2015 Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup (Traverse City Prospect Tournament) 9/11-9/15

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Day #3 vs Rags.

Today's game had all the intensity of study hall on the last day of school. As some speculated, the CBJ had already locked up a place in the title game tomorrow. They did not practice this morning and the afternoon event looked like "avoid injuries" hockey. 38 shots and no goals. Only with 8 minutes left in the game did the CBJ tilt the ice and possess the puck for about 6 minutes straight.

I'll share a couple individual observations, but don't get carried away. For perspective, re-read the opening sentence of this post.

Paul Bittner moves well for his size. I think Jarmo knew what he was doing when he grabbed him early in the second round. He needs some time and has some to develop properly. I'm so glad this team is past the days when roster spots could be had for this type of draft pick.

Milano can dangle and had people chasing the puck on his stick. Good vision, good decisions, but again, no real results today. I don't think he will stick out of camp, but between Bjorkstrand and him, they will get at least a cup of coffee this year. I have liked what I have seen out of Michael Paioletta this weekend. He will contribute at some point.

If you have ever considered attending this event you should do it some time. It is pretty cool to see all the front office types around. Bumped into Martin Brodure, saw Chris Chelios, Jim Nill, Ken Hitchcock, Mike Yeo, and other former players and current decision makers in the league. The area is beautiful with lots of wineries and craft brewers in the area.

Championship day tomorrow.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
If you have ever considered attending this event you should do it some time. It is pretty cool to see all the front office types around. Bumped into Martin Brodure, saw Chris Chelios, Jim Nill, Ken Hitchcock, Mike Yeo, and other former players and current decision makers in the league. The area is beautiful with lots of wineries and craft brewers in the area. .

I second this. I attended on Friday and Saturday and I was extremely impressed with the event and my wife and I fell in love with the Traverse City area. Would love to have a summer home up there at some point.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Jackets win the title for the second consecutive year. As if we needed another reason to get excited about this team's prospect pool.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
thanks for picking me up...got busy with kitchen renovation...

another big win, sucks to have missed it...happy for CBJP periscoping it tonight...

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Traverse City Wrap Up

When the team was announced, I was underwhelmed with the D men. To me, heatherington and Palioetta, were the only two of note. My impression was correct, but what I underestimated was how well the forwards helped out. Winning board battles in all 3 zones, getting loose pucks and stopping rushes, odd man and otherwise made the difference. Those comments are the 4 games overall but especially the final tonight. Korpisalo played huge. Yes, the offense was impressive, but a tip of the cap to the goalie. When the CBJ took 4 penalties and came out leading 2-1 after the first period, I had the sense that I could guess the end result. If you must have something to complain about, the PK was not good - until tonight.

Kirby Rychel was very good tonight. Nice scrap at the final buzzer to send the final message and stand u p for teammates. Sonny Milano was magic with puck control and passing, but Oliver Bjorkstrand was the MVP of the tournament for my money. The Detroit fans around me noticed too. Special mention to Josh Anderson. He will be an NHL player.

So speaking of that, I wrote down who off this team I think will be NHL regulars in the next 3 years. Here goes; Anderson, Bittner, Bjorkstrand, Milano and Rychel up front. Heatherington and Palioetta on the back. If you add in Warenski and Carlsson who weren't here, the D prospects are coming along. They need one or two more for my taste. Hats off to the scouts, the development team and Jarmo for the draft and develop job. This feels like a 180 from Doug. These people know what they are doing and get the benefit of the doubt from me.

The game tonight was obvious which team had 12 guys that won this event last year. Experience makes a huge difference. Winning is important.

Other thoughts; who ever taught Keegan Kolesar to body check should be hired by the CBJ-WOW! Can't make up my mind about Tynan, and Zaar, some good (speed) but wonder if they are too small for the NHL. If you forced me for two names of guys that could surprise with the upsides, I would say Keegan Kolesar up front and Oliver LeBlanc on the rear guard, but that is just a guess. Overall, this team was fast, they were getting to pucks and getting back where they were supposed to be quickly.

So glad I came to this event. Thanks for reading my post. Got my hockey fix that will last me until we drop,the puck for the season.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
When the team was announced, I was underwhelmed with the D men. To me, heatherington and Palioetta, were the only two of note. My impression was correct, but what I underestimated was how well the forwards helped out. Winning board battles in all 3 zones, getting loose pucks and stopping rushes, odd man and otherwise made the difference. Those comments are the 4 games overall but especially the final tonight. Korpisalo played huge. Yes, the offense was impressive, but a tip of the cap to the goalie. When the CBJ took 4 penalties and came out leading 2-1 after the first period, I had the sense that I could guess the end result. If you must have something to complain about, the PK was not good - until tonight.

Kirby Rychel was very good tonight. Nice scrap at the final buzzer to send the final message and stand u p for teammates. Sonny Milano was magic with puck control and passing, but Oliver Bjorkstrand was the MVP of the tournament for my money. The Detroit fans around me noticed too. Special mention to Josh Anderson. He will be an NHL player.

So speaking of that, I wrote down who off this team I think will be NHL regulars in the next 3 years. Here goes; Anderson, Bittner, Bjorkstrand, Milano and Rychel up front. Heatherington and Palioetta on the back. If you add in Warenski and Carlsson who weren't here, the D prospects are coming along. They need one or two more for my taste. Hats off to the scouts, the development team and Jarmo for the draft and develop job. This feels like a 180 from Doug. These people know what they are doing and get the benefit of the doubt from me.

The game tonight was obvious which team had 12 guys that won this event last year. Experience makes a huge difference. Winning is important.

Other thoughts; who ever taught Keegan Kolesar to body check should be hired by the CBJ-WOW! Can't make up my mind about Tynan, and Zaar, some good (speed) but wonder if they are too small for the NHL. If you forced me for two names of guys that could surprise with the upsides, I would say Keegan Kolesar up front and Oliver LeBlanc on the rear guard, but that is just a guess. Overall, this team was fast, they were getting to pucks and getting back where they were supposed to be quickly.

So glad I came to this event. Thanks for reading my post. Got my hockey fix that will last me until we drop,the puck for the season.
Stop. I can only get so excited.

Thanks for the wrap up post :)

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
To The Old Guy
Thanks for observation of the arena.
The positive emotion in you post make my day better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad