Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion [continued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I want to see Marner vs. Strome here quantified on the Leafs board. Please vote. If you had to make a choice today, who would it be? Maybe we can do this again down the road post-lottery and the day before the draft (if we end up with 4th).

No other options. Not McEichel. Not Hanifin. Not Barzal, Werenski, Provorov etc... No trading up, down or away. No "Marner if they decide Nylander will be a C" or anything like that. No "neither but I guess if I have to choose, I'll pick x."

If the draft were today and we have 4th overall. The choice is between Marner and Strome.

Mods, please don't move this to the draft thread, it gets lost in the shuffle.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm a Strome guy.

I like Marner in pretty much every way. I think he seems to be a terrific guy and a terrific player, and is the better prospect at this point.

I do think that the transition to NHL will favor Strome, once he deals with his skating. I think that his particular combination of strengths will be more valuable to an NHL team.

It's a very slight edge though. I honestly don't care much either way between these two.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I would draft Strome.

I wrote this before in the rebuilding thread. I don't know why I've cottoned onto this kid so much. I don't watch a lot of Junior hockey so I basically get all my information via TSN/Sportsnet and talking to you guys. But I heard Strome's interview on on Leafs Lunch and I basically said "He sounds like a good egg, very smart, articulate, etc, so I hope we draft him."

[then i found out he's a tall centre] :D

I think a lot of his flaws are something that can be addressed through development. His skating is an issue, so he can work with it (there's a reason why we have Barb Underhill). It gives size to our top six lines to compliment our playmaking players we already have in the system, and i've heard he can really slow the game down and he's got great hockey IQ.

that's where my vote would go but i wouldn't be mad at any decision.

buttman*

I would draft Strome.

I wrote this before in the rebuilding thread. I don't know why I've cottoned onto this kid so much. I don't watch a lot of Junior hockey so I basically get all my information via TSN/Sportsnet and talking to you guys. But I heard Strome's interview on on Leafs Lunch and I basically said "He sounds like a good egg, very smart, articulate, etc, so I hope we draft him."

[then i found out he's a tall centre] :D

I think a lot of his flaws are something that can be addressed through development. His skating is an issue, so he can work with it (there's a reason why we have Barb Underhill). It gives size to our top six lines to compliment our playmaking players we already have in the system, and i've heard he can really slow the game down and he's got great hockey IQ.

that's where my vote would go but i wouldn't be mad at any decision.

There are players without flaws at the pick.

Durkin67

I want to see Marner vs. Strome here quantified on the Leafs board. Please vote. If you had to make a choice today, who would it be? Maybe we can do this again down the road post-lottery and the day before the draft (if we end up with 4th).

No other options. Not McEichel. Not Hanifin. Not Barzal, Werenski, Provorov etc... No trading up, down or away. No "Marner if they decide Nylander will be a C" or anything like that. No "neither but I guess if I have to choose, I'll pick x."

If the draft were today and we have 4th overall. The choice is between Marner and Strome.

Mods, please don't move this to the draft thread, it gets lost in the shuffle.

I don't know. Im leaning toward Strome, but really, I'd like to see the Leafs flip the pick to EDM with Kadri and maybe Bernier and take Draisaitl plus Yak, along with Scrivens, and maybe a pick. I like Scrivvy. Then I'd trade Yak to MTL to reunite him with Galy, and take Gallagher and a prospect or a 2nd.

Kadri is going to be too expensive to keep, and he's probably dying to leave and thumb his nose at MLSE. Hd's likely had enough of this gong show, and his agent will price him out of the market.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can't go wrong with either but IMO, Marner has more top end talent.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Strome for me, but really it's so close that i'd be thrilled with either.

Finishing 4th last is so crucial, guaranteeing one of Hanifan/Strome/Marner.

Finishing 5th last and getting bumped to 6th would be a bit of a downer.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I don't know. Im leaning toward Strome, but really, I'd like to see the Leafs flip the pick to EDM with Kadri and maybe Bernier and take Draisaitl plus Yak, along with Scrivens, and maybe a pick. I like Scrivvy. Then I'd trade Yak to MTL to reunite him with Galy, and take Gallagher and a prospect or a 2nd.

Kadri is going to be too expensive to keep, and he's probably dying to leave and thumb his nose at MLSE. Hd's likely had enough of this gong show, and his agent will price him out of the market.

Sooner make our pick and if need be, trade those two separately.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
I think its realistic to compare Strome to being a Jonathan Toews like player. Great defensively and offensively. Marner's comparison being a Claude Giroux. Elite offensively, okay defensively.

Id much rather take the two-way guy.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I voted Strome. But ask me again tomorrow and I might choose Marner. It's very back and forth for me. I don't think I will be disappointed come draft day.

I think Marner has a slight edge for offensive ceiling and overall skill, but Strome is the Center and he's big. He's a slow-it-down, possession type of player that we need. Due to his size I believe his style will translate a little easier to the NHL.

I will say that I think the chances of Marner being a 1C in the NHL is near zero. If he isn't good enough to bump for that spot in the OHL, I don't think he will in the NHL.

If I'm in on the interviews, personality would play a bigger role for me then usual. Being a guy that had maturity issues as a young man I have a lot of faith in a mans ability to mature and grow constantly as a man and leader. I don't doubt that even a guy like Kadri or Kessel can be looked at eventually as a positive role model for younger players, but at this time in the organizations development, I'd weigh desire and mental toughness a little higher with this selection. Whoever we end up with will be looked at as a key piece for the future until they're off the team.

If we're at 4 come draft time, this will be as important a selection as any Leaf team has made.

Durkin67

Sooner make our pick and if need be, trade those two separately.

In that case, Is Strome a better option than Draisaitl? I kinda like the gritty Thornton clone with an extra year of development under his belt...

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
In that case, Is Strome a better option than Draisaitl? I kinda like the gritty Thornton clone with an extra year of development under his belt...

I don't think he has as much talent as Strome, and definitely not as much as Marner. Both big and both not great skaters, although I don't think it's as big a deal as some. He is a bit more physical though

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In a vacuum where the only options are Strome or Mariner I would lean toward taking the big center.

I do have some reservations about Strome's skating ability at present but believe that can be improved with proper direction and the right trainers.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We look like it will be 4th last finish for us. As long as we get minimum fourth we are doing great.Even fifth only allows another team to decide between Strome and Marner. I would take either. Tough call deciding that one.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Marner. Strome's lack of quickness concerns me. We can no longer afford to draft guys with deficiencies we hope can be fixed. They usually aren't with this organization. Speed should be a prerequisite of every Leaf pick from now on.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Marner. Strome's lack of quickness concerns me. We can no longer afford to draft guys with deficiencies we hope can be fixed. They usually aren't with this organization. Speed should be a prerequisite of every Leaf pick from now on.

Not that I disagree, but wouldn't the size (or lack thereof) of Marner not be considered a deficiency as well?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

just book the kid some power skating with barb and he should be good to go in ~2 years. people said these types of things about tavares and he doesnt seem to be having many problems at the nhl level. obviously strome is not tavares but the kid is skilled enough the proper skating instruction and coaching can get him to the next level.

there are very few players who are perfect when they get drafted. 17/18 year old kids need to develop into nhl players. that is why there are development leagues.

imo if given a choice between strome and marner i take strome 10 out of 10 times. i think all things equal the center > winger. stromes speed is under rated. many people appear to be going slow but still are moving pretty quick.

maybe im just optimistic but stromes speed doesnt concern me nearly as much as marner being small.

i also wouldnt be bummed if we went off the board and took provorov at 4. rielly-provorov would be pretty sick.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
just book the kid some power skating with barb and he should be good to go in ~2 years. people said these types of things about tavares and he doesnt seem to be having many problems at the nhl level. obviously strome is not tavares but the kid is skilled enough the proper skating instruction and coaching can get him to the next level.

there are very few players who are perfect when they get drafted. 17/18 year old kids need to develop into nhl players. that is why there are development leagues.

imo if given a choice between strome and marner i take strome 10 out of 10 times. i think all things equal the center > winger. stromes speed is under rated. many people appear to be going slow but still are moving pretty quick.

maybe im just optimistic but stromes speed doesnt concern me nearly as much as marner being small.

i also wouldnt be bummed if we went off the board and took provorov at 4. rielly-provorov would be pretty sick.

I think no matter who your choice, Strome, Marner or like you I would not be sad with Proporov or Hanifin if he fell. If Marner is projected as a winger tho like you said centre and Dman should all things being equal be drafted ahead of him.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I voted Strome. But ask me again tomorrow and I might choose Marner. It's very back and forth for me. I don't think I will be disappointed come draft day.

"And with the 4th overall selection the Toronto Maple Leafs select Lawson Crouse"

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If many scouts are keeping Strome high on the list despite the skating "issues", then I don't see a problem with it down the road.

I don't care who they draft at that spot, because either choice will be solid.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
"And with the 4th overall selection the Toronto Maple Leafs select Lawson Crouse"

If the Leafs mentality would be to think about who could step into the lineup next year and there not be a huge drop off, then Crouse is your guy. Big body, powerful skater that could handle the NHL at 18.

If the Leafs are thinking long term who fits the organization better, then Strome/Marner is the pick.

goleafsgo88

Oct 6, 2010
Let's get our #1C. How many years did we spend trying to get one to play with Kessel?

We kicked some tires with O'Reilly (who isn't even a #1C). A couple of pipe dreams that were never going to come to fruition (Tavares, Stamkos).

Strome for me. If he's gone, then Marner/Hanifin make great consolation prizes but only if Strome is gone. I'd be "alright" with McDavid too.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
If the Leafs mentality would be to think about who could step into the lineup next year and there not be a huge drop off, then Crouse is your guy. Big body, powerful skater that could handle the NHL at 18.

If the Leafs are thinking long term who fits the organization better, then Strome/Marner is the pick.

I really like the guy. He does a lot of things very well and for playing on a ridiculous defensive team where he had 20 some odd goals. Put him with a good player, which now apparently is a minus for him, although both Marner/Strome also do, and he shows he has offense as well. Who knows, had Bennett not been injured all season he might have twice the points he has now to go along with all the other things and we're hoping he drops. Circumstance can change a lot of things. He didn't however, so we're left to debate Hanifin, Strome, and Marner with Barzal and Provorov entering the fray more and more. Barzal is another one. Change the circumstance for him as well and the rankings might be

McDavid
Eichel
Barzal
Crouse
Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

Joe Thornton clone? You realize Draisaitl is 6'1 right? Thornton is 6'4, that's a significant difference, and Strome is taller (6'2). And this is the same Draisaitl who's development was absolutely hindered this year when he was kept up to rot on the Oilers despite struggling, putting up 9 points in 37 games. Even now in junior, his PPG as a 19 year old in Kelowna is not as good as Strome's as a 17 year old (he just turned 18).

It boggles my mind that you even consider Draisaitl a better option than Strome in any way. :facepalm:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Strome>Marner only because we need a centre so badly to play with Phil and JVR.

Marner is sick though - the guy is crazy talented. Looks like a 40 goal scorer to me. Fast and agile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad