Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Mitch Marner -- 81.22%
2. William Nylander -- 97.50%
3. Kasperi Kapanen -- 51.18%
4. Connor Brown -- 80.00%
5. Stuart Percy -- 28.67%
6. Frederick Gauthier -- 29.64%
7. Andreas Johnson -- 32.43%
8. Jeremy Bracco -- 37.30 %
9. Travis Dermott -- 37.69%
10. Brendan Leipsic -- 40.74%
11. Scott Harrington -- 65.07%
12. Victor Loov -- 46.67%
13. Josh Leivo -- 36.84%
14. Rinat Valiev -- 40.94%
15. Antoine Bibeau -- 31.49%
16. Matt Finn -- 45.73%
17. Petter Granberg -- 19.59%
18. Nikita Soshnikov --19.05%

Dymtro Timashov
Zack Hyman
Christopher Gibson
Casey Bailey
Garrett Sparks
Martin Dzierkals
Dominic Toninato
Carter Verhaeghe
Nolan Vesey
Nikita Korostelev
Tom Nilsson
Sam Carrick
Andrew Nielson
Pierre Engvall
Jesper Lindgren

Fabrice Herzog
John Piccinich
Tony Cameranesi
Dakota Joshua
Ryan Rupert
Cody Donaghey
Stephan Desrocher
Byron Froese

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17
Prospect Ranking #18

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Ya looks good Schenn.

I am looking at the names and a couple years ago this could've been our top ten list still. They have increased the potential very well.

Nilsson for instance is still and unknown commodity - he is capable of playing a professional defensive style game really well. I think of the show he put on during the extended 3 on 5 situation in game #2 vs Grand Rapids this spring.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Voted Toninato.

I think Dakota Joshua is going to be the highest riser on this list from this year to next. He'll get major play at the rookie tournament, but will have a really solid year at Ohio State. He needs to be the next one up.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Sometimes i dont understand these rankings. Is it in terms of potential or likelihood to make the NHL or a combination of both? Considering Hymann is coming off a brilliant college season and is most likely making the jump next year, not sure why he hasnt been ranked yet.

Would also like to add... this is one incredibly deep prospect pool.. Wow

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Sometimes i dont understand these rankings. Is it in terms of potential or likelihood to make the NHL or a combination of both? Considering Hymann is coming off a brilliant college season and is most likely making the jump next year, not sure why he hasnt been ranked yet.

Yeah it's actually at least 30 deep of legit prospects. Insane

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well for some it isn't ceiling as they've selected Carrick who might one day be a 3rd. or 4th. liner, and Korostelev a potential top liner is still onboard.

Odds are Carrick will get a few cups of coffee in the NHL, whereas Korostelev is a long ball, could be a fly-out or a homerun, unlikely anything in the middle.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think Lindberg has some great upside, and with a couple of years in the SHL - he's going to be a gem.

Personally - I've soured a little on Verhaghe - I'm hoping I'm wrong, but he seems to have stalled slightly.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
It's probably getting silly that Sam Carrick still hasn't been voted in. I like our prospects but I'm not sure our pool is that deep. I can't tell if we're underrating Carrick (who seems like a pretty good bet to be an NHLer) or overrating many of our other prospects.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Carrick,

I would like to add Rupert (who is a good sign that our pool of prospects is pretty deep, given that he's a looking like a good little player, and he probably does belong fairly far down the list).

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

The ranking is your own opinion, so everyone rates potential and likelihood of making it differently. Basically, vote however you like.

I need to see more from Hyman before I would vote for him. He seems similar to an average college free agent whose level could be anywhere from ECHL to NHL. We'll know more about him by December- same with Soshnikov. They may either shoot way up the charts quickly or disappear altogether. We'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's probably getting silly that Sam Carrick still hasn't been voted in. I like our prospects but I'm not sure our pool is that deep. I can't tell if we're underrating Carrick (who seems like a pretty good bet to be an NHLer) or overrating many of our other prospects.

Anyway, I'm sticking with Carrick,

I would like to add Rupert (who is a good sign that our pool of prospects is pretty deep, given that he's a looking like a good little player, and he probably does belong fairly far down the list).

I think on average NHL teams hit around ~40% on their prospect pool of finding players that play +100 NHL games.

So you're looking at 4-5 of your top 10 and maybe 8 of your top 20 prospects that go on to have NHL careers.

Once you start getting into this late teens and early 20's that NHL impact is expected to me minimal as 4th liners and bottom 6 Dmen used mainly as injury fill-ins at times. So its hard to say if a player like Carrick will ever play 100 NHL games in his career and have any real impact at the NHL level.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I think on average NHL teams hit around ~40% on their prospect pool of finding players that play +100 NHL games.

So you're looking at 4-5 of your top 10 and maybe 8 of your top 20 prospects that go on to have NHL careers.

Once you start getting into this late teens and early 20's that NHL impact is expected to me minimal as 4th liners and bottom 6 Dmen used mainly as injury fill-ins at times. So its hard to say if a player like Carrick will ever play 100 NHL games in his career and have any real impact at the NHL level.

I suspect our rankings are not a reliable indicator of future NHL success, so I think our prospects can breathe a sigh of relief about that. :D

All I can say about Carrick is that he impressed me the most of any of our Marlies players in the playoff games I watched this past spring. He looks to have NHL smarts to me, and I would like to see him get that chance. However, the lineup is crowded and it will be a challenge to be lights-out better than the UFAs we've signed this off season. Curious to see where he ends up.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Well look at players like McClement.

Would I take a McClement over the potential of say Brown or even Valiev?

Carrick could play 200 games which would definitely mean he's a great pick, but I bet there isn't a team that hasn't selected a Carrick in the draft. All teams have Carricks. Carrick becoming a NHL player probably isn't indicative of great drafting, just odds that some 5th., 6th., 7th. rounders do make it.

Great drafting would be if Leafs picks from 1st. to 7th. round were more successful, and more successful compared to other players from the same draft on a consistent basis. Making it on a bottom feeder is quite different than making it on a consistent contender.

I like the way the Leafs approached this draft, swinging for the fences, although Lamoriello might not have taken the same approach.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Carrick could play 200 games which would definitely mean he's a great pick, but I bet there isn't a team that hasn't selected a Carrick in the draft. All teams have Carricks. Carrick becoming a NHL player probably isn't indicative of great drafting, just odds that some 5th., 6th., 7th. rounders do make it.

Great drafting would be if Leafs picks from 1st. to 7th. round were more successful, and more successful compared to other players from the same draft on a consistent basis. Making it on a bottom feeder is quite different than making it on a consistent contender.

I like the way the Leafs approached this draft, swinging for the fences, although Lamoriello might not have taken the same approach.

Agree on all accounts.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

McClement is a good example. He has played 764 games in the NHL. If Carrick has that sort of career- which seems at least possible- than I think he's a better prospect than we currently have him rated.

The question here is not who we should draft (scorers or otherwise), but who of our current prospects are the best ones. Of course everyone uses their own criteria, which is fine.

All I'm saying is, for me, we likely have Carrick rated too low.

Time will tell of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad