2015 IIHF World Championship: May 1-17 in Czech Republic (Eichel, Ennis)

Broken Glass

Mr. Hobey Baker
Dec 6, 2013
Buffalo
Watched the whole game today, Eichel was definitely one of if not the most noticeable player on the ice. Made a beaut saucer on the PP but nothing came of it. Looking forward to Friday!

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
What is the deal with this squad team USA is icing???? Half of it are not even NHL players while Canada has an all-star team by comparison.

Is this intentional or no one willing to play? Should be able to snag a bunch of Blues among others you would think.

It is like there only goal is to not get relegated.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/t...treating-worlds-like-the-podunk-silver-stick/

The sad thing about it is USA Hockey actually didn’t have that much of a choice. It was turned down by so many players that it had to go outside the NHL – really, really far outside the NHL in some cases – in order to put a team together for the tournament. And until American players start taking the opportunity to play in this event seriously, they’re going to get fairly predictable results.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Team Canada Men @HC_Men - #TeamCanada defeats Austria 4-2 in Vienna - opens #MensWorlds on Friday vs Latvia.

Austria Goal #1 - 6:55 - EQ - 1:0 - 12-RAFFL Michael (89-HERBURGER Raphael, 7-LEBLER Brian).
Canada Goal #1 - 9:24 - EQ - 1:1 - 28-GIROUX Claude (91-SEGUIN Tyler, 63-ENNIS Tyler).
Austria Goal #2 - 11:51 - PPG - 2:1 - 89-HERBURGER Raphael (12-RAFFL Michael, 48-IBERER Florian).
Canada Goal #2 - 23:11 - EQ - 2:2 - 63-ENNIS Tyler (28-GIROUX Claude, 6-MUZZIN Jake).
Canada Goal #3 - 26:11 - EQ - 2:3 - 2-FRASER Jamie (58-SAVARD David).

http://liveticker.laola1.at/eishockey/oeehv_livescores/livescores/20556.html

Stats stopped updating after the second period - no word on who scored the fourth Canada goal.

IIHF World Hockey Championships - Canadian TV Schedule - Friday, May 1.

Canada vs Latvia - 10:00 am ET - LIVE on TSN1 - TSN3 - TSN4 - TSN5. United States vs Finland - 10:00 am ET - LIVE on TSN2.
Czech Republic vs Sweden - 2:00 pm ET - LIVE on TSN1 - TSN3 - TSN5. Russia vs Norway - 2:00 pm ET - LIVE on TSN2 or TSN4.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hockey is a niche sport in America and the WCs are a niche event. No surprise really. Canada doesn't even take the event that serious most years.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Austria Goal #1 - 6:55 - EQ - 1:0 - 12 - RAFFL Michael (89 - HERBURGER Raphael, 7 - LEBLER Brian).
Canada Goal #1 - 9:24 - EQ - 1:1 - 28 - GIROUX Claude (91 - SEGUIN Tyler, 63 - ENNIS Tyler).
Austria Goal #2 - 11:51 - PPG - 2:1 - 89 - HERBURGER Raphael (12 - RAFFL Michael, 48 - IBERER Florian).
Canada Goal #2 - 23:11 - EQ - 2:2 - 63 - ENNIS Tyler (28 - GIROUX Claude, 6 - MUZZIN Jake).
Canada Goal #3 - 26:11 - EQ - 2:3 - 2 - FRASER Jamie (58 - SAVARD David).

http://liveticker.laola1.at/eishockey/oeehv_livescores/livescores/20556.html

Ok.... so who does Philly want for GIROUX. :sarcasm:

Bps21*

That's what he looks like when he plays.

It's going to be a lot of this with both Eichel and Renhart. Guys that know where to be already and dictate play...after decades of no talent hard compete guys with no hockey sense people will mistake that for lazy or uninterested. You know why it looks like Ellis and Kaltea play harder than everyone else? Because they have to...they aren't very good. We've forgotten what good players look like

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's going to be a lot of this with both Eichel and Renhart. Guys that know where to be already and dictate play...after decades of no talent hard compete guys with no hockey sense people will mistake that for lazy or uninterested. You know why it looks like Ellis and Kaltea play harder than everyone else? Because they have to...they aren't very good. We've forgotten what good players look like

I agree. Still, I have to mention that Eichel does have some issues with commitment to defensive responsibilities that Reinhart doesn't. Eichel was a good defensive player at BU with the talent and hockey sense to be an elite defender, in time, at the next level, but he definitely is not yet consistent with his responsibilities. Not much of a criticism for someone his age really but given the subject it's fair to mention.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
To be honest, nobody but Euros really care about the WCs. It's at a terrible time for NHLers (ie US and Canadians). You're either out of the playoffs, which mean you had a crap year and it's finally over, or you just got knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round, would you really want to go play more. A lot of these guys are happy it's finally the offseason, and don't want to commit to another month or 2 to playing. That's a month or 2 less of vacation time for them. And as mentioned, how many people (North Americans) really care about the WCs? Can you name the last 5 teams that won it without looking it up?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
To be honest, nobody but Euros really care about the WCs. It's at a terrible time for NHLers (ie US and Canadians). You're either out of the playoffs, which mean you had a crap year and it's finally over, or you just got knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round, would you really want to go play more. A lot of these guys are happy it's finally the offseason, and don't want to commit to another month or 2 to playing. That's a month or 2 less of vacation time for them. And as mentioned, how many people (North Americans) really care about the WCs? Can you name the last 5 teams that won it without looking it up?

While that's generally pretty true, as an absolute it'd severely underestimate how much some of these guys just simply love playing hockey. Especially for young players or role players it's a chance to spread their wings a bit. For others they can try to end their season on a high note. As a NA fan the tournament isn't a big deal to me but it's always a good opportunity to see some young players like Galchenyuk, Gaudreau, Eichel, etc play with and against seasoned pros.

monktbd

Powahlin
Oct 27, 2006
Habs territory

I think the main drawback is that the playoffs are still going on at this point which limits the pool of players quite a bit.
In Europe the season is usually over and the players already had their playoffs there as well.

While I do not want to compare the leagues themselves both players in the NHL that are out of the playoffs and players in Europe that finished their year would want a vacation so I am not sure that is a valid argument.

Arguably players in the NHL are more banged up at this point and need a proper rest to be fresh in October.

Bottomline is that the WC just counts much less here in North America simply because the NHL is in North America.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I agree. Still, I have to mention that Eichel does have some issues with commitment to defensive responsibilities that Reinhart doesn't. Eichel was a good defensive player at BU with the talent and hockey sense to be an elite defender, in time, at the next level, but he definitely is not yet consistent with his responsibilities. Not much of a criticism for someone his age really but given the subject it's fair to mention.

I would note that along with consistency, his defensive game needs more engaged play. Often in BU games he would be in position conservatively and would wait to see what the offensive player would do. With his athleticism he should take away time and space far more quickly than he did. A very fixable issue in my opinion. Urgency is easier to teach and learn than awareness, which he shows.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I would note that along with consistency, his defensive game needs more engaged play. Often in BU games he would be in position conservatively and would wait to see what the offensive player would do. With his athleticism he should take away time and space far more quickly than he did. A very fixable issue in my opinion. Urgency is easier to teach and learn than awareness, which he shows.

It's stuff like this that makes me feel he would be best served on the wing as a rookie.

gags6616

Mar 23, 2015
This tournament is a chance for the guys to get away, play hockey for the fun of it and get as drunk as they can. Dont look too much into results during this span.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's stuff like this that makes me feel he would be best served on the wing as a rookie.

Perhaps. It could also just be something he needs to develop on the fly with a couple competent defensive vets, gionta... it seems to me he might diminish one of his best assets in his transition offense on the wing.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
This tournament is a chance for the guys to get away, play hockey for the fun of it and get as drunk as they can. Dont look too much into results during this span.

Professional hockey players in their 20's, mostly single, going to Prague for a month. Seriously, look at Canada's roster.:laugh:

BRING HOME THE GOLD BABY! Just kidding. If your an NHLer and meet this criteria from NA and your not injured, I think it's hilarious that you wouldn't go of asked.

Couple friends will be around the area for 3-4 days, told tyty to show em a good time.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm sure Eichel has many areas that need improvement at the NHL level, but he was a +51 in Hockey East. Out of 40 games played, he was a minus four times. There were many games where BU was running around in their zone and he would take control of the situation with one of his subtle moves or smart passes. Additionally, he would often be on the first PK unit and was a 2-4-6 shorthanded. When I saw him killing penalties, I envisioned him out on the Sabres PK with Kane and what a threat that could be.

I'm not actually all that concerned about his defensive game.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@usahockey - Matt Hendricks named captain of 2015 United States Mens National Team for the 2015 IIHF World Championships.
Justin Faulk and Trevor Lewis to serve as alternate captains.

@usahockey - Jack Campbell - Anders Lee - Brock Nelson added to 2015 United States Mens National Team for the 2015 IIHF World Championships.
http://mensworlds.usahockey.com/news_article/show/502141?referrer_id=780184

Forward Stefan Matteau has returned to the United States after suffering an injury in the team's exhibition game against Austria on Tuesday, April 28.

NBCSN To Televise United States Mens National Team Games - Plus Quarterfinals/Semifinals/Bronze Medal/Gold Medal Games -
2015 IIHF World Championships -
http://mensworlds.usahockey.com/news_article/show/508221?referrer_id=780184

TSN Delivers Complete Coverage Of 2015 IIHF World Championships - TV Schedule Included - http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-delivers-complete-coverage-of-iihf-world-championship-1.270305

Team Canada Men @HC_Men - Sidney Crosby will wear the 'C' for Canada at the 2015 IIHF Worlds.
Team Canada Men @HC_Men - Dan Hamhuis and Jason Spezza will serve as alternate captains for Canada at 2015 IIHF Worlds.

Team Canada Roster - 2015 IIHF World Championships - http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster/show/1341089-canada?_ga=1.149345270.1536520705.1387324984

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@pham1717: Rosters have been released for the World Championships. Girgensons hoped to play for Latvia, but must not be ready as he's not on the roster

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@USAHockeyScores - United States Forward Lines - vs Finland - Lee-Arcobello-Morin - Hendricks-Larkin-Sexton -
Vesey-Eichel-Lewis - Nelson-Bonino-Moses - Smith.

@USAHockeyScores - United States Defense Pairings - vs Finland - Krug-Faulk - Reilly-Jones - Moore-Murphy - Gardiner.
Goalie - (Starter) - Kellebuyck - (Backup) - Lyon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad