Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion [continued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
We are winning McDavid, pushing Edmonton to 4th, so they'll take Marner there :D

And I like that mock draft us picking up Svechnikov.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
A Generational draft.

I don't disagree with the idea of building up the middle - but I don't think the leafs are in a position to pass up a talent on the level of Marner to draft an inferior prospect just because they play centre.

The leafs will be bad for a while. Lots of time to get that top line centre we all want t the draft.

They say 2003 was similar but I don't recall any draft loaded like this.With the new rules tanking won't mean as much and if the draft is similar to other years, you won't get talent like this at 5/6th.Both Strome and Marner would be first overall in many drafts.This is the time and whichever one projects to have more upside will be taken but don't be surprised if it's Marner because Strome is gone.Jones fell to 4th so if Edmonton passes on Hannifin, then what?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
My top five

McDavid
Eichel
Stome
Hanifin
Marner

Hoping and praying we end u with the 4th pick and the Oilers take Hanifin @ 3

Edmonton will be taking Hanifin. No question. Personally I don't think there is much debate between Marner and Strome. Strome won the scoring race. Strome is bigger and stronger and I hope Toronto gets Hanifin but when Edmonton takes him I can live with Strome :)

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Senyshyn should definitely be drafted, IMO.

Yeah without a doubt. He's making a nice push lately too. Lot of buzz lately from some scouts. Put up 13 goals and 17 points in his last 20 games (his February was what was pushing scouts attention, 10 goals in 11 games).

Any QMJHL followers/Remparts fans know anything about Dmytro Timashov?

QMJHLfollower would probably be best to ask. Likely has seen him more than anyone else on here.

But I've seen him a little.

He's small but pretty solid at 190. Very fast player, likes to use his speed off the rush to create chances. He's very very smart, and one of the best distributors in the Q. He's basically Erne's set up man in Quebec. He's damn skilled at finding the seams in a teams defense. Very strong at keeping the puck. Strong puck handler and quite creative.

I like him a lot, but then again I have a soft spot for smaller players. I would not be worried about his size at all.

He's also Ukrainian born but a Swedish national. Grew up in the Swedish development system.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Edmonton will be taking Hanifin. No question. Personally I don't think there is much debate between Marner and Strome. Strome won the scoring race. Strome is bigger and stronger and I hope Toronto gets Hanifin but when Edmonton takes him I can live with Strome :)

Strome won but he had a slightly lower PPG ;)

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
People need to quit writing off Marner as a centre. Still not sure if I'd rather him or Strome. But Marner plays like a centre. Dvorak has been the centre of that line in name only.

In name only? I've watched every London game for years, re-watching many, and that statement makes no sense. I don't know of one person who watches London regularly who'd make that statement.

Dvorak is one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Ask the professional scouts who are often at London games (Ross, Edwards, Yessie) for yourself.

Yes, Marner plays like a centre and can transition that way at the next level. Marner excelled at centre with Vaughan, Don Mills, etc. But don't extrapolate that to a ridiculous statement. That's almost as bad as the people who post in here routinely mis-stating London's lines, grossly over-stating Domi's correlation to Marner, etc.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Someone I'm looking at right now is Veeti Vainio. He's PPG in the FIN U-20 league and a right-shot. If we want someone on defense, I'd look at him. Especially late. Round 1 should be when we get a really good center and defenseman, round 3-7 we need to find gems and guys whom could round out the pool (including a goalie or two). Vainio, along with guys like Pius Suter, are guys I'm looking at to fill out our pool and replace some of the prospects we should be moving out.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It's Edmonton, so yes they can.

I'd get a good laugh in if they picked another forward

I would laugh hard.
it should really be one of three choices
McDavid if they Win
Eichel if they're 2nd (and even then...seriously)
Hanifin if they are third.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
With our pick I'd like either McDavid (Lottery by some miracle) or Marner. With the Nashville pick I take Joel Eriksson Ek, love his upside.

Aside from McJesus, I obviously would be happy with any of Marner/Strome/Hanifin. Like someone else said, I almost hope we end up 5th so we have to take who's left lol. With Nashville's pick... I really hope Jeremy Roy slips there.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Aside from McJesus, I obviously would be happy with any of Marner/Strome/Hanifin. Like someone else said, I almost hope we end up 5th so we have to take who's left lol. With Nashville's pick... I really hope Jeremy Roy slips there.

I agree with this.
I really hope we get Jeremy Roy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Pavel Zacha Scouting Report

Ht / Wt: 6-3 / 207
Position: Centre
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: April 6, 1997
Team: Sarnia Sting

Scouting Report: The kind of big, strong pivot That NHL clubs are looking for to dominate the middle of the ice. Not yet 18, but already plays a man's game, Aggressive and strong on the puck. Plays a mature, advanced game and works just as hard in the defensive and as he does on Offense. Relentless in puck pursuit and likes to Initiate contact. Uses size well to outmuscle defenders in puck battles and gain position around the slot. Has a heavy shot That he should use more often.

ZACHA REPORT CARD

Size / Strength A +
Skating B
Shot / Scoring ability B
A Puckhandling
Hockey Sense B +
Competitiveness A-
Physical play A-
Composure / B poise
Defence B

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Pavel Zacha Scouting Report

Ht / Wt: 6-3 / 207
Position: Centre
Shoots: Left
Birthdate: April 6, 1997
Team: Sarnia Sting

ZACHA REPORT CARD

Size / Strength A +
Skating B
Shot / Scoring ability B
A Puckhandling
Hockey Sense B +
Competitiveness A-
Physical play A-
Composure / B poise
Defence B

But he's going to be a winger!!!!

:sarcasm:

91Kadri91*

Someone I'm looking at right now is Veeti Vainio. He's PPG in the FIN U-20 league and a right-shot. If we want someone on defense, I'd look at him. Especially late. Round 1 should be when we get a really good center and defenseman, round 3-7 we need to find gems and guys whom could round out the pool (including a goalie or two). Vainio, along with guys like Pius Suter, are guys I'm looking at to fill out our pool and replace some of the prospects we should be moving out.

Yes, please!

If he makes it to the fourth (or fifth depending on how the draft plays out) round, I really hope the Leafs take him.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
With the Nashville pick im hoping for either Colin White or jeremy Roy if one should fall or if nashville drops a couple spots in the standings.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I hope we pick Strome or Marner with our pick (unless we win the lottery); get Zacha and Konecny with 1st's from trading a couple of our core players (ie: Kessel and Phaneuf); and I like Roy with the Nashville pick. :yo:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I hope we pick Strome or Marner with our pick (unless we win the lottery); get Zacha and Konecny with 1st's from trading a couple of our core players (ie: Kessel and Phaneuf); and I like Roy with the Nashville pick. :yo:

So you dont want to make the playoffs then for 5 years?

Strome/Marner will go back for AT LEAST 1 more year. Seeing how the Ryan Strome has improved every year, I wouldnt be opposed to either playing out junior.

As for Zacha and Konecny, both are talented, but 3 years away at least.

Yeah they are all promising, but we cant be this bad for that long. Rebuilding requires a good culture, and if you strip everything down it takes longer to build the culture. Again, look at Edmonton. 5 years after drafting Hall we are FINLLY starting to see the culture.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009

Strome/Marner will go back for AT LEAST 1 more year. Seeing how the Ryan Strome has improved every year, I wouldnt be opposed to either playing out junior.

Yeah they are all promising, but we cant be this bad for that long. Rebuilding requires a good culture, and if you strip everything down it takes longer to build the culture. Again, look at Edmonton. 5 years after drafting Hall we are FINLLY starting to see the culture.

I'm in no rush if the Leafs are doing it right. Trading away Kessel and Phaneuf, imo, is the right thing for the Leafs to do. This is one of the deepest drafts since 2003. It will take a while for these kids to develop, but they have the skill and character to become something special for us.

That's all I ask of the Leafs management...draft and develop skilled, character guys and when they become NHL'ers, insulate them with quality veterans. Guys who will show 'em the ropes in the bigs and allow them to grow into their roles with the Leafs.:nod:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

And what do you propose exactly ? I think its pretty clear this core isn't going to work, and some/most/all? will be shipped out this summer, and a rebuild is expected. Waiting 5 years is fine if we do it right and is worth it at the end.

Or do you want us to keep our core and do another quick retool ? 6 times the charm?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Yes, please!

If he makes it to the fourth (or fifth depending on how the draft plays out) round, I really hope the Leafs take him.
Anyone have a story on this kid (Pius Suter)? Great numbers, adequate size, succeeding in the OHL as a centre, why is he expected to go 4th~ round?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Not a fan of Konecny, and there are better options than Zacha.

If you are trading proven assets to get into that top 12, i'd like to see the Leafs come away with one of Rantanen (especially)/Crouse/Barzal/Connor

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not a fan of Konecny, and there are better options than Zacha.

If you are trading proven assets to get into that top 12, i'd like to see the Leafs come away with one of Rantanen (especially)/Crouse/Barzal/Connor

I would like a Strome/Provorov, Strome/Werenski, or a Strome/Rantanen combo

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I would like a Strome/Provorov, Strome/Werenski, or a Strome/Rantanen combo
You really can't go wrong.

I doubt Kessel or Phaneuf squeak you into the top 7~, which is where I see Provorov going, maybe Werenski. I'd be over the moon if management managed to nab Connor or Rantanen, in addition to Strome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad