2015 Matthew Wuest Memorial Cup (Traverse City Prospect Tournament) 9/11-9/15

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Keep on believin'.

So, can trades not be made? I don't recall anywhere where I said I wanted to make a trade or I thought a trade would be made. The fact is, if someone forces their way onto the team, we can make a trade to make room for them.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So, can trades not be made? I don't recall anywhere where I said I wanted to make a trade or I thought a trade would be made. The fact is, if someone forces their way onto the team, we can make a trade to make room for them.

sure, but not likely with the players you listed.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Using that link i was looking at weights (hoping to see Bjorkstrand a little higher) and noticed Heatherington is at 220... Thats crazy, never thought he'd get up there because he looks to have more of a lean body type. 190'2 to 220 since the draft, good stuff

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Using that link i was looking at weights (hoping to see Bjorkstrand a little higher) and noticed Heatherington is at 220... Thats crazy, never thought he'd get up there because he looks to have more of a lean body type. 190'2 to 220 since the draft, good stuff

Saw elsewhere that Milano is up to 205. Surprised me.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Update after 2 games

Hello from Traverse City. I have had the pleasure of attending the tournament and watching the first two CBJ games. I'm slow on getting up,a post of my observations, but wanted to share some thoughts.

The first game against St. Louis started slow and ragged. The fact that this group only practiced twice together was obvious in period 1. When they skated out for the opening face off, I thought TJ Tynan, looked small and wondered if he could center the top line. When he scored after 38 second, I thought, I should not judge a book by its cover and realize that the pros know what they are doing and I don't. The shots were 7-9 Blues after 1 period but the game ended 32-20 CBJ. They only gave up 11 in two periods and only 4 in the final period. This defense is better than I thought. D. heatherington looks very good. I doubt he will make the big club, but he should grow into a very nice shut-down, minute munching D man.

Both games have had similarities. CBJ score first, but fall behind. The goals typically result from penalties and gaffes, of the mental kind.

One Minnesota goal was when Milano feathers a pass back into his own zone for S. Roupp to start the play, but Roupp was doubled over in pain. The MN forward picked up the puck off the boards and skated in alone and scored. CBJ had no chance. Roupp missed a couple shifts but returned. On the short handed goal, Jonas K played the puck and did not clear it to the side boards. Just a weak effort to move it 5 feet to his left. It was gobbled up and put past him. Nick Moutrey has taken penalties and doesn't seem to spend the entire time in the box. He has come out early in both games as the opponents have scored. He scored against St. Louis, but has Looked both bad and good.

Bjorkstrand has been outstanding. His wicked wrister to score his 1st goal in period 3 was as good as anything I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see what he does as camp openes and he gets into pre-season games. If he is not ready for the NHL he is not far away. This kid is just that good!

Mike Reiley looked smooth and fluid for MN. I heard a couple boos when he touched the puck. CBJ had a nice collection of fans and there were a number of Franklin County license plates in the parking lot.

The CBJ take on the NYR today at 3:30. The Rangers are 0-2 so far having lost to both teams that CBJ have defeated. A win today puts the CBJ in the finals for the 2nd straight year. In the other division, DRW is also 2-0.

All the front office types are here from all 8 teams. Scouts are here from many teams that are not participating. Guys from the Jets and the Sens have been spotted in the hotel that I am at.

I'll try to put up more observations after today's Ranger game is over.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Thanks.

Aren't they already in the finals? The worst they can do is tie and they beat both of the other teams. Or is that not how they decide it?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Thanks.

Aren't they already in the finals? The worst they can do is tie and they beat both of the other teams. Or is that not how they decide it?

I don't know the tie-breaker system, but if they win today, they have to be in the finals. They could finish 2-1 and get in on some tie breaker. CBJ have 13 goals in 2 games, MN has 10 in 2. Stay tuned....film at 11:00.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yeah. I've seen others say they have to win to get in. I just figured they were pretty set as is.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
To The Old Guy
Thanks for observations. It is always interestind to read the opinion of fan who saw the games in the arena. Look forward to you observations after game vs. rags and then i hope after final game.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Hello from Traverse City. I have had the pleasure of attending the tournament and watching the first two CBJ games. I'm slow on getting up,a post of my observations, but wanted to share some thoughts.

The first game against St. Louis started slow and ragged. The fact that this group only practiced twice together was obvious in period 1. When they skated out for the opening face off, I thought TJ Tynan, looked small and wondered if he could center the top line. When he scored after 38 second, I thought, I should not judge a book by its cover and realize that the pros know what they are doing and I don't. The shots were 7-9 Blues after 1 period but the game ended 32-20 CBJ. They only gave up 11 in two periods and only 4 in the final period. This defense is better than I thought. D. heatherington looks very good. I doubt he will make the big club, but he should grow into a very nice shut-down, minute munching D man.

Both games have had similarities. CBJ score first, but fall behind. The goals typically result from penalties and gaffes, of the mental kind.

One Minnesota goal was when Milano feathers a pass back into his own zone for S. Roupp to start the play, but Roupp was doubled over in pain. The MN forward picked up the puck off the boards and skated in alone and scored. CBJ had no chance. Roupp missed a couple shifts but returned. On the short handed goal, Jonas K played the puck and did not clear it to the side boards. Just a weak effort to move it 5 feet to his left. It was gobbled up and put past him. Nick Moutrey has taken penalties and doesn't seem to spend the entire time in the box. He has come out early in both games as the opponents have scored. He scored against St. Louis, but has Looked both bad and good.

Bjorkstrand has been outstanding. His wicked wrister to score his 1st goal in period 3 was as good as anything I have ever seen. It will be interesting to see what he does as camp openes and he gets into pre-season games. If he is not ready for the NHL he is not far away. This kid is just that good!

Mike Reiley looked smooth and fluid for MN. I heard a couple boos when he touched the puck. CBJ had a nice collection of fans and there were a number of Franklin County license plates in the parking lot.

The CBJ take on the NYR today at 3:30. The Rangers are 0-2 so far having lost to both teams that CBJ have defeated. A win today puts the CBJ in the finals for the 2nd straight year. In the other division, DRW is also 2-0.

All the front office types are here from all 8 teams. Scouts are here from many teams that are not participating. Guys from the Jets and the Sens have been spotted in the hotel that I am at.

I'll try to put up more observations after today's Ranger game is over.

I appreciate the input. I would love to hear more about how specific players looked if possible - particularly Milano, Rychel, and Bittner. Nice to hear that Heatherington and Bjorkstrand looked good though. We can only hope Bjorkstrand continues to shine. I have big expectations for him this season and beyond.

I loved the good old days when George did play by play for this tournament.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I like the sounds of our prospects pool. Lets hope this goes the Red Wings method where we let them develop, fill in for injuries until there becomes a spot for them to join the big club. If we win a few playoff series, that should hopefully stop the fleeing to another organization at the first chance. If they see that they're becoming part of a winning organization, thats when they stick around and we have a surplus of available players that are ready for the NHL, not forced into it like Wennberg was last year

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yep, better hope that happens soon. We've had so many prospects "flee" to other organizations. :sarcasm:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
1-0 Rags...Clarke is in goal for us...

1 point secures championship game...but lack of getting blown out we should be facing DET tomorrow

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wow. Jackets lose 3-0. Shots were 38-24 in favor of CBJ. :amazed: goalie must have stood on his head.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
lose 4-0, still advance to championship game vs either Dallas or Detroit...

regulation winner, they move on, goes to OT, DET moves on no matter outcome

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
lose 4-0, still advance to championship game vs either Dallas or Detroit...

regulation winner, they move on, goes to OT, DET moves on no matter outcome

Damn when I last looked there was only a few minutes left, didn't think they'd score again. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad