Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
McClement is a good example. He has played 764 games in the NHL. If Carrick has that sort of career- which seems at least possible- than I think he's a better prospect than we currently have him rated.

The question here is not who we should draft (scorers or otherwise), but who of our current prospects are the best ones. Of course everyone uses their own criteria, which is fine.

All I'm saying is, for me, we likely have Carrick rated too low.

Time will tell of course.

Okay, okay, I'll pick Carrick, but you owe me a Bailey. :)

Carrick does deserve to be on there, it's just most slot him as a 4th liner & people are looking for top 6. I'd say the chances he is on the Leafs this year is pretty well close to 100%, so he should be slotted higher.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Verhaeghe seems to me like the kind of prospect who will be added to a trade. Not a bad prospect, just nothing really special about him, and with our newfound prospect depth, we can afford to ship a guy like that out as part of a package.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I feel like Carrick should be higher too, but when I look at the names we already picked I don't really see any that I think should be behind him instead.

I think I'd put him ahead of Granberg, but that's about it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McClement is a good example. He has played 764 games in the NHL. If Carrick has that sort of career- which seems at least possible- than I think he's a better prospect than we currently have him rated.

The question here is not who we should draft (scorers or otherwise), but who of our current prospects are the best ones. Of course everyone uses their own criteria, which is fine.

All I'm saying is, for me, we likely have Carrick rated too low.

Time will tell of course.

A guy like Carrick is already 23 and not an NHL regular yet.

To get to 700+ games he would need 9-10 full NHL seasons (based on injuries) so that would be from age 24-34.

I like Carrick as well, but he is a dime a dozen player that every NHL team has and so I'm not expecting a 10 year NHL career. He seems like a 4th line NHLer or an AHL tweener to me.

That is not only Carrick, but anyone that is this far on the prospect depth chart that is in this same long shot category .

If you only have 20 NHL jobs and your 20th on the teams prospect pool depth with 19 guys in front of you with more NHL potential waiting list, then as ULF pointed out all the NHL vets like McClemment types floating around that fill out spots it decreases the young players odds even more.

So once we get this deep into a prospect pool we're talking hail marry NHLers and those this far down need a lot of failure of those ranked higher with more potential to move on up.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
For me Gibson is being seriously under valued on here. He backstopped the Marlies into the playoffs last year and had a very good season. He is our best Goalie prospect and likely our back up if we move a goalie this off season or if a goalie gets hurt.

Also add Rupert, he is deserving of being a head of many that are on the board.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
It's probably getting silly that Sam Carrick still hasn't been voted in. I like our prospects but I'm not sure our pool is that deep. I can't tell if we're underrating Carrick (who seems like a pretty good bet to be an NHLer) or overrating many of our other prospects.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Carrick,

I would like to add Rupert (who is a good sign that our pool of prospects is pretty deep, given that he's a looking like a good little player, and he probably does belong fairly far down the list).

This, thanks for typing it for me :) :handclap:

maketrades

May 30, 2014
How is a guy like Carrick above guys who have actual potential? You can find guys like him in the ditch on the side of the highway.

Every player out of this draft should be ahead of him. Simply because we don't yet know that they won't be impact players. We know he won't.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This poll has confirmed to me just how underrated Tom Nilsson is on these boards.

He should be higher than he is, no doubt.
I guess it's just that injury derailed a good chunk of his first season with the Marlies, paired with the fact that his generally non-existent offence limits his upside as a top-pairing, or even 2nd pairing D-man. In terms of his core defensive game though, he could easily be the best that the Marlies have at the moment and should stand a very good chance of carving out a long and impact NHL career in his capacity.

He should be higher ... but it is easy to see how he falls this far with the pool getting as deep as it is.

I'm good with Carrick in this slot though as is being voted.
He plays his role very well and never quits on the play. Has leadership qualities and raises the game of those around him.
Should be able to put up some chippy points / effort points, and be big on the PK.
Also very strong on the face-off.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Okay, okay, I'll pick Carrick, but you owe me a Bailey. :)

Carrick does deserve to be on there, it's just most slot him as a 4th liner & people are looking for top 6. I'd say the chances he is on the Leafs this year is pretty well close to 100%, so he should be slotted higher.
:D

Bailey and Hyman are similar for me- good college players with an uncertain professional pedigree. A month or two could change my perspective radically, but for now they're both unknowns for me.

There are several prospects remaining where I feel I have a better read (at least for a fan).

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Sometimes i dont understand these rankings. Is it in terms of potential or likelihood to make the NHL or a combination of both? Considering Hymann is coming off a brilliant college season and is most likely making the jump next year, not sure why he hasnt been ranked yet.

Because people on here are morons who are voting based on nothing more than familiarity/hype.

It's a complete joke that a guy like Hyman would be rated lower than Carrick. He's five months younger and a WAY better player. Here's a prospect who's a *lock* for the NHL, yet we're rating him behind guys who are probably career AHLers. SMH. If Hyman starts in the AHL, he will easily outproduce scrubs like Leivo and Carrick.

Some people are suggesting his production was inflated by playing with Larkin. I respect them for at least having a justification for ranking him so low, but the fact of the matter is he outproduced Larkin and would surely still have done pretty well on his own.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Because people on here are morons who are voting based on nothing more than familiarity/hype.

It's a complete joke that a guy like Hyman would be rated lower than Carrick. He's five months younger and a WAY better player. Here's a prospect who's a *lock* for the NHL, yet we're rating him behind guys who are probably career AHLers. SMH. If Hyman starts in the AHL, he will easily outproduce scrubs like Leivo and Carrick.

Some people are suggesting his production was inflated by playing with Larkin. I respect them for at least having a justification for ranking him so low, but the fact of the matter is he outproduced Larkin and would surely still have done pretty well on his own.

I am one of those who believe his points were inflated by Larkin. I mean he played 4 seasons for Michigan, and he scored more in the final season (Only one with Larkin) than he did in his first 3 years there. He is definitely NHL ready, and in my mind way better than Carrack & Leivo (what a joke he's that high on our list) but I see him lower than Bailey and most of the other high end skill prospects we have at the moment, but until he proves that this season wasn't just an aberration caused by Larkin, I don't see him as a true top prospect.

Hope I'm wrong though, good Toronaa boy

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Yes Leivo is overrated. I cant believe why people here would take Carrick over guys like Dzierkals, Timashov, Korostelev, Lindgren, or even Hyman and Bailey.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

So if we have a different point-of-view, we're morons? Is that really the best we can do in our discussion around here?

This is all ultimately just guesswork and it's best (imo) to not take it too seriously. Hyman had good NCAA numbers last season, but so do a lot of prospects every year. The transition to the pro's is always uncertain and most take a longer road to the NHL if they get there at all. We've seen a lot of good NCAA players pass through our system without making it. I'm cheering for Hyman, obviously, but I'll wait and see how he does before calling him a "lock" for anything.

Carrick has proven to be an effective pro at the minor league level so he deserves credit for that certainly. But same thing- many good minor leaguers never make it. So we'll see.

Vote for who you like. Argue for your point of view. But I see no point in calling people morons just because they think differently.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Its crazy that we're arguing over which near-lock to make the NHL is our 20th best prospect when guys like Christian Hanson and Kenny Ryan were in our top 10 not so long ago.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Its crazy that we're arguing over which near-lock to make the NHL is our 20th best prospect when guys like Christian Hanson and Kenny Ryan were in our top 10 not so long ago.

Not be a pessimist, but in few years several of these guys are going to look like Kenny Ryan and Christian Hanson. :)

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Not be a pessimist, but in few years several of these guys are going to look like Kenny Ryan and Christian Hanson. :)

Which is OK! Its our 20th and onwards best guys, they're longshots that if they work out, its a luxury. 5-8 years ago we were counting on guys like them to be our youth core. Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson was supposed to be our 2nd line of the future.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Which is OK! Its our 20th and onwards best guys, they're longshots that if they work out, its a luxury. 5-8 years ago we were counting on guys like them to be our youth core. Stalberg-Bozak-Hanson was supposed to be our 2nd line of the future.

I agree it's okay. I think I'm just saying that our current level of excitement, while no doubt abnormally high (due to general excitement attached to the Shanahan era), is not all that different from our excitement in previous seasons. Once upon a time I was happy to sign Christian Hanson and hopeful Kenny Ryan would prove to be an effective player for us. Now I'm happy to sign Hyman and hopeful about Carrick.

But some of these guys are going to work out, I would think. We just don't know who.

Ultimately you have to be a bit obsessive to even be posting on these boards on a July day debating who is our 19th best prospect. I'm okay with my obsessiveness, though. :laugh:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Man our prospect pool is getting deep.

If Verhaeghe is our 20th best prospect then we are doing pretty well. Carter was voted to have one of the highest hockey IQ's in the OHL and has some nice offensive upside.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Man our prospect pool is getting deep.

If Verhaeghe is our 20th best prospect then we are doing pretty well. Carter was voted to have one of the highest hockey IQ's in the OHL and has some nice offensive upside.

I bet most teams have fans who feel the same way.

Realistically, these are the bluechippers:

Rankings:
1. Mitch Marner
2. William Nylander
3. Kasperi Kapanen

Buffalo:
Summer '15 Top 20
1. Jack Eichel, C - 105 of 116 votes (90.52%); runner up Sam Reinhart (9 votes)
2. Sam Reinhart, C - 124 of 126 votes (98.41%); runner up Cal Petersen (2 votes)
3. Jake McCabe, D - 91 of 118 votes (77.12%); runner up Hudson Fasching (15 votes)

Detroit:
1.) Dylan Larkin 18, C: 6'1" 193lbs. Waterford, MI, USA 94.00%
2.) Anthony Mantha 20, LW/RW: 6'4" 214 lbs. Longueuil, QC, CAN 71.09%
3.) Yevgeni Svechnikov 18, LW/C/RW 6'2" 201 lbs. Neftegorsk, RUS56.88%

Florida:
#1 Lawson Crouse 76%
#2 Michael Matheson 81%
#3 Rocco Grimaldi 75%
Ekblad ROY

Tampa Bay Lightning prospect rankings 2015
1. Andrei Vasilevskiy (85.71%)
2. Anthony DeAngelo (73.81%)
3. Slater Koekkoek (70.59%)
Nikita Nesterov (40.00%) Played in SCF

Carolina:
1. Hanifin
2. Fleury
3. Nedeljkovic
Elias Lindholm Regular Gauthier draft

Could go on and on.

At least now you/one can suggest the Leafs aren't bereft of prospects.

Things are starting to look like the team is interested in the future.

Filling the cupboards with grinders and testosterone didn't exactly move the franchise along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad