Prospect Info: 2015 NHL Draft Prospect Discussion [continued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah they are doing fine with one of the best Centers in the world. That's something we have not had in over a decade. Big distinction there. You have to build up the middle, not on the wing.

I don't disagree with the idea of building up the middle - but I don't think the leafs are in a position to pass up a talent on the level of Marner to draft an inferior prospect just because they play centre.

The leafs will be bad for a while. Lots of time to get that top line centre we all want t the draft.

Shwaguy*

People need to quit writing off Marner as a centre. Still not sure if I'd rather him or Strome. But Marner plays like a centre. Dvorak has been the centre of that line in name only.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
In addition, here are Dubas' picks from the priority draft in 2013 that are draft elible this year. Other than Speers and White, I don't any that would be drafted. Probably 3rd rd and later.

1st Blake Speers
2nd Colton White
3rd Zachary Senyshyn
4th Hayden Verbeek
5th Jake Behse

Senyshyn will go 2nd or 3rd round easily. His size, speed, and skill are too hard to pass on for any team.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Chicago seems to be doing just fine wih most of their core forwards as wingers, the Leafs Toews could be available next draft - I'd go Marner without thinking twice.

And you draft Marner, it makes trading Kessel (for more assets) less painful.

They're doing fine because they have a Selke calibre 1C

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
In addition, here are Dubas' picks from the priority draft in 2013 that are draft elible this year. Other than Speers and White, I don't any that would be drafted. Probably 3rd rd and later.

1st Blake Speers
2nd Colton White
3rd Zachary Senyshyn
4th Hayden Verbeek
5th Jake Behse

Senyshyn should definitely be drafted, IMO.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't disagree with the idea of building up the middle - but I don't think the leafs are in a position to pass up a talent on the level of Marner to draft an inferior prospect just because they play centre.

The leafs will be bad for a while. Lots of time to get that top line centre we all want t the draft.

Well a few things.

I don't think Strome is clearly an inferior prospect. Is he less skilled? Yes. Is skill the ONLY factor that decides how good a player is? Obviously no, otherwise Kessel would be a top 5-10 player in the league. Strome is a 6'2 highly skilled centre with very good vision. Those types of players can really control the pace of a game on both the offensive and defensive sides of the puck, and can be more important than superiorly skilled wingers in terms of helping to win championships.

We also might not be in a position to draft a Strome or better calibre centre anytime soon. We've been a bottom 10 team every single year since Sundin left except for one, and we've yet to land a top top centre prospect, so why assume we'll easily get one?

Especially when you factor in that all top 3 picks go to lottery next season. It takes a really really bad season to finish bottom 1-2 in the league, and now even if you do that, you could end up drafting outside of the top 3 picks.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

1st Blake Speers
2nd Colton White
3rd Zachary Senyshyn
4th Hayden Verbeek
5th Jake Behse

Seem to be some really nice prospects playing for the Greyhounds according to Kyle Woodlief (at least in January when the article was written).

-The Soo Greyhounds have a lot of interesting 2015 draft eligibles and the two who seem to garner the most interest and attention in NHL scouting circles are Blake Speers and huge defenseman Medric Mercier. But two other 'Hounds really intrigue us at Red Line.

The first is rugged winger Zach Senyshyn. He's strong physically and works the boards and corners with tenacity, and is a direct, north-south skater with above average speed. Most important, now he's hitting the scoresheet regularly - whether with his quick release, driving hard to net, or by picking up the garbage by being the last man standing in front of the opponent's net. And on the defensive side of the game, he comes back just as hard as he forechecks. This kid right now is just getting better and better.

But the true Red Line sleeper here is steady blue-liner Colton White. We hear zero buzz when we bring his name up in scouting circles, but Red Line's chief scout has taken a real shine to him. His game is so simple and mistake-free, and he just makes intelligent plays and sound decisions all across the ice. White makes safe plays with the puck and is willing to move up into the offensive flow, plus he's defensively aware and always picks up the right man in coverage.

Red Line might be the only ones pumping his tires, but we're going to try and get him drafted for sure.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...0/red-line-report-nhl-draft-january/22031677/

Shwaguy*

There's nothing conclusive that Marner is a better prospect than Strome.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seem to be some really nice prospects playing for the Greyhounds according to Kyle Woodlief (at least in January when the article was written).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...0/red-line-report-nhl-draft-january/22031677/

Senyshyn should definitely be drafted, IMO.

Redline Report(Kyle Woodlef)is one of the best draft guides in the business, who am I to argue. If they are intrigued by Senyshyn. It is funny for one of the best OHL teams this year, they have no high end prospects. Found this interesting.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
How does Hanifin compare to Seth Jones?
Who would go higher, if they were both in this draft?

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
If we want marnr we will take him and hunter would tell his brother to put him at center the whole season. And I have no doubt he would excel at it. At this point, Marner or Strome and I will be so happy.

BUT we are winning the lottery so...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well a few things.

I don't think Strome is clearly an inferior prospect. Is he less skilled? Yes. Is skill the ONLY factor that decides how good a player is? Obviously no, otherwise Kessel would be a top 5-10 player in the league. Strome is a 6'2 highly skilled centre with very good vision. Those types of players can really control the pace of a game on both the offensive and defensive sides of the puck, and can be more important than superiorly skilled wingers in terms of helping to win championships.

We also might not be in a position to draft a Strome or better calibre centre anytime soon. We've been a bottom 10 team every single year since Sundin left except for one, and we've yet to land a top top centre prospect, so why assume we'll easily get one?

Especially when you factor in that all top 3 picks go to lottery next season. It takes a really really bad season to finish bottom 1-2 in the league, and now even if you do that, you could end up drafting outside of the top 3 picks.

There's nothing conclusive that Marner is a better prospect than Strome.

My initial reply, was to the Mentalists suggestion that if the leafs picks at #5 and Strome is drafted before then, should they trade back and draft Zacha or Barzal (and Marner in my view, is considerably better than either of them)

I personally prefer Strome over Marner if given the option.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
My initial reply, was to the Mentalists suggestion that if the leafs picks at #5 and Strome is drafted before then, should they trade back and draft Zacha or Barzal (and Marner in my view, is considerably better than either of them)

I personally prefer Strome over Marner if given the option.

I like what I have seen of Marner but I am not sure he is considerably better then Barzal. Barzal from reading scouting reports and watching what I could find on him reminds me of Jonathon Toews a bit.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
A couple of updated mock drafts from the guys at NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=759581

TOP 5:
1. BUFFALO
Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)

McDavid, regarded as the best player to come through the draft since Sidney Crosby, has incredible speed with game-changing potential. Was among the OHL scoring leaders despite missing six weeks because of a broken hand and the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship. His 11 points in seven games tied for the WJC tournament lead, helped Canada win the gold medal and earned him a spot on the tournament all-star team.

2. ARIZONA
Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (H-EAST)

The 18-year-old freshman was named Hockey East Player of the Year and Hockey East Rookie of the Year. He was named Hockey East Tournament MVP after he had six goals and 11 points in four games. He leads NCAA hockey with 42 assists, 66 points, a 1.83 point-per-game average, a plus-46 rating and 22 power-play points.

3. EDMONTON
Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL)

A big, strong skater with the agility, reach and pedigree NHL scouts crave. He led the OHL with 84 assists and 129 points in 68 games as Erie's second-line center behind McDavid. Has been compared to former NHL player Keith Primeau for his ability to protect the puck and circle low.

4. TORONTO
Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (H-EAST)

The player many consider the best defenseman in the draft has five goals, 23 points and 47 blocked shots in 36 games as a freshman with the Eagles. He excels in the defensive zone and is rarely out of position. An exceptional skater and smart in transition.

5. CAROLINA
Lawson Crouse, LW, Kingston (OHL)

Played a key fourth-line role for Canada at the 2015 WJC. The 6-4, 211-pound left-shot forward is engaged physically each time he steps on the ice. A prototypical hard-hitting power forward, he led the Frontenacs with 29 goals and 51 points in 56 games.

25. TORONTO
Evgeny Svechnikov, LW, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

A power forward with decent speed and balance, good offensive hockey sense and creative instincts. At 6-2 and 199 pounds, Svechnikov considers his game similar to that of the Pittsburgh Penguins' Evgeni Malkin. In his first North American season he was third on Cape Breton with 32 goals and 78 points.

1. BUFFALO
Connor McDavid, C, Erie (OHL)

The top talent in this year's draft class, the 6-foot, 175-pound forward finished third in the OHL in scoring with 120 points and tied for fourth with 44 goals despite playing 21 fewer games than the league leader. A generational talent.

2.ARIZONA
Jack Eichel, C, Boston University (H-EAST)

The 6-2, 196-pound forward has dominated against older competition as a college freshman, leading the NCAA in points, assists and plus/minus. He's also excelled in important games, winning MVP of the Hockey East Tournament.

3.EDMONTON
Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (H-EAST)

The 6-2, 203-pound college freshman has been considered the best draft-eligible defenseman all season and nothing he's shown to this point has changed any opinions. Can carry the puck and make smart decisions in the offensive end but also skates well enough to be reliable in the defensive zone.

4.TORONTO
Dylan Strome, C, Erie (OHL)

Ended the regular season with a flourish to win the OHL scoring title. Showed versatility by moving to the wing to play with McDavid. Excelled on his own, with 14 goals and 29 points in 20 games McDavid was out injured and during the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship. Also can kill penalties.

5. CAROLINA
Mitchell Marner, C, London (OHL)

His size won't impress but his skill certainly does. With his size (5-11, 155), skill set and London pedigree, it's easy to compare Marner to the Chicago Blackhawks' Patrick Kane.

25. TORONTO
Colin White, C, USA U-18 (USHL)

Considered one of best skaters in the draft class, and is tough to knock off the puck once he gets it on his stick. The 6-foot, 183-pound forward can use his speed to create chances or break up plays in the defensive zone.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
^ My concern now is that Strome's stock is rising so much he may be going at #3. Would really like Colin White with Nashville's pick though and Svechnikov looks pretty good too.

I like what I have seen of Marner but I am not sure he is considerably better then Barzal. Barzal from reading scouting reports and watching what I could find on him reminds me of Jonathon Toews a bit.

I like Barazal too: but it is noticeable that Marner more than doubled Barzal's point totals with only 19 more games played.

Shwaguy*

Svechnikov with Nashville's pick would be great but I'd be surprised if he's still on the board.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
^ My concern now is that Strome's stock is rising so much he may be going at #3. Would really like Colin White with Nashville's pick though and Svechnikov looks pretty good too.

I have that concer too, but assuming Edmonton picks in the top three they can't possibly pass on Hanifin, can they?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I have that concer too, but assuming Edmonton picks in the top three they can't possibly pass on Hanifin, can they?

Exactly. It would be the stupidest thing that organization could do. Everyone says they need defense, even the organization knows it. Hanifin is suppose to be the unanimous #3 pick in this draft.

Why would they bother picking Strome at 3? It would be unbelievable if they did tbh. They have RNH and Leon already, and adding another forward to that team with a brutal d core would be ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks Edmonton passes on Hanifin is out to lunch. And it Edmonton does pass on Hanifin ownership has to step in and can everyone in that group.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't put anything passed Edmonton - probably the worst managed team in the league at this point. Still, my gut says they'll go with Hanifin (who i believe is BPA at #3).

If they were smart, they'd let it be known to whomever is picking #4 and 5, that they plan on drafting Strome and if the others want him, they'll have to pay a hefty price to move up.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I wouldn't put anything passed Edmonton - probably the worst maanged team in the league at this point. My gut says they'll go with Hanifin (who i still believe is BPA at #3).

But, if they were smart, they'd let it be known to whomever is picking #4 and 5, that they plan on drafting Strome and if the others want him, they'll have to pay a hefty price to move up.

But then doesn't the 4 spot just laugh and pick Hanifin while 5th just takes Marner like it is projected to be?

I don't think anyone would bite.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I wouldn't put anything passed Edmonton - probably the worst maanged team in the league at this point. My gut says they'll go with Hanifin (who i still believe is BPA at #3).

But, if they were smart, they'd let it be known to whomever is picking #4 and 5, that they plan on drafting Strome and if the others want him, they'll have to pay a hefty price to move up.

If Edmonton "threatens" to draft Strome, then I think it's an easy answer for the GM who picks next. Just take Hanifin. I could be wrong, but I doubt experienced GMs are going to be fooled by such a bluff.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

Listen I thought they were a LOCK to pick Ryan Murray. Nope Yakupov. Who knows what EDM is thinking.

I wouldn't put anything passed Edmonton - probably the worst managed team in the league at this point. Still, my gut says they'll go with Hanifin (who i believe is BPA at #3).

If they were smart, they'd let it be known to whomever is picking #4 and 5, that they plan on drafting Strome and if the others want him, they'll have to pay a hefty price to move up.

If I am Nonis I just look at Hunter and the scouts and ask "That Hanafin guy can play some quality hockey right?" and just tell EDM we will stick in the 4 spot thank you.

I mean don't get me wrong I would LOVE a big center but I would LOVE a young promising defenseman just as much. Both are extremely hard to get and both are needed in order to make a cup contending team.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Would love to see Strome with our first pick this year, and Matthews next year.

Our 1-2-3 down the middle would be unreal, with Matthews/Strome/Kadri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad