, 2013

FWIW...here are some reports

EOTP

Roslovic made a name for himself with his play during international tournaments, most notably his production during the U18 World Junior Tournament, which saw him score six goals and add five assists, for eleven points in seven games.

He finished fourth in scoring among all U.S. National U18 team players this season, behind a pair of top prospects available for the 2016 draft; Austin Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk, as well as the diminutive scoring machine Jeremy Bracco. He finished ahead of potential 2015 first-round targets like Colin White and Jordan Greenway.

Roslovic isn't getting much attention from scouts and pundits ahead of the entry draft, and there's a somewhat understandable reason why; he played alongside Matthews and Tkachuk for the majority of the season. There's some concern that his production is complimentary, rather than having the ability to create scoring chances on his own. That being said, the fact of the matter is that Roslovic has done a great job at creating offense at every level, mostly thanks to his high-end playmaking skills, his great vision, and deceptive speed.

McKeen's

Thrived on the top line ably complementing 2016 eligible phenom’s Matthew Tkachuk and Auston Matthews. Excelled internationally competing with the elite in his peer group. A slippery, instinctive playmaker who sees openings and makes sharp passes through a maze of players. Extremely skilled at creating puck movement with his stickhandling - and then deftly dishing off a play on his backhand. A clever winger who plays an effective supportive offensive role getting into good shooting lanes but often looking to pass first - understanding that he will get it back. Superb pivoting and transitions while moving that support his body positioning to receive passes. A gifted skater with great outside speed, whose appearance is slightly awkward with unique skating mechanics and foundation

Future Considerations

This center is one of the smartest players available in the 2015 draft. His hockey sense is off the charts–he is able to make the right, safe plays quickly. Fast feet help Roslovic accelerate quickly and build up a head of steam as he drives down the ice with an eye on the net. He seems to slow a bit in turns, but is nonetheless an agile player who can act like a bar of wet soap in defensive coverage. A relatively safe and smart player, he showed flashes of very good stick skills and is an offensive weapon off the rush with his vision, creativity and playmaking skills. He has a very deceptive shot: extremely quick and heavy relative to his size. He has been relied on as the team’s top defensive center playing against the U18’s squad’s top opposition.

Hockey Prospect

"He was the USHL’s big riser in the second half this year. He struggles at times inside the dots but when I look at the flaws in his game compared to some other players we had in his grouping, he rated out well head to head. I liked him a lot in my late season viewings. I thought he had a strong U18." – Mark Edwards

Rankings seem to go anywhere from 24 to 34.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad