GDT: 2015 Memorial Cup Thread- Final starts at 7:00pm EST

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Great end to Big Mac's junior career. He played a huge part in their success and will continue to do so with his next team.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Well deserved for Oshawa, they were the most consistent team in the tournament. Their dept really helped them, having three quality pair on defense does wonder in a tournament like that after a very long season. Nice way to end a junior career for Big Mac :nod:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
McCarron will definitely have to work on his skating to have a chance to do well at the NHL level. His size and reach are things that we need but I still feel like he might need a year or two in the AHL to get used to the speed of the game.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
McCarron will definitely have to work on his skating to have a chance to do well at the NHL level. His size and reach are things that we need but I still feel like he might need a year or two in the AHL to get used to the speed of the game.

his skating is good, he needs to work on his passing and his puck control in general

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I'm hoping he's going to train with Pacioretty this summer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Congrats to Oshawa! Heck of a Memorial Cup and playoff run for McCarron though, too bad he couldn't put the puck in the net tonight but 5 game winners in the post season while playing good two way hockey. :yo::handclap:

his skating is good, he needs to work on his passing and his puck control in general

I don't have any major concerns with his skating other then working on his lower body strength. His passing is very underrated overall.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Big Mac has developed by leaps and bounds from last year. We Habs fans should be ecstatic with having this kid in our organization

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I've been a gens fan ever since my dad brought me out to a game when I was 5 or 6. So happy for them right now.

This years iteration of the generals has been one of the most dominant teams I've ever seen. Probably second behind Canada 2014. They completely dominated the OHL this year and that record is no fluke. Well deserved win for the Gens.

Also, fire Lefebvre and hire DJ Smith. That's the kind of coach you want on your AHL squad.

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
BigMac will steal DSP spot before the 1st snowstorm. Book it.

McCarron had a good memorial cup run and Habs fans should be happy with the way he's improved since last year, but let's not get carried away...

To be fair, DSP was dominant in the OHL and also had his share of success when he played in the memorial cup.

That said, the NHL is not the juniors. Big Mac still has a lot of work to do if he wants to enjoy success playing in the big men's league.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
McCarron has 3 things to work on in my eyes: conditioning, his first step, and the quickness of his release. Luckily he can kill two birds with one stone as I believe once he improves his conditioning his first step will be more explosive.
He has an almost elite wrister, and once he learns to get it off a little quicker it will be a very valuable weapon in the NHL. As Montreal said before, his passing game is underrated.

edit:

GEkMIWz.png

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have liked Ryan Graves tournament. I hope we invite him to a camp.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Thought you really didn't like him in the past.

What 1 year does....;) Still not saying he's a NHL all-star...but at least deserve a callup. I still don't see the NHL upside...but he might very well be a capable AHL'er. And then...who knows?

Wasn't he drafted by the Rangers last year?

edit: 2 years ago. was he not signed, then?

I didn't think he was...but you must be right. He has to have been signed.

Last edited by a moderator:

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
McCarron has 3 things to work on in my eyes: conditioning, his first step, and the quickness of his release. Luckily he can kill two birds with one stone as I believe once he improves his conditioning his first step will be more explosive.
He has an almost elite wrister, and once he learns to get it off a little quicker it will be a very valuable weapon in the NHL. As Montreal said before, his passing game is underrated.

edit:

GEkMIWz.png

Agreed, his conditionning and first step are his biggest challenges if he wants to play in the NHL next year, hes a good skater on long distances (forecheck/backcheck,etc.) but it takes him too long to get going which is understandable given his weight.

His balance is already looking a lot better than a year back, you can tell hes a lot stronger and has an easier time carrying his weight around, i think he'll be a huge asset in a couple years when he's fully grown up, I really like what Im seeing in him already but I hope he understands how crucial his fitness will be in order to become the player he can be, he could be a star if he can make his skating more effortless.

He really knows how to use his body in his favor when handling the puck ala JumboJoe, obviously doesnt have the IQ and vision of JJ but he looks like he'll be huge for us, at worse I think he'll be a dominant shutdown guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad