2015 NHL Draft Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There was a conversation on twitter between Flyers writers (bloggers, not the crappy writers) now that we know the 2nd pick will be 29 or 30, do you do 7 + 29/30 for 4? Because then you are getting a stud and half there.

I don't think I would do that, but I wonder about doing 7+2nd this year+3rd next year if that would get it done? Overpayment? Not enough?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think I would do that, but I wonder about doing 7+2nd this year+3rd next year if that would get it done? Overpayment? Not enough?

You're probably gonna have to pay more than the #7 & #29-30 price anyway. It's only three slots but that's a nice drop in quality of player & teams seemingly put a high price on top 5 picks now a days.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't think anybody bites that. If #4 will net a REALLY good player, 7+60+40 won't duplicate it.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You're probably gonna have to pay more than the #7 & #29-30 price anyway. It's only three slots but that's a nice drop in quality of player & teams seemingly put a high price on top 5 picks now a days.

If that's what it would cost then I'd pass.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If you had to pay #7, #29-30, & second from next year I would still do it. I rather get the first pick right than worry about picks that you're likely going to land depth players with at best.

I guess for me it really depends on who the pick is. I still think I stay put if that is the price. I'd be more inclined to go after Strome or Hanifin than Marner (which would be presumably the three options).

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you had to pay #7, #29-30, & second from next year I would still do it. I rather get the first pick right than worry about picks that you're likely going to land depth players with at best.

It it were up to me and if Marner is still there instead of getting taken 3rd, then yup. Not too sure about Strome or Hanifin.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It it were up to me and if Marner is still there instead of getting taken 3rd, then yup. Not too sure about Strome or Hanifin.

I'd still do it for Hanifin too. He's still the best defensemen in this draft IMO. I think he's better than Provorov & Werenski right now & still has room to grow in his game.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Barzal could be, too. And Provorov could be a better pro than Hanifin. That's why I'm not very interested in trading up.

If we don't trade up then I hope Barzal slips past NJ.

I'd still do it for Hanifin too. He's still the best defensemen in this draft IMO. I think he's better than Provorov & Werenski right now & still has room to grow in his game.

If you were in charge would you feel confident enough that Hanifin is going to be far enough ahead of the other two D to be worth that price?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
The thing about Barzal, can he play wing?

It's not uncommon for centers to transition to the wing after being drafted, you don't know until you try him there but if you think he's the best player available you draft him and trust that he'll figure it out.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
If you had to pay #7, #29-30, & second from next year I would still do it. I rather get the first pick right than worry about picks that you're likely going to land NHL depth players with at best.

But those picks are still extremely important to the goal of building through the draft. I don't disagree you need to hit on your high picks, but making sure you're regularly picking in rounds 2 and 3 is how you end up with valuable players like Kucherov, Silfverberg, Killorn, etc. to supplement your high picks.

Yes, odds are that those picks become depth players >50% of the time (if they become anything at all), but you still need those picks to keep your prospect pipeline flowing.

It's not like #7 is a bad spot to be picking in. I'm really high on Marner and Hanifin both, but I don't think they're worth Barzal or Provorov+30+2nd 2016. None of them are guarantees. They're all just lottery tickets, and Marner/Hanifin just has a moderately higher chance of paying out. But the other two picks have their own value as lottery tickets, and you'll never capitalize on that value until you use enough of them to win the payout over time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But those picks are still extremely important to the goal of building through the draft. I don't disagree you need to hit on your high picks, but making sure you're regularly picking in rounds 2 and 3 is how you end up with valuable players like Kucherov, Silfverberg, Killorn, etc. to supplement your high picks.

Yes, odds are that those picks become depth players >50% of the time (if they become anything at all), but you still need those picks to keep your prospect pipeline flowing.

It's not like #7 is a bad spot to be picking in. I'm really high on Marner and Hanifin both, but I don't think they're worth Barzal or Provorov+30+2nd 2016. None of them are guarantees. They're all just lottery tickets, and Marner/Hanifin just has a moderately higher chance of paying out. But the other two picks have their own value as lottery tickets, and you'll never capitalize on that value until you use enough of them to win the payout over time.

Well they are excess picks & still could be replaced through other trades (I'd wager Hextall adds at least another pick before the draft).

I'm not real crazy about either Barzal & Provorov (I'm not convinced the Flyers would even pick Barzal given he has a tendency to be a perimeter player). I don't hate them & would be fine with selecting them but I like Marner & Hanifin a lot more than them.

I guess it's just a difference in opinion & philosphy but I would be fine with making that type of trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A lot of Chicago's recent success is due to the fact that they got a better LHD at #54 in the 2002 draft than Florida did at #3.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Would anyone trade our 1st for both of Winnipeg's? I might considering all of the late round talent ...not sure though? Anyone want to sway me a certain way??

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
A lot of Chicago's recent success is due to the fact that they got a better LHD at #54 in the 2002 draft than Florida did at #3.

And LA's two cups were on the back of the 2nd overall pick. So is Tampa's cup run this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And LA's two cups were on the back of the 2nd overall pick. So is Tampa's cup run this year.

They have an undrafted free agent, a 2nd rounder, and a 3rd rounder outscoring or level with their #2 overall pick. You can't rely only on top 5 picks.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
Would anyone trade our 1st for both of Winnipeg's? I might considering all of the late round talent ...not sure though? Anyone want to sway me a certain way??

Absolutely not. I see a drop at around 12. If we don't get one of these guys I'm going to be disappointed:
McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Provorov
Barzal
Connor
Crouse
Zacha
Rantanen
Werenski

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Absolutely not. I'm only moving forward from #7. "All of the late round talent" isn't really that different from any other year.

Who knows if the Flyers are selecting in the top 10 again going foward so we gotta make this one count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad