Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread | It's The Final Countdown: TODAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
No Bittner love? I went with Evgeny Svechnikov. But really I just hope if we do use this pick at 16 we hit a home run with it!

I also went with him, but it also might be a bit of a redundant pick. Honestly, there's so much talent to choose from I don't know if we can go wrong as long as we don't go seriously off the board. A big winger, a feisty 2-way center, an Eberle-esque scorer, a right-shooting offensive defensemen, promising all-around d-men, and a tantalizing potential starting goalie.

Jeez, just don't eff it up Oilers.

Oct 30, 2011
I also went with him, but it also might be a bit of a redundant pick. Honestly, there's so much talent to choose from I don't know if we can go wrong as long as we don't go seriously off the board. A big winger, a feisty 2-way center, an Eberle-esque scorer, a right-shooting offensive defensemen, promising all-around d-men, and a tantalizing potential starting goalie.

Jeez, just don't eff it up Oilers.

I'm more worried about the second round than the first.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
No Bittner love? I went with Evgeny Svechnikov. But really I just hope if we do use this pick at 16 we hit a home run with it!

Bittner is a coke machine. Not saying he can't turn into a great forward but there so much more talent out there at 16. Rather Svechnikov 100 percent. I'm honestly hoping Roope Hintz falls to us with 57th, I would be exstatic! Loved him at the WJC. Plus his name is money haha

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
For a late round potential gem, I'd like to officially start my campaign for drafting Jake Morrissey from the Kelowna Rockets.

Incredibly young (could be the youngest player in the draft - Sept '97), had great numbers, and may be under the radar on account of him playing a backup role behind 19 year old Jackson Whistle. Similar to Steve Mason in his draft year.

I don't know where he is expected to go, but if we can nab him in the 4th or later, it could end up being an absolute steal.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
The sudden realization that this will probably our last #1 Overall pick in at least 15-20 years.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder if Svechnikov will be there at 21st if Oilers traded down with Buffalo and also grabbed their 31st. I want Svechnikov(21), Guryanov(31), Hintz(57), Lindgren(79) and one of Kylington/Larsson/Zboril/Chabot/Juulsen(33) and one of the European goalie with a late round. This would be a dream scenario for me.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I put a lot of time into thinking about this. The way I see the mock drawing out, given some off the board picks.

1. Edmonton - Connor McDavid
2. Buffalo - Jack Eichel
3. Arizona - Dylan Strome
4. Toronto - Mitch Marner
5. Carolina - Noah Hanifin
6. New Jersey - Pavel Zacha
7. Philadelphia - Ivan Provorov
8. Columbus - Zack Werenski
9. San Jose - Mathew Barzal
10. Colorado - Lawson Crouse
11. Florida - Mikko Rantanen
12. Dallas - Kyle Connor
13. Los Angeles - Timo Meier
14. Boston - Travis Konecny
15. Calgary - Jakub Zboril

I don't think anyone in the top 12 drops but if they do, I doubt they make it to 16.

Last edited:

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Voted Samsonov. Some one was posting about how Vaselevky put up better numbers his draft year, but not true, that was the year after. I think he could be better, got to grab him.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Have a feeling Crouse drops to us.

Not a chance. But that would be awesome. The guy is getting criminally underrated because people are so bothered by the idea of drafting a low upside, physical type in the high first round. Crouse at 16 would be a steal. Him at 3 or 4, not so much.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
If it was up to me I would never, ever draft a goalie. Too unpredictable. Just sign free agents.

I voted for Svechnikov with 16.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Voted Samsonov. Some one was posting about how Vaselevky put up better numbers his draft year, but not true, that was the year after. I think he could be better, got to grab him.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=70424

2012 was his draft year. Look at his numbers in the 2011-2012 season. Hell, even in 10/11 he put up better numbers for his MHL team than Samsonov did this year, albeit with 4 fewer games played. I'll trust the numbers + the russian posters who watched both. That's not to say Samsonov is not a great prospect, I just don't think he is that slam dunk homerun goalie pick like Vasi and Gibson.

EDIT: I also think Samsonov is getting overrated largely thanks to Vasilevski. People see him and think he's the same guy and going to have the same success. If Vasilevski didn't exist I doubt scouts would rank Samsonov in the 1st honestly. He's a 2nd round guy at best IMO. Even the most highly touted goalies can fail. Jacob Markström was a #31 overall pick and I thought he was a sure-fire guy and going to have success. At 25 he's still not in the NHL. Oscar Dansk was another guy I really liked in his draft year, had terrific numbers and a solid U18's. Drafted #31 overall and completely bombed in his first pro season last year, couldn't even get going in the ECHL and is now back in Sweden for next year...

Even taking these guys early in the 2nd is a bad proposition. The funny part about CBJ and Dansk is that he's not their best swedish goalie prospect anymore. You know who is? Anton Forsberg. A guy who was picked in the 7th round and has had three straight terrific seasons in the pros. Did make his NHL debut this year and didnt impress but nontheless, was one of the best goalies in the AHL this year (.927), SHL last year (.920) and Allsvenskan aka swe2 (.933) the year before that. That's pretty good for a 7th round pick. And I could keep listing names picked in the 4-5th round or later that are tracking very well.

EDIT2: http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2008&sort=position&position=G

Here's a pretty cool view on how the goalies taken in the 2008 draft are doing. The most successful one is not one taken in the 1st round. The most successful one by a wide margin is Braden Holtby, taken in the 4th. After him it's Anders Lindbäck, the last goalie taken in the draft (taken in the 7th). After that I guess it's between Jake Allen (2nd), Michael Hutchinson (3rd) and Dustin Tokarski (5th).

The year before was an awful draft for goalies http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft.php?year=2007&sort=position&position=G

Shows again you don't want to spend high picks on them. The best one from that draft is probably going to be Scott Darling, taken in the 6th. You can keep on doing this excercise. Obviously sometimes the high picks hit and you get a star goalie but the chances for that are quite slim. Even in 2006 only 2 of 4 goalies taken in the 1st became NHLers. The highest one being Bernier picked #11 and he got passed in the pecking order on his own team by a 3rd round pick in Jonathan Quick. He got traded to Toronto for Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round pick. What would you rather have, that return or #11 overall? :D

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Voted Roy. Also good with Svechnikov.

Why is everyone so fixated on taking a goalie this year? I have heard 2016 is a much better draft for goalies than 2015. Why not focus on skaters this draft? Is an 18yo goalie that big a priority for the organization this summer

I always assumed Roy was going to go in the 14th to 16th overall range, but according to McKenzies list which is pretty much the gold standard for being pretty reliable in terms of where players are going to go he is pegged to go 29th. In my copy of Future Considerations he's listed at 13 and they praise his offensive game pretty heavily. It seems like there is some concerns about his defensive game.

At this pick I'd prefer to get Svechnikov or Zboril.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Voted Roy. Also good with Svechnikov.

Why is everyone so fixated on taking a goalie this year? I have heard 2016 is a much better draft for goalies than 2015. Why not focus on skaters this draft? Is an 18yo goalie that big a priority for the organization this summer

Reason being we have two major holes left. A great Goalie and a number one d. If we can fill one of these holes plus add Mcdavid I'm all in!

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I don't know..

I'm still on board with trying to trade LD to the Coyotes for the 3rd. Although I love having Leon and his potential, winning the lottery means we get an even better C and have RNH as a #2.
We have a bigger need for a young, potential, #1 defenseman and I think Hanifin is going to be that.
IMO, adding him to the D with Nurse and Klef would be more important than having a good/great #3 C.
Find a good, young goalie to add to the mix.
Obviously, we'd still need PC to make a few 'moves', for now, to shore up the D for 2-3 years but imagine the future lineups.

Besides, we'd still potentially have the #16, unless needed for the 'moves.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Reason being we have two major holes left. A great Goalie and a number one d. If we can fill one of these holes plus add Mcdavid I'm all in!

Sure, but you can't count on a drafted goalie to be your savior. They don't pan out far more often then they do. Look at any past draft for proof

A high hockey sense D with great puck moving skills is also a big need.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure if posted, but interested read with Bob Green

http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/11/bob-green-talks-scouting-and-the-draft

Gregor: Does Chiarelli have a different focus or approach on the types of players he wants compared to MacTavish?

Green: No, I don’t think so. I think that everybody puts a premium on size and you want to find big guys who can play.

Brownlee: What has been the focus in conversations Chiarelli has had with you and the staff?

Green: Well I can’t speak for Peter, but I think for the most part a lot of it’s going to have to do with him getting to know the people.

Two things that popped out at me. Be curious to see if MacT stays a lot longer than we expect. I don't think he was dumb in terms of his knowledge of what was needed, but his ability to make the tough decisions was lacking IMO.

As for the second question I quoted. Really makes me wonder what PC is thinking. You have a staff that you really don't know. How do you trust them with this many picks in a deep draft?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I want one of the russians there. Samsonov of Svechnikov. And I have a feeling Oilers are eyeing Svechnikov there based on what Chia is looking for.

If we go D, I'm more interested in Zboril than Roy

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I keep thinking about trading down, I wonder if the Sabres would consider.

To BUF: 16th, 57th and 79th

for

To EDM: 21st, 31st and 51st

Edit: Love that its back, try a grab Samsonov at 21 and then guys who shouldn't have fallen to the 2nd round at 31 and 33

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not sure if posted, but interested read with Bob Green

http://oilersnation.com/2015/6/11/bob-green-talks-scouting-and-the-draft

Gregor: Does Chiarelli have a different focus or approach on the types of players he wants compared to MacTavish?

Green: No, I don’t think so. I think that everybody puts a premium on size and you want to find big guys who can play.

Brownlee: What has been the focus in conversations Chiarelli has had with you and the staff?

Green: Well I can’t speak for Peter, but I think for the most part a lot of it’s going to have to do with him getting to know the people.

Two things that popped out at me. Be curious to see if MacT stays a lot longer than we expect. I don't think he was dumb in terms of his knowledge of what was needed, but his ability to make the tough decisions was lacking IMO.

As for the second question I quoted. Really makes me wonder what PC is thinking. You have a staff that you really don't know. How do you trust them with this many picks in a deep draft?

Can't say that interview sparked my faith in the Oilers scouting staff (including Howson, Green and Stu). Everything sounds quite low standard in their approach to the draft. Luckily my expectations are already super low after last year so it can't get much worse than that.

I fully expect the draft to go something like this:

#16 One of Bittner/Carlo/Samsonov
#33 One of Blackwood/Carlsson/Siegenthaler
#57 One of Musil/Greenway/Spencer

And we'd have once again sacrificed a lot of skill just for this absurd notion that "we have to get bigger".

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I keep thinking about trading down, I wonder if the Sabres would consider.

To BUF: 16th, 57th and 79th

for

To EDM: 21st, 31st and 51st

Edit: Love that its back, try a grab Samsonov at 21 and then guys who shouldn't have fallen to the 2nd round at 31 and 33

I normally hate trading back but I really like this. Good Job. You should post it on the main board and see if Buff would do it? I suspect it is a little expensive for them to move up 5 spots.

The only part I don't like is a goalie at 21.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I normally hate trading back but I really like this. Good Job. You should post it on the main board and see if Buff would do it? I suspect it is a little expensive for them to move up 5 spots.

Well I don't mind the Goalie at 21, compared to 16, if you can still get some other nice players at 31 and 33,

Say, some how, Roy falls to 31 and you get Juulsen at 33, that's a nice draft.

I think it depends who's there at 16 that Buffalo would really want.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
In regards to drafting goalies. I prefer getting 2 in the mid-late rounds in 2015. In 2016 is where we draft the best available goalie with a 2nd rounder like what the Nucks did with Demko.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

If Buffalo is willing to essentially drop from that sweet 31 spot all the way to 79 to move up 5 spots in the middle of the 1st, one of two things happened:

1) An amazing player somehow fell to 16 - Provorov, Barzal, Crouse or some miracle like that - and we should take him.

2) Being in such close proximity to McDavid caused Tim Murray to stroke out, and we should call an ambulance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad