2015 NHL Entry Draft #4 - June 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
They do keep a list throughout the year. I believe we just held our final meetings last week with our scouts on finalizing the list. Maloney was just trying to deflect from the disappointment of the lottery result. It was the equivalent of saying there are other players in the draft that we have been keeping tabs on. I mean I have a strong opinion on who they should take at 3 so Maloney expressing confidence in their list is just normal PR.

Maloney is just trying to create a market for his asset to give himself the no-brainer option to pick up assets and still get a guy very high on their list.

Anyone surprised by Maloney's comments really shouldn't be. This is his job. Explore options that improve the club.

I am curious who you think they should take and who do you think they will take if they don't make a move from 3OA.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would take Hanifin. I think we take Strome.

I'm okay either way. We just need to be prepared to wait the time for Strome to add 30+ lbs of muscle and for him to improve his skating.

I like Hanifin because he is an elite skater. I also love the comparison to Niedermayer who is one of my all-time favourite players. Mistake free 25 minute/night all situations D are rare.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

I'm okay either way. We just need to be prepared to wait the time for Strome to add 30+ lbs of muscle and for him to improve his skating.

I like Hanifin because he is an elite skater. I also love the comparison to Niedermayer who is one of my all-time favourite players. Mistake free 25 minute/night all situations D are rare.
Based on fan reaction from other teams boards, appears Hanifin is greater demand than Strome or Marner. That could be based on team need or who others project as the best player. It's fan driven...we'll see what GM's think in 3 weeks.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010

Thanks. I do not have insight there that you do but my gut feeling hopes for Hanifin too though I understand everyone wanting the big center-man.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Based on fan reaction from other teams boards, appears Hanifin is greater demand than Strome or Marner. That could be based on team need or who others project as the best player. It's fan driven...we'll see what GM's think in 3 weeks.

Hanafin just seems like a safer pick but I think if GMDM is not sure, he should trade the pick away and let someone else make the decision. But he better get a good return.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Which top 10 players were heavily knocked for their skating but went on to be good players recently?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Thanks. I do not have insight there that you do but my gut feeling hopes for Hanifin too though I understand everyone wanting the big center-man.

If we removed all the players from the lineup and we were picking fresh this draft then Hanifin would definitely be the selection...no doubt about that.

I just think that we're going to go 'need' vs. BPA and therefore the only selection we could make is Strome. Marner I didn't know, but he had 2 concussions in the playoffs, which isn't good.

Anyway,

BPA = Hanifin
Most Exciting = Marner
Most Needed = Strome

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
If we removed all the players from the lineup and we were picking fresh this draft then Hanifin would definitely be the selection...no doubt about that.

I just think that we're going to go 'need' vs. BPA and therefore the only selection we could make is Strome. Marner I didn't know, but he had 2 concussions in the playoffs, which isn't good.

Anyway,

BPA = Hanifin
Most Exciting = Marner
Most Needed = Strome

good point.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Which top 10 players were heavily knocked for their skating but went on to be good players recently?

Tavares? Not sure if heavily knocked applies there but many thought his skating was bad right?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It was bad at one point but he got much better in his draft year IIRC.

Ah, I didn't really follow prospects prior to this season that's just a guy I heard had bad skating. Me following prospects this year was a direct product of us sucking so badly haha.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Anyway,

BPA = Hanifin
Most Exciting = Marner
Most Needed = Strome
If that's the case (and I agree with you), then you need to take Hanifin. Right?

avco

Feb 10, 2007

Anyway,

BPA = Hanifin
Most Exciting = Marner
Most Needed = Strome

Partially agree with you.

BPA = Hanifin
Most Exciting = Marner
Most Needed = Hanifin

Why do I say Hanifin is most needed and not Strome. Simply for the following reason: if OEL suffers a serious/season-ending injury early next year we won't have to worry about getting any goals; more concerned on whether we can get the puck out of our defensive zone into the neutral zone.

I can't make the same kind of statement regarding our forwards as we don't have any one forward who is that crucial to our offense; as little as it was this past season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bob McKenzie's final rankings will be released tomorrow. We'll see if he provides any clarity re: Hanifin, Strome, Marner, etc.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Was Johansen a highly regarded skater?

Johansen was viewed as raw because of where he came from, but his skating was considered good for a tall guy.

I think Barkov, Grigorenko and Draisaitl are decent comparables for Strome in terms of Strengths and weaknesses. They're all recent draftees so not a lot of results yet. All more about position and vision than energy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's how I think it will play out as well.I guess we will know soon enough.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
And his personal skating coach was Dawn Braid. Who Strome recently started working with.

Braid has said he's at about where Tavares was at the same age. She could just be saying that because he's her client though. If you watch Strome videos from his midget days though, you can see the big strides hes made since then

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
How much has Hanifin actually improved since a year ago? Six months ago?

Some players just mature at a very early age but dont really improve beyond that. Is he one of those?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Braid has said he's at about where Tavares was at the same age.

Interesting considering the size difference. Strome is quite a bit bigger than Tavares. In his draft year, Tavares was 6'0", 200, and today he's 6'1", 205. Meanwhile Strome will likely add 30 lbs and maybe another inch.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
McKenzie's final rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-tops-mckenzie-s-final-draft-ranking-1.296839

Boston College defenceman Noah Hanifin was the clear consensus at No. 3 -- seven of the 10 scouts surveyed had him there -- but there was enough support for several other prospects to suggest there's likely to be some unpredictably beyond the certainty of McDavid-Eichel.

Button has individual profiles for each of the top prospects as well. Strome's skating gets a 3 out of 5:

bZk95KQ.jpg

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Boston College defenceman Noah Hanifin was the clear consensus at No. 3 -- seven of the 10 scouts surveyed had him there -- but there was enough support for several other prospects to suggest there's likely to be some unpredictably beyond the certainty of McDavid-Eichel.
Three prospects got a single vote each at No. 3 -- London Knight winger Mitch Marner, who is No. 4 on TSN's final list; Erie Otter centre Dylan Strome, who slots in at No. 5; and, Brandon Wheat King defenceman Ivan Provorov, who is No. 8. So, we know there is at least one NHL team that has Provorov as the top-ranked defenceman in this draft, ahead of consensus choice Hanifin.
For the three scouts that didn't have Hanifin at No. 3, one had him at No. 4, one at No. 5 and one at No. 7. The difference between No. 4 ranked Marner and No. 5 ranked Strome was paper thin.

The Hanifin being the majority 7/10 is interesting, but sounds like Marner and Strome is a coin toss, after that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you switch Zacha and Werenski, I'd say there are literally no suprises at all in the top 30. Pretty much mirrors all of the fan consensus lists in the 1-30 range, with very little deviation (apart from Werenski being five spots low and Zacha being five spots high).

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm thinking we want Strome but would prefer to take him at 5. Just need to be sure that Toronto takes Marner at 4. What is Carolina willing to pay to move up for Hanifin? If it's nothing substantial, just take Strome at 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad