NAK-Laughton-Simmonds
Leier-Cousins-White

Yes, I like doing these.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Zacha is fine by me, but I'd still prefer Rantanen with that first pick.

EDIT: I thought Zacha was a winger, not a center. I'd be hesitant on that unless we are trading someone away. Still would be ok with the pick, but we just have so many centers and defensemen that it doesn't seem smart to keep drafting those positions.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Rantanen is the one I want least.

I'd take Barzal, Zacha, Crouse, Provorov, Werenski, or even Connor over him. Not that I think he'll be a bad player or anything, I've just been impressed by the other guys more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Zacha is fine by me, but I'd still prefer Rantanen with that first pick.

EDIT: I thought Zacha was a winger, not a center. I'd be hesitant on that unless we are trading someone away. Still would be ok with the pick, but we just have so many centers and defensemen that it doesn't seem smart to keep drafting those positions.

Zacha can play both C and LW.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Zacha write up:

Zacha’s numbers as an OHL rookie may not be eye popping in comparison to others in his draft class. But that’s because he wasn’t on the ice enough to make them look gaudy. Make no mistake; Zacha is a man child. He may not have had the breakthrough season many expected after Sarnia made him the first overall pick in the import draft, but when he did play, he certainly made his mark on the OHL. A strong center with a variety ways to beat you, Zacha’s at his best when he’s unbridled in open ice and exploding up the ice as if he was shot out of a howitzer. He’s a devastating hitter who toes that line between acceptable and dirty. His physicality coupled with his speed are reasons why the seas in the offensive zone seem to part whenever he has the puck. Zacha possesses an excellent shot and an even better release, and his one-timer is devastatingly accurate. He is very good at exiting his own end and entering the other. While he shouldn’t be categorized as a selfish player, Zacha tends to hold onto the puck longer than he should. Chalk it up to youth and overconfidence. Regardless, he’s built to sustain the rigors of the NHL almost immediately.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/pavel-zacha/

This is one of my big hesitations about Zacha. The knocks I've seen/read are that he tries to do it all himself, and that he isn't a 200-ft player. I am nervous about another Zherdev.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Zacha and DeBrusk in the 1st round.

In the future:

Zacha-Giroux-Voracek
DeBrusk-Couts-Schenn
NAK-Laughton-Simmonds
Leier-Cousins-White

Yes, I like doing these.

Wouldn't Zacha on a line with Giroux and Voracek be counterproductive? All three are the best puck-carriers on the team. G and V need a sniper, but I would say that Zacha-Couturier-Schenn would be a better deployment of puck movement.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Wouldn't Zacha on a line with Giroux and Voracek be counterproductive? All three are the best puck-carriers on the team. G and V need a sniper, but I would say that Zacha-Couturier-Schenn would be a better deployment of puck movement.

If anything I would move Voracek off of Giroux's wing and keep Zacha there (provided he pans out) since his playing style is a better compliment to Giroux. It also seems like he prefers RW. I think he would be my pick at 8 depending on how the team feels about his personality and competitiveness. His release is pretty sick.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA

You are correct. Especially if we are getting DeBrusk who would complement those two well, since he goes to the dirty areas and can pick up the garbage in front. Then putting Zacha with Couturier and Schenn would be able to bring out the best in those two by giving them a very offensively-minded player.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Zacha can play both C and LW.

If that's the case, as in, he's actually played enough of both to make that statement, then I'm fine. But if it is just speculation that he should be able to play C and LW, then I would still be hesitant. I don't know a lot about the kid other than the stuff I've seen on YouTube and read in scouting reports. Never watched him play live or anything so I don't know where he can and can't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad