Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | McKenzie's Final Ranking Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
33% of the league's starting goalies were 1st round picks.
20% were 2nd rounders
20% were 3rd rounders

Nearly 3/4 of the league's starting netminders came from the first 3 rounds of the draft, with the majority of them being 1st rounders. This data also doesn't account for highly rated goalies currently in backup positions (Vasilevsky, Gibson, Lehner, and to some degree, Markstrom)

I almost always prefer to wait until later in the draft to take a goalie, but just because it's my personal bias, it doesn't make it a bad idea to take them early.

leafsrock67

Tank Nation Member
Mar 25, 2014
Hi. Leafs fan here. I know that the Oilers need defenseman specifically RD, and Roy will probably be available, but I think a bigger need is goaltender. Ilya Samsonov's stock has been rising recently, and he looks like he can be a franchise goaltender. I know that there is the Russian factor, but do you think that the Oilers might take him at 16? It seems like this could be one of their best chances to get one because they have 3 top 40 picks. (Maybe Yakupov will talk to him in Russian about coming to Edmonton :sarcasm:)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hi. Leafs fan here. I know that the Oilers need defenseman specifically RD, and Roy will probably be available, but I think a bigger need is goaltender. Ilya Samsonov's stock has been rising recently, and he looks like he can be a franchise goaltender. I know that there is the Russian factor, but do you think that the Oilers might take him at 16? It seems like this could be one of their best chances to get one because they have 3 top 40 picks. (Maybe Yakupov will talk to him in Russian about coming to Edmonton :sarcasm:)

It seems more likely that we will try to draft a goalie with our 2nd rounder (33rd overall). Samsonov would be #1 target but we would be happy with Blackwood as well. There's a couple other interesting goalie prospects too, and history says not to draft a goalie too early.

If we are really high on Samsonov and want to be sure to get him, my favorite option would be to trade down from 16 to somewhere in the mid-to-high 20s for Samsonov (or maybe trade up from 33 to that range, but that might be harder to do)

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

As we've been discussing over the last few pages, most of us would stay away from taking a goalie in the first round.

As someone pointed out, there's really no need to burn a high pick like that on a goalie prospect when you can get established goalies on the market for a heckuva lot less.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

I don't think the Oilers are worried about any Russian factor, so I can't see that deterring them. Whether or not they feel he's worth taking with the #16 pick is anybody's guess. I'd rather they waited until MTL's 2nd and take whoever is left of Samsonov, Tomek, or Vladar. Hopefully Blackwood goes to some other team early on. Not only because I don't care much for him, but it increases the odds of one of those 3 being available late.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
3 years? That might hurt his draft value

I thought he was signed for another 2.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
3 years? That might hurt his draft value

I thought he was signed for another 2.

That's how long he's(Samsonov) still signed? Looks fine to me, still plenty of years to develop him at the pro level in Europe, have him at 21 years old ready to come take an AHL job or more.

Frankly nothing not to like there.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That's how long he's(Samsonov) still signed? Looks fine to me, still plenty of years to develop him at the pro level in Europe, have him at 21 years old ready to come take an AHL job or more.

Frankly nothing not to like there.

Until Russia passes that law keeping their players in the country until they are 28 of course.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to trade from 33 into the first round if Samsonov was still available at around 25th-30. I think Tampa Bay has two first round picks one at 28th from the Rangers and another at 29 or 30th depending if they win the cup or not.

Maybe we can throw in that 57th overall pick to move up to 28 and grab Samsonov before he gets taken 32nd overall like when Fucale got taken just before our pick lol.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to trade from 33 into the first round if Samsonov was still available at around 25th-30. I think Tampa Bay has two first round picks one at 28th from the Rangers and another at 29 or 30th depending if they win the cup or not.

Maybe we can throw in that 57th overall pick to move up to 28 and grab Samsonov before he gets taken 32nd overall like when Fucale got taken just before our pick lol.

Darn we missed out on Fucale :facepalm:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Keep the second rounder and use it to trade for a goalie in the NHL already.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Another "franchise goalie" drafted high that sucks. Rather him over Rpy but both don't deserve elc

Fucale deserves a shot at the AHL but in his draft season I remember thinking how underwhelming him numbers were on a stacked team with Mackinnon, Frk, Drouin etc etc.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
That's exactly why guys like Timashov will be steals in the 3rd round and guys like Dzierkals of Anthony Richard will be steals in the 4th/5th.

They all have their faults (mostly size) but at the end of the day they can score at an elite level.

Right. And to me, 95% of these prospects are more or less the same. It's skill that's the difference for that last 5% and I think teams focus too much on size.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
33% of the league's starting goalies were 1st round picks.
20% were 2nd rounders
20% were 3rd rounders

Nearly 3/4 of the league's starting netminders came from the first 3 rounds of the draft, with the majority of them being 1st rounders. This data also doesn't account for highly rated goalies currently in backup positions (Vasilevsky, Gibson, Lehner, and to some degree, Markstrom)

I almost always prefer to wait until later in the draft to take a goalie, but just because it's my personal bias, it doesn't make it a bad idea to take them early.

Good post. If you look at those stats it lines up with how I feel. To address the issue we now need to spend larger currancy on goaltending because we failed to draft the in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the past. Drafting goalies isn't sexy but it's a nessecary evil. I want to see us have a great young up and coming goalie in the organization. It's been a long time.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
I'd rather take a flyer on Vladar then get Samsonov at 16. To much talent in this draft to draft a goalie in the first round. If Samsonov falls to 33rd defiantly draft him but if not hopefully Vladar falls to 58th. Not sold on Blackwood at all.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With guys like Hellebuyck and Stolarz coming out of the NAHL, it might be worth gambling on a goalie in the late rounds from there.

There's a few '97 born guys from that league that look interesting.

Matt Jurusik - 6'1'' 194lbs - Absolutely lit the league on fire. 1.57GAA and .939SV%.

Matej Tomek - 6'3'' 180lbs - #5 ranked NA goalie by CSS. 1.83GAA and .928SV%.

Evan Smith - 6'6'' 174lbs - Started in the WHL, but moved to the NAHL. 1.73GAA and .923SV%.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
With guys like Hellebuyck and Stolarz coming out of the NAHL, it might be worth gambling on a goalie in the late rounds from there.

There's a few '97 born guys from that league that look interesting.

Matt Jurusik - 6'1'' 194lbs - Absolutely lit the league on fire. 1.57GAA and .939SV%.

Matej Tomek - 6'3'' 180lbs - #5 ranked NA goalie by CSS. 1.83GAA and .928SV%.

Evan Smith - 6'6'' 174lbs - Started in the WHL, but moved to the NAHL. 1.73GAA and .923SV%.

Yup, I recently noticed this trend too. Many goalies seem to come from NAHL or even high school teams. Obviously I like Tomek but I think Jurusik is really underrated too. Then there's Joel Daccord from Cushing Academy. These are the guys I'd look into if I was the Oilers.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
To change the direction a little bit, one guy I'm interested in is small Juuso Ikonen from Finland. I went back and watched some footage from the world juniors mainly to watch more of Mikko Rantanen when this guy caught my eye. As a '95 birthday he's a double overager and he's small at 5'9, 176 lbs but the kid got game. He has already played three and a half season against men in the finnish top league and produced at a decent clip. Had 12 goals and 25 points in 50 games this past year. I wouldn't mind using a 7th on him have him come over to the AHL and see if he can adjust to the north american game. Definitely liked what I saw.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45981

Fun fact: His brother Joni, born 1999, is a top prospect for the 2017 draft.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
To change the direction a little bit, one guy I'm interested in is small Juuso Ikonen from Finland. I went back and watched some footage from the world juniors mainly to watch more of Mikko Rantanen when this guy caught my eye. As a '95 birthday he's a double overager and he's small at 5'9, 176 lbs but the kid got game. He has already played three and a half season against men in the finnish top league and produced at a decent clip. Had 12 goals and 25 points in 50 games this past year. I wouldn't mind using a 7th on him have him come over to the AHL and see if he can adjust to the north american game. Definitely liked what I saw.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=45981

Fun fact: His brother Joni, born 1999, is a top prospect for the 2017 draft.

Surprisingly enough I remember him. His draft was 2013 iirc and I was pretty shocked he didn't get selected. I believe he put really good numbers. He wouldn't be a bad selection in the 7th but I think it's more realistic that we invite him to camp and sign him. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad