Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | It's The Final Countdown: TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I keep thinking about trading down, I wonder if the Sabres would consider.

To BUF: 16th, 57th and 79th

for

To EDM: 21st, 31st and 51st

Edit: Love that its back, try a grab Samsonov at 21 and then guys who shouldn't have fallen to the 2nd round at 31 and 33

I think a trade down from 16 in this draft is the smartest play. After the first 10 or so, there seems to be about 20 or so prospects who are very close in ability.

I look at 16 and see a bunch of players that I'd be happy with so if they could trade back, still get one of those players and collect another 2nd rounder, that would be ideal. It would also give them more picks for trade possibilities.

The only reason I would be hesitant about a trade back is because it hurts the possibility of a bigger trade. I don't think a bigger trade is in the offing because I don't see players like Burns and Seabrook being available so a trade back would be a good idea.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Sure, but you can't count on a drafted goalie to be your savior. They don't pan out far more often then they do. Look at any past draft for proof

A high hockey sense D with great puck moving skills is also a big need.

I agree but I dont see that option being available there. I have my doubts that Roy is the guy? I like your late round goalie thoughts as well and I see nothing wrong with selecting the best of that Goalie group in the late rounds.

Dream
1st Overall - Generational Player
16th Overall - Potential Franchise Player in Samsonov
2-2nd rounds - Best Defensive D that can make a first pass
2- 3rd rounds - Best Defensive D that can make a first pass
4th round - Second Goalie prospect.

If Stu is leading the Draft
All the rest the best overagers the BCHL can provide!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I put a lot of time into thinking about this. The way I see the mock drawing out, given some off the board picks.

1. Edmonton - Connor McDavid
2. Buffalo - Jack Eichel
3. Arizona - Dylan Strome
4. Toronto - Mitch Marner
5. Carolina - Noah Hanifin
6. New Jersey - Pavel Zacha
7. Philadelphia - Ivan Provorov
8. Columbus - Zack Werenski
9. San Jose - Mathew Barzal
10. Colorado - Lawson Crouse
11. Florida - Mikko Rantanen
12. Dallas - Kyle Connor
13. Los Angeles - Timo Meier
14. Boston - Travis Konecny
15. Calgary - Jakub Zboril

I don't think anyone in the top 12 drops but if they do, I doubt they make it to 16.
they had Joe Haggerty from Boston on Oilers Now yesterday and he said the Bruins are looking at Chabot from Saint John as a possibility for the Bruins
if that happens I see one of Konecny and Merkley falling and I'd love to nab one of them...there's no measure for playing with heart and passion and both of these guys have it in spades, plus they're RH shots...something we are desperately in need of. But I doubt we go with one of them. It'll be a defencemen IMO

I picked Svechnikov because he's a big winger with a ton of skill but I see them taking a Roy or Zboril

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think a trade down from 16 in this draft is the smartest play. After the first 10 or so, there seems to be about 20 or so prospects who are very close in ability.

I look at 16 and see a bunch of players that I'd be happy with so if they could trade back, still get one of those players and collect another 2nd rounder, that would be ideal. It would also give them more picks for trade possibilities.

The only reason I would be hesitant about a trade back is because it hurts the possibility of a bigger trade. I don't think a bigger trade is in the offing because I don't see players like Burns and Seabrook being available so a trade back would be a good idea.

Agreed, but as I look at it right now, I see them as separate potential futures, you either trade down or you trade it for a defenseman. I'm still on the trade for a defenseman bandwagon, I just thinking of options for the Oilers if they do want to draft, and if you want to take that goalie with less guilt basically, because a goalie at 16 is a lot tougher to justify then at 21 (or lower) in my mind.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I wonder if Svechnikov will be there at 21st if Oilers traded down with Buffalo and also grabbed their 31st. I want Svechnikov(21), Guryanov(31), Hintz(57), Lindgren(79) and one of Kylington/Larsson/Zboril/Chabot/Juulsen(33) and one of the European goalie with a late round. This would be a dream scenario for me.

He isn't even guaranteed to be there at 16, so I wouldn't count on him being there at 21. Of course, I suppose it is a possibility.

The other thing is, 31 overall is a pretty steep price to pay to move up 5 spots in the draft. I do think we could get their #51 for that trade down though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed, but as I look at it right now, I see them as separate potential futures, you either trade down or you trade it for a defenseman. I'm still on the trade for a defenseman bandwagon, I just thinking of options for the Oilers if they do want to draft, and if you want to take that goalie with less guilt basically, because a goalie at 16 is a lot tougher to justify then at 21 (or lower) in my mind.

Yeah, that makes sense. Get on the phone with Chiarelli immediately :D

I like the idea of Samsonov but I could stomach a whole lot easier taking Samsonov at 21 with an extra 2nd rounder in the pocket than taking him at 16 although I don't think 21 is the spot to trade down to because isn't that Buffalo's pick? I'm sure that Buffalo would be content to stay at 21 and let Samsonov fall to them since they need a good young goalie just as badly as the Oilers do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, that makes sense. Get on the phone with Chiarelli immediately :D

I like the idea of Samsonov but I could stomach a whole lot easier taking Samsonov at 21 with an extra 2nd rounder in the pocket than taking him at 16 although I don't think 21 is the spot to trade down to because isn't that Buffalo's pick? I'm sure that Buffalo would be content to stay at 21 and let Samsonov fall to them since they need a good young goalie just as badly as the Oilers do.

I was looking at in terms of there's a guy Buffalo would really want at #16, say Merkley or someone, so they don't see them falling to 21. As it stands right now, there's no reason for Buffalo to trade up, just a hypothetical.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He isn't even guaranteed to be there at 16, so I wouldn't count on him being there at 21. Of course, I suppose it is a possibility.

The other thing is, 31 overall is a pretty steep price to pay to move up 5 spots in the draft. I do think we could get their #51 for that trade down though.

If Buffalo really wants Samsonov and they believe he won't be there at 21st. 21st+31st is not out of question. They are not trading for position. They are trading for a player. Personally I'm not as high as others on taking goalies early especially in the 1st round. There's still Vladar, Blackwood, Tomek in the 3rd rounds.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Crouse at 16 would be very, very interesting. Can't see him getting past Calgary though.

a player that fans hope will drop to #16 like Svechnikov, or Konecny is already on Calgary's radar and likely won't make it past them. they can't get them all, but they are likely looking at the same players as we are and will likely take at least one of the players we want first before we can get him. similar to when the Flames grabbed a player the Oilers likely wanted badly, C Sean Monahan, one pick before us at the 2013 draft.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
a player that fans hope will drop to #16 like Svechnikov, or Konecny is already on Calgary's radar and likely won't make it past them. they can't get them all, but they are likely looking at the same players as we are and will likely take at least one of the players we want first before we can get him. similar to when the Flames grabbed a player the Oilers likely wanted badly, C Sean Monahan, one pick before us at the 2013 draft.

McDavid makes up for missing out on Monahan and Ekblad.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree but I dont see that option being available there. I have my doubts that Roy is the guy? I like your late round goalie thoughts as well and I see nothing wrong with selecting the best of that Goalie group in the late rounds.

Dream

I am not going to argue with you any more. I feel like I am trying to kick water uphill. There is no justification for taking Samsonov at 16 other than he shares the same country as a goalie that was picked high and actually looks like he's going to work out.

If Samsonov is there at 33 sure, take him. At 16 there are a bunch of better option, imo.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
If Buffalo really wants Samsonov and they believe he won't be there at 21st. 21st+31st is not out of question. They are not trading for position. They are trading for a player. Personally I'm not as high as others on taking goalies early especially in the 1st round. There's still Vladar, Blackwood, Tomek in the 3rd rounds.

the problem for the Oilers is that if they really want one of Samsonov/Blackwood, they probably should take him at #16, which is kind of high. seems to me that with the Yotes having picks #29 and #32 that one of these two goalies will be taken before the Oilers ever get a chance to take one. and i'm also guessing that with the Sabres having picks #2 and #21 that if they want a goalie, they will take the one of the two that's left at #31. it's just a hunch i have, but i don't see either one making it to #33 for the Oilers.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
the problem for the Oilers is that if they really want one of Samsonov/Blackwood, they probably should take him at #16, which is kind of high. seems to me that with the Yotes having picks #29 and #32 that one of these two goalies will be taken before the Oilers ever get a chance to take one. and i'm also guessing that with the Sabres having picks #2 and #21 that if they want a goalie, they will take the one of the two that's left at #31. it's just a hunch i have, but i don't see either one making it to #33 for the Oilers.

Oilers aren't good at drafting and developing goalies. History has shown that. If we are using the 16th pick on a goalie, it should be Gibson who is further along the development. And Samsonov won't make an impact until another 5 years. Oilers are better off trading for a proven starter. This should be the memo. A proven back up like Talbot can be had for the pennies on the dollar right now.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I am not going to argue with you any more. I feel like I am trying to kick water uphill. There is no justification for taking Samsonov at 16 other than he shares the same country as a goalie that was picked high and actually looks like he's going to work out.

If Samsonov is there at 33 sure, take him. At 16 there are a bunch of better option, imo.

No argument just a discussion!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Oilers aren't good at drafting and developing goalies. History has shown that. If we are using the 16th pick on a goalie, it should be Gibson who is further along the development. And Samsonov won't make an impact until another 5 years. Oilers are better off trading for a proven starter. This should be the memo. A proven back up like Talbot can be had for the pennies on the dollar right now.

^but you don't stop trying! and i hate to break it to all the 'trade the #16 pick for a proven starting goalie or close to a top d-man' crowd, but i haven't heard much in the way of PC saying he'd be willing to trade it, unless i missed something? but i did hear that the #33 is definitely in play.

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

I think at 16 Samsonov falls into a big cluster with Svechnikov, Merkley, Roy, Zboril, White, Chabot etc where every team could have that group in a different order.

Samsonov at 16 wouldn't really be off the board, and by all counts, he has elite potential.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Dream

I mostly agree with your list, however, I would want a forward in each of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
^but you don't stop trying! and i hate to break it to all the 'trade the #16 pick for a proven starting goalie or close to a top d-man' crowd, but i haven't heard much in the way of PC saying he'd be willing to trade it, unless i missed something? but i did hear that the #33 is definitely in play.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...move-draft-picks-for-more-game-ready-players/

When mention was made specifically of the # 16, 33, and 57 picks (NOT: #1), Chiarelli responded.

“I certainly would look at moving any of those picks for… something that would help us right now, but also that could grow with our organization, so relatively speaking a younger player. It’s good to have a lot of picks and develop players, but we also want to hit the ground running with some more game-ready players. Discussions are picking up, they’ll continue to be ongoing until the draft, they might subside a little bit, and then pick up again around the free agency date.â€

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
My only interest in the draft is seeing McDavid picked and hoping for some deals to fill the holes on this team. I'll be disappointed if we end up keeping all our picks this year. But I guess if the right deal isn't there, then it's best to keep them.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think at 16 Samsonov falls into a big cluster with Svechnikov, Merkley, Roy, Zboril, White, Chabot etc where every team could have that group in a different order.

Samsonov at 16 wouldn't really be off the board, and by all counts, he has elite potential.

Many goalies picked in the 1st in previous drafts have been said to have elite potential. The odds are still better that a 1st round pick skater pans out than a 1st round pick goalie.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I mostly agree with your list, however, I would want a forward in each of the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I agree with that, it would be great to get some very good 3rd, 4th line bangers that are very good at their role, healthy, and ready to provide some energy in a couple of years!

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I voted for Roy. He's all over the top 13-30 it seems, but I think he's got great potential and can fill a definite need at RHD.

Svechnikov I like, but minor concern he's a LW. I believe Meier and Rantanen are RW, which I would prefer slightly. But I'd be happy with Svechnikov.

White would be fine too, and Konecny.

Honestly, other than Samsonov, I'm good with whoever they think BPA is at #16, and given how loaded this draft is, who knows? :laugh:

Zboril is fine, but he screams "jack of all trades, master of none" to me.

Also should point out Red Line Report has Samsonov at #23, and they actually rank Tomek ahead of him at #22. If we could get Tomek in the 3rd, that would be a big win I think.

Edit: Guryanov is a bit of a puzzle for me, but I think I've seen 3-4 different scouting reports having him in the top 10 (including RLR). If he's there at #16, I think you draft him.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I am 50/50 between Guryanov and Svechnikov over who will turn out better and would be a better fit for our team.

I lean Guryanov because he can also play RW. On top of that I see him being in russia as a positive and the russian posters believe he is a decent bit more skilled then Svechnikov.

Russia is a positive in the sense that we have 4 years to sign him he can develop over there and then when we need cheap cap options the most he may be able to jump into our top 9 and help bring down the cost of our forwards. This would coincide hopefully with McDavid coming off his ELC.

Guryanov is also bigger that Svechnikov height wise but is a little lighter but also shows the will to drive to the net and both can fly along with play a cycle game. This allows them to potentially fit on multiple types of lines Svechnikov is the safer option with more exposure and is already in NA and can speak english thus allowing him to communicate his intentions better to our team so there could be a greater comfort level.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I agree with that, it would be great to get some very good 3rd, 4th line bangers that are very good at their role, healthy, and ready to provide some energy in a couple of years!

I disagree with this line of thinking. There's tonnes of talent left in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Guryanov, Hintz, Roslovic etc all have top 6 potential. Oilers will need these guys in 4-5 years to fill in the shoes when RNH, Hall, Eberle will likely priced themselves off the team when they hit UFA. We just can't afford to give them 8M each. The reason why Chicago has been successful is they always keep their cupboard fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad