Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Linden retired years ago

Stupid work issued Blackberry :rant:

Lindgren please - I REALLY think that he's in this range, but not yet an option on the polls - I'm not complaining - as that would be rude, and I DO appreciate the effort to put this together - but I've noticed I'm not the only one asking for him to be added.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It's starting to get harder ... for some of the guys I see in this range (unsure of order):

• Leivo: Realistic Potential = very good 3rd line winger with size & skill, who can fill in on the 2nd line when needed. Probability to Hit Potential: Medium - High
  • Valiev: Realistic Potential: Top 4 2-way D Probability to Hit Potential: Medium
  • Lindgren: Realistic Potential: Top 4 2-way D who can fill in on the top pairing Probability to Hit Potential: Low - Medium
  • Bibeau: Realistic Potential: 1B / 2A Goalie Probability to Hit Potential: Medium
  • Korostelev: Realistic Potential: Top 6 Winger Probability to Hit Potential: Low - Medium
  • Timashyov: Realistic Potential: Dynamic Top 6 Winger Probability to Hit Potential: Low

Number13

May 21, 2007
Soshnikov, he looks to be a real promising prospect, and has already had a very strong season against men.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Lol, what do people see in Josh Leivo? Really? Um, how about that he's pretty good?

Have you guys actually watched him play? The only thing keeping him out of the NHL is consistency, which has always been his major flaw.

NHL size? Check
NHL speed? Check
NHL skating? Check
Good stick handler? Great actually
Good shot? Great actually
Physical? Yes, but not consistently
Goes to the corners? Check
Cycles? One of his strengths

Don't people realize that the whole Marlies team couldn't put the puck in the net before Nylander came? Then when he did it wasn't Leivo who got to play with him. Look at Spencer Abbott's production last year compared to the year prior and compared to after he was dealt to Rockford.

I'm not a big Leivo fan boy, but objectively he is a great prospect and still is. Consistency is extremely important so it's not like I'm brushing that under the rug. But if he played a full season with the Leafs and was allowed to go through the ups and downs I wouldn't be surprised if he potted 15 goals.

Sheesh. How some of you forget so quickly I'll never understand...

I think its a fair question to ask, especially for those that aren't very familiar with the player... no need to get antsy :)

The bolded is probably debatable or can be said about most NHL prospects, really... I mean, if he truly excelled at all of those facets, one would think he'd be producing at a higher rate...

Its also discouraging to see a player statistically get worse between two pro seasons... I understand not excelling when transitioning to pro or that players may have their ups and downs but it just raises a red flag to me...

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Finn underrated. One bad season..1st as a pro..Leaf nation is unforgiving.

Not unforgiving, just uninformed (for the most part) and short-sighted :laugh:

It's good we only do this once a year, as it would change quite a bit if we did it every couple of months throughout the season! :help:

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Lol, what do people see in Josh Leivo? Really? Um, how about that he's pretty good?

Have you guys actually watched him play? The only thing keeping him out of the NHL is consistency, which has always been his major flaw.

NHL size? Check
NHL speed? Check
NHL skating? Check
Good stick handler? Great actually
Good shot? Great actually
Physical? Yes, but not consistently
Goes to the corners? Check
Cycles? One of his strengths

Don't people realize that the whole Marlies team couldn't put the puck in the net before Nylander came? Then when he did it wasn't Leivo who got to play with him. Look at Spencer Abbott's production last year compared to the year prior and compared to after he was dealt to Rockford.

I'm not a big Leivo fan boy, but objectively he is a great prospect and still is. Consistency is extremely important so it's not like I'm brushing that under the rug. But if he played a full season with the Leafs and was allowed to go through the ups and downs I wouldn't be surprised if he potted 15 goals.

Sheesh. How some of you forget so quickly I'll never understand...

Great post.

Audacious416

Sep 30, 2007
Stupid work issued Blackberry :rant:

Lindgren please - I REALLY think that he's in this range, but not yet an option on the polls - I'm not complaining - as that would be rude, and I DO appreciate the effort to put this together - but I've noticed I'm not the only one asking for him to be added.

I totally agree.

Add, Lindgren.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Hyman. Really surprised he's getting no love.

His last season was spectacular and watching him live, you see some serious potential for a PWF type. He's got size and skill.

I would consider Valiev ahead of him but not Leivo.

NotSince67*

This whole poll just drives me nuts.... No offense but I don't understand how you guys are so big on some of these guys and completely overlook established players. Like a 22 year old who's one of the best offensive threats on the Marlies is getting ranked 13th and guys like Soshnikov, Timoshov and Verhaeghe are still getting votes above him...

Not to mention him, Carrick and Granberg have spent time in the NHL....

"I love all these later round picks putting up big numbers in the CHL and Europe, they're gonna be STARS. Way better than these guys who are cracking an NHL roster"

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
This whole poll just drives me nuts.... No offense but I don't understand how you guys are so big on some of these guys and completely overlook established players. Like a 22 year old who's one of the best offensive threats on the Marlies is getting ranked 13th and guys like Soshnikov, Timoshov and Verhaeghe are still getting votes above him...

"I love all these later round picks putting up big numbers in the CHL and Europe, they're gonna be STARS. Way better than these guys who are cracking an NHL roster"

Normally "you guys" refers the the majority of people but in this case is just a select few posters. Leivo is winning this poll easily.

It is pretty weird that 6 people have voted for 7th round pick Korostelev.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin

It's good we only do this once a year, as it would change quite a bit if we did it every couple of months throughout the season! :help:

That's a very good idea. We need a winter edition too!!! :D

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
You have Sam Carrick on both lists.

A bitt off-topic: Wasn't Casey Bailey like on of the top (top-5?) college free agents this season, And it looks like he won't even sniff top 20 in our list. Not saying he should (or shouldn't), just curious what his prospect status is.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It's neither. He just had a rough year. If you look at successful NHL players, they usually don't have write-off seasons like that during their development. Doesn't mean he's gone forever and won't be forgiven, but you can't ignore a season like that.

Why would that be a problem? Connor Brown was a much better prospect in April than he was in November.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It's neither. He just had a rough year. If you look at successful NHL players, they usually don't have write-off seasons like that during their development. Doesn't mean he's gone forever and won't be forgiven, but you can't ignore a season like that.

Why would that be a problem? Connor Brown was a much better prospect in April than he was in November.

By "short sighted" - I meant 'what have you done for me lately'. One off season (which is normal for a developing player) can sour people on a prospect, only to have them jump up the rankings again when they turn it around.

People tend to be split between "potential" and "chance of playing in the NHL". Guys like Leivo, Carrick, and Bailey all have a good chance to become effective NHL players of the top 9, bottom 6 ilk - where as guys like Korostelev, Timashyov, and Dzierkals have dynamic top 6 upside, but we haven't seen enough of them to know for sure.

For some, the excitement of the potential wins, for others, it's the likelihood of making the NHL.

Personally - I try to vote with a combination of both.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
You have Sam Carrick on both lists.

A bitt off-topic: Wasn't Casey Bailey like on of the top (top-5?) college free agents this season, And it looks like he won't even sniff top 20 in our list. Not saying he should (or shouldn't), just curious what his prospect status is.

Well he should be on the list, which he isn't, so he won't get much of a sniff until he is. I think he should fall in the 15-20 range. It is a little difficult to judge prospects when so many are coming from different leagues & different teams. Put them all on the Marlies & then we will have a much better ranking. From 10-20 you could probably argue that many are interchangeable.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

It's subjective. People have different opinions. Maybe they'll prove to be right. Maybe we'll all prove to be wrong. Who knows?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's subjective. People have different opinions. Maybe they'll prove to be right. Maybe we'll all prove to be wrong. Who knows?

Before this last draft (April 2015) Dave Morrison ranked the Leafs prospect pool.

1) Nylander
2) Percy
3) Bibeau
4) Leipsic
5) Brown
6) Gauthier
7) Valiev
8) Leivo
9) Johnson
10) Granberg

Bibeau was ranked #3 by Leafs director of amateur scouting, ahead of players like Brown, Leipsic and Gauthier and he is not even in Leafs board top 12 now so its all subjective based on who is doing the evaluations. ;)

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Before this last draft (April 2015) Dave Morrison ranked the Leafs prospect pool.

1) Nylander
2) Percy
3) Bibeau
4) Leipsic
5) Brown
6) Gauthier
7) Valiev
8) Leivo
9) Johnson
10) Granberg

Bibeau was ranked #3 by Leafs director of amateur scouting, ahead of players like Brown, Leipsic and Gauthier and he is not even in Leafs board top 12 now so its all subjective based on who is doing the evaluations. ;)

Look on the bright side

He will be the #1 Ranked Goalie

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
By "short sighted" - I meant 'what have you done for me lately'. One off season (which is normal for a developing player) can sour people on a prospect, only to have them jump up the rankings again when they turn it around.

I fail to see the problem with this. Bad years are bad.

Personally - I try to vote with a combination of both.

Everyone does. They just have different weights.

I was voting for Brown 4th, Gauthier 5th, Johnson 6th, Harrington 7th. Pretty back and fourth there in terms of potential vs. safety.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002

1) Nylander
2) Percy
3) Bibeau
4) Leipsic
5) Brown
6) Gauthier
7) Valiev
8) Leivo
9) Johnson
10) Granberg

Did he really provide a ranking of his personal top 10?? Somehow I missed that. :)

My sense of our goalies is that all three are decent prospects and that they're all kind of at a similar level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad