2015 NHL Draft Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I REALLY want Provorov or Barzal.

I'd be ok with Rantanen, Zacha and Werenski. I don't want Crouse.

only one of the big 6 (Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Barzal, Provorov, Werenski) that I don't want is Werenski. I think that would be a mistake. can't complain with any of the others though.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
only one of the big 6 (Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Barzal, Provorov, Werenski) that I don't want is Werenski. I think that would be a mistake. can't complain with any of the others though.

Why so negative on Werenski?

It seems like everyone loves Provorov. I wonder if people had just watched his series vs Calgary, like I did, if they'd be so in love. He was pretty terrible.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

It seems like everyone loves Provorov. I wonder if people had just watched his series vs Calgary, like I did, if they'd be so in love. He was pretty terrible.

Interesting.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Seeing how the Flyers drafted the last few years, I could see them going with someone outside of these six players. Seems like they've been doing that with Laughton, Morin, and Sanheim. Not bad picks at all, just picks that I don't think too many of us saw coming.

Laughton I don't think anyone saw coming, especially with Maata sitting there. I honestly don't remember Laughton's name being mentioned once leading up the 2012 draft. Same thing with Morin. Zadorov, Pulock, Domi, Morrissey, Mantha, and even Mueller were guys I remember being diicussed at the time. I remember thinking, "Who?" when Morin got drafted. Sanheim was the same way. Wasn't too much chatter about him on these boards. Milano, Larkin, DeAngelo, Kapanen, and Scherbak were names I remember discussing. I could be wrong, maybe there was more discussion about Laughton, Morin, and Sanheim than I remember, but I think the Flyers likely have a couple of guys in mind that no one in here is really considering at 7.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Seeing how the Flyers drafted the last few years, I could see them going with someone outside of these six players. Seems like they've been doing that with Laughton, Morin, and Sanheim. Not bad picks at all, just picks that I don't think too many of us saw coming.

Laughton I don't think anyone saw coming, especially with Maata sitting there. I honestly don't remember Laughton's name being mentioned once leading up the 2012 draft. Same thing with Morin. Zadorov, Pulock, Domi, Morrissey, Mantha, and even Mueller were guys I remember being diicussed at the time. I remember thinking, "Who?" when Morin got drafted. Sanheim was the same way. Wasn't too much chatter about him on these boards. Milano, Larkin, DeAngelo, Kapanen, and Scherbak were names I remember discussing. I could be wrong, maybe there was more discussion about Laughton, Morin, and Sanheim than I remember, but I think the Flyers likely have a couple of guys in mind that no one in here is really considering at 7.

But Sanheim was 17th pick and Laughton was 20th. There's a lot more variability at that point than 7th overall, especially in this uber-draft. I'm not saying that Hextall won't surprise us, but I doubt it would be as off-the-board as these latter two.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But Sanheim was 17th pick and Laughton was 20th. There's a lot more variability at that point than 7th overall, especially in this uber-draft. I'm not saying that Hextall won't surprise us, but I doubt it would be as off-the-board as these latter two.

Morin at #11 even had varying degrees. Him & Sanheim were both discussed on here leading up to the draft for different reasons.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Morin at #11 even had varying degrees. Him & Sanheim were both discussed on here leading up to the draft for different reasons.

I started commenting on Morin, but Flight Plan seemed to show that the Flyers would have picked him if they had a lower pick. And I would have been even more upset had he gone before Ristolainen, Nurse, Nichushkin ...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I just went back to some threads about past drafts. Could find nothing of Laughton, but plenty of folks were against Morin, and he was really only talked about in a positive way very little. No one really pushing him, only kind of passingly mentioning that he might possibly be an option. Some had him as a second round pick. Sanheim there actually was some chatter about though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Probably a better chance they go "off the board" with the Tampa pick than their own.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

any defenseman can look off at times. I just think Werenski is a little too one dimensional. both can produce offense, but Provorov has a more well rounded game, has better positioning, and is better defensively. I've used the comparison before, but I see Provorov as being a young Timonen and Werenski more like a young Jack Johnson. who would you rather have for the next 10-15 years if given the choice?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

it's much easier to go off the board late in the first round than it is at #7. most people agree that the top 12 this year is very solid, and then there's a big drop off after that in talent. you may see one or two surprises squeak in after the 10th pick, but the top 10 will very likely all feature the players we've all been talking about.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
any defenseman can look off at times. I just think Werenski is a little too one dimensional. both can produce offense, but Provorov has a more well rounded game, has better positioning, and is better defensively. I've used the comparison before, but I see Provorov as being a young Timonen and Werenski more like a young Jack Johnson. who would you rather have for the next 10-15 years if given the choice?
I could say Provorov is the next Ryan Murray and Werenski is the next Jacob Trouba. Who would you rather have?

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I could say Provorov is the next Ryan Murray and Werenski is the next Jacob Trouba. Who would you rather have?

That would be a pretty stupid comparison to make considering Provorov's offensive output compared to Murray's during his time in the WHL.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

but Trouba can play defense. :sarcasm:

I know it's all a guessing game as to how players will turn out, but seriously, would you rather have the car that looks all flashy but frequently breaks down and needs maintenance? or the one that is very steady and reliable and always gets you to where you want to go?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

I don't think it's quite that easy.

I know it's all a guessing game as to how players will turn out, but seriously, would you rather have the car that looks all flashy but frequently breaks down and needs maintenance? or the one that is very steady and reliable and always gets you to where you want to go?

Again, not that easy.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That would be a pretty stupid comparison to make considering Provorov's offensive output compared to Murray's during his time in the WHL.

Big difference in teams. Everett was a fringe playoff team during the majority of Murray's career in the WHL (outside of his first year there). They were the 8th seed in their conference 3 out of the 4 years he played in the WHL.

Brandon finished the year as the top team in the WHL standings. They were the highest scoring team with a difference of 35 goals between them & the second highest scoring team.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
but Trouba can play defense. :sarcasm:

I want the defenseman that is going to be the best player at 25, not at 18 and I think Werenski might be that guy. Provorov is the better all around player right now, but I think Werenski has more to work with (and is a good bit younger as well). Could I be wrong? Absolutely, but that's the beauty of the draft.

This is a perfect example of people making statements based off of stats and no context.

The Brandon Wheat Kings scored 340 goals this season. Tops in the WHL and 35 more than the next closest team!!! In Ryan Murray's draft year, Everett scored 185 goals. Third fewest in the entire league!!! Also consider that more than half of his points came on the powerplay in which Brandon also had the best powerplay in the league.

I think Provorov is a very good player. I like him. I like the way he plays the game. I mentioned him in October when it looked like he would be a late 1st round guy as a guy to keep an eye on. I just think he's getting a tad overrated right now and that comes mostly from people just looking at his stat line.

Werenski and Hanifin both produced at a much higher clip than Provorov did in the USHL last year.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
I want the defenseman that is going to be the best player at 25, not at 18 and I think Werenski might be that guy. Provorov is the better all around player right now, but I think Werenski has more to work with (and is a good bit younger as well). Could I be wrong? Absolutely, but that's the beauty of the draft.

This is a perfect example of people making statements based off of stats and no context.

The Brandon Wheat Kings scored 340 goals this season. Tops in the WHL and 35 more than the next closest team!!! In Ryan Murray's draft year, Everett scored 185 goals. Third fewest in the entire league!!! Also consider that more than half of his points came on the powerplay in which Brandon also had the best powerplay in the league.

I think Provorov is a very good player. I like him. I like the way he plays the game. I mentioned him in October when it looked like he would be a late 1st round guy as a guy to keep an eye on. I just think he's getting a tad overrated right now and that comes mostly from people just looking at his stat line.

Werenski and Hanifin both produced at a much higher clip than Provorov did in the USHL last year.

I agree with this. I like the upside of Werenski much better. Some people throw out the Suter comparison for Provorov, and I can see it to an extent, but I don't see him reaching that level.

All in all, I would be happy with any of Werenski, Provorov, Barzal, Rantanen, Zacha and maybe a couple others or if someone else drops. I trust the scouts to make the right pick between them. I know I haven't watched all of them enough to make a decision between them. I think the player we pick is going to be really good for us. I'm hoping for a forward though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Werenski is definitely reminiscent of Jack Johnson. Provorov reminiscent of Timonen/Desjardins.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Zacha write up:

Zacha’s numbers as an OHL rookie may not be eye popping in comparison to others in his draft class. But that’s because he wasn’t on the ice enough to make them look gaudy. Make no mistake; Zacha is a man child. He may not have had the breakthrough season many expected after Sarnia made him the first overall pick in the import draft, but when he did play, he certainly made his mark on the OHL. A strong center with a variety ways to beat you, Zacha’s at his best when he’s unbridled in open ice and exploding up the ice as if he was shot out of a howitzer. He’s a devastating hitter who toes that line between acceptable and dirty. His physicality coupled with his speed are reasons why the seas in the offensive zone seem to part whenever he has the puck. Zacha possesses an excellent shot and an even better release, and his one-timer is devastatingly accurate. He is very good at exiting his own end and entering the other. While he shouldn’t be categorized as a selfish player, Zacha tends to hold onto the puck longer than he should. Chalk it up to youth and overconfidence. Regardless, he’s built to sustain the rigors of the NHL almost immediately.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/pavel-zacha/

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia
Wouldn't mind one of Barzal, Zacha, or Provorov. Of course, they could take a riser coming out of nowhere...Broeser? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad