Prospect Info: 2015 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
It's close but I voted Nylander this time around. His transition this season from the SHL, WJC and AHL really impressed me. Marner/Nylander are 1A/1B at this point

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Marner is a great player, and maybe next season's production will change my mind, but I think people forget just how incredible Nylander's production was last year.

20pts in 21gp on a Modo team that was the worst scoring team in the SHL last year. Nylander was 4 points off the MODO scoring lead, despite playing 30 less games than the leader. Recorded the third best U19 PPG in SHL history (behind only Tomas Sandstrom and Markus Naslund). Also recording the 8th best PPG in AHL history for a U19 player.

Both are #1C IMO though, with Marner being the more well-rounded player. I just think Nylander's production in the NHL is going to be off the charts good

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
William Nylander. He'll be the best player from this group in the NHL imo and he has a chance to be a center. Something I don't think Marner will be, despite what Hunter and the groupthink around here says.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
New toy always wins. Correct answer is Nylander but Marner could overtake him potentially.

2ppg OHL vs PPG SHL AHL. More impressed with results against men.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
A few people are seriously underestimating Marner's accomplishments. Using league equivalencies, his 2.0 ppg OHL production translates to 0.90 ppg in the AHL. That is better than Nylander's 0.86 this year despite being a year younger.

Marner is *already* a better player than Nylander, and he's a year younger and less physically developed for his age.

Like, this one isn't even close, as the poll numbers reflect.

Lol at this guy. Claiming Marner is better than Nylander based on conjecture and theories. Let's see what Marner does against Men before suggesting he's going to score at a 0.9 PPG in the AHL.

Using a poll on the Leafs board to validate your bias opinion is cringe-worthy quite honestly.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
while i went with marner, it was insane thinking that we have two prospects that have chance at becoming superstars, nylander is probably our best draft pick since kaberle(and he was a massive steal) he might be our best prospect ever and he is easily a top 10 nhl prospect without the 2015 draft factoring in. Its insane how quickly we are re upping our prospect cup boards. Marner has the potential to become a 100 point player imo at best but nylander is not too behind i think he has the max potential of becoming a 90 point player, Factor in a guy like kapenen(who will be amazing for us) along with the underrated brown, we have 4 legit top 50 prospects in the league. Along with other skilled guys like leipsic, percy, dermott, gauthier etc. The leafs future is looking bright, if all goes well we can contend by 2017/2018 for the cup

This is so optimistic haha

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lol at this guy. Claiming Marner is better than Nylander based on conjecture and theories. Let's see what Marner does against Men before suggesting he's going to score at a 0.9 PPG in the AHL.

Using a poll on the Leafs board to validate your bias opinion is cringe-worthy quite honestly.

Nothing lol-worthy there. He backs up his opinion with pretty established numbers with a huge sample size. That's better than what most do.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Different people cringe at different things. For me, its people that name themselves after a prospect (especially pre-draft), and then discuss them like they don't have a bias.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Nothing lol-worthy there. He backs up his opinion with pretty established numbers with a huge sample size. That's better than what most do.

It's speculation, there's no facts there which point to Marner being able to put up 0.9 PPG against Men as a 17 year old.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Different people cringe at different things. For me, its people that name themselves after a prospect (especially pre-draft), and then discuss them like they don't have a bias.

And discussing my username is relevant to this thread how exactly? I know what you tried to there, very subtle.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's speculation, there's no facts there which point to Marner being able to put up 0.9 PPG against Men as a 17 year old.

Connor Brown put up 128pts in the OHL and is the same size, picked 6th round by us. How does that translate? Did we get Connor Brown 2.0 only with a 4th pick?

Don't have the link for the "you can't do that ref". But I think it applies to such speculation.

Does this math of Semantics include size and weight? I doubt it. Maybe guys 160lbs wet convert from 2ppg to .65 AHL PPG. Who knows.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

Marner was also picked higher, in a better draft.... based on draft year, he probably would have gone top-3 in Nylander's draft, if not first overall.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Marner was also picked higher, in a better draft.... based on draft year, he probably would have gone top-3 in Nylander's draft, if not first overall.

If that draft were done again after last year it would be Ekblad then Nylander and there is no way in hell Marner bumps Ekblad.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Maybe in a few years you could say nylander would go 2nd in a redraft but the only guys he goes ahead of now are prob Fleury and virtanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln