Speculation: 2015 NHL Deadline Rumor Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Because of having one year remaining on his contract, Coburn won't be sought after for a playoff rental and non-playoff teams won't need him. If he gets moved it won't be by Monday but in the offseason.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Because of having one year remaining on his contract, Coburn won't be sought after for a playoff rental and non-playoff teams won't need him. If he gets moved it won't be by Monday but in the offseason.

I have a hard time believing that the extra year would be a problem.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
The cap isn't going up much next year. Most playoff teams are up against it, I don't think he's that good for teams to acquire the extra year against their cap going forward.

I don't really understand the logic of this argument. The going rate on the open market for defensemen of Coburn's pedigree is much higher than what Coburn currently earns. That extra year would for sure be highly valued by teams with cap space. Where do you think teams interested in Coburn will get defensive help in the offseason? Trade or UFA? Why not make a move now to secure the roster, in part, for now and next season?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The cap isn't going up much next year. Most playoff teams are up against it, I don't think he's that good for teams to acquire the extra year against their cap going forward.

That's why I think Anaheim makes the most sense. They have room.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Coburn's good enough to where the extra year won't matter. It really comes down to whether the return outweighs holding onto him going into the upcoming offseason.

Hextall likely has a price in mind & he won't move off it since he doesn't have to right now.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
I don't really understand the logic of this argument. The going rate on the open market for defensemen of Coburn's pedigree is much higher than what Coburn currently earns. That extra year would for sure be highly valued by teams with cap space. Where do you think teams interested in Coburn will get defensive help in the offseason? Trade or UFA? Why not make a move now to secure the roster, in part, for now and next season?

I agree but most of the teams with room don't need him by Monday. Most playoff teams are up against the cap and are looking for rentals. And there's no rush for non-playoff teams to trade for him by Monday.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind

This argument doesn't make sense. If you are trading for a guy because you think he'll legitimately help you win a cup in the year you trade for him, why would it matter that he's got an extra year left? That's like the team trading for Coburn is saying "ok we think Coburn will help us win a cup this year, but we aren't trading for him because even if we win the cup it'll leave us in worse cap shape for the following year". It makes no sense

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Coburn's good enough to where the extra year won't matter. It really comes down to whether the return outweighs holding onto him going into the upcoming offseason.

Hextall likely has a price in mind & he won't move off it since he doesn't have to right now.

I think his price is at the highest it will be. Can't imagine it going up in the offseason. Sell now.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
This argument doesn't make sense. If you are trading for a guy because you think he'll legitimately help you win a cup in the year you trade for him, why would it matter that he's got an extra year left? That's like the team trading for Coburn is saying "ok we think Coburn will help us win a cup this year, but we aren't trading for him because even if we win the cup it'll leave us in worse cap shape for the following year". It makes no sense

You clearly missed the part of my post that said "I don't think he's good enough for teams to acquire the extra year".

ETA: I just read this on twitter: "If all the rentals are gone by tomorrow, teams may have look at players with term". Maybe it's possible if someone gets desperate.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Draft weekend gets GM's all itchy as well. I don't think it's imperative to move Coburn right now.

Yeah, true... All these firsts getting thrown around just gets me really excited. :laugh: I can't imagine it'd get as crazy as it is right now.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
Posted this on the main board. What about Coburn to Tampa for their 2015 1st and two 3rds?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
in that case we should be offering to retain salary.

Buying a 2015 first is better than a 2016 first.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

The extra year will limit the number of teams that would be interested in him but not every playoff team is in cap trouble for next year either. Without capgeek, it is hard to see what teams have going into next season but I believe Calgary could easily fit him since their big name guys don't need to be signed until 2016.

If I had a guess, I think the issue is the price. Hextall probably wants at least a 1st with a plus. The teams that haven't moved their 1st round pick probably don't want to. Calgary isn't guaranteed a playoff spot and still rebuilding. Yzerman said his 1st round picks are off the table. Bob Murray has a reputation of being hard to trade with in that he always has to clearly win the deal so to speak.

jka*

We could trade Coburn for Gustavsson Phi-Det trial or Rinne for Gustavsson for Coburn one trial with Phi-Pre-Wings. One world class finnish goalie for us in eastern series and Wings need Coburn(again?) and Gustavsson to Predators. Rinne have five year left before he ending career and it is in Flyers I hoped one five year contract 3.5+3.5+4+4+5 million Dollar per year I hoped. 20 million dollar deal in five year contract for one great finnish goalie. Yeah.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Be careful out there, the photoshops are starting!!!

16657004706_770da654dc_z.jpg

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We could trade Coburn for Gustavsson Phi-Det trial or Rinne for Gustavsson for Coburn one trial with Phi-Pre-Wings. One world class finnish goalie for us in eastern series and Wings need Coburn(again?) and Gustavsson to Predators. Rinne have five year left before he ending career and it is in Flyers I hoped one five year contract 3.5+3.5+4+4+5 million Dollar per year I hoped. 20 million dollar deal in five year contract for one great finnish goalie. Yeah.

What did I just read?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

wat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad